Glorp in VW 7.7: How good is it?

Winemiller, Chris

All,

I assume the latest Glorp bundle (7.8 - 4,nross) in the Cincom public repository works correctly in a VW 7.7 image, and it is also the preferred version of Glorp.

Is that version of Glorp robust and stable enough to be used reliably in a commercial software product built on VW 7.7?  By “robust” I mean that its performance is reasonably good and will degrade gracefully with increasing workload.  By “stable” I mean correct behavior (no significant known bugs).

Does anyone know of actual commercial products using Glorp?

Chris

Re: Glorp in VW 7.7: How good is it?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

Chris,

The core product now uses Glorp as a basis for its source control management part, so I'd imagine it's in decent enough shape. In addition, Cincom's Web Velocity also uses Glorp as a database layer for building persistent applications. There are quite a few test cases in the GlorpTest bundle if you want to be sure.

HTH,

-Boris

--

DeepCove Labs Ltd.

+1 (604) 689-0322

4th floor, 595 Howe Street

Vancouver, British Columbia

Canada V6C 2T5

http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

PacNet Services (Europe) Ltd.

+353 (0)61 714-360

Shannon Airport House, SFZ

County Clare, Ireland

http://tinyurl.com/y952amr

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete the entire message including any attachments.

Thank you.

Re: Glorp in VW 7.7: How good is it?

davidbuck
In VW7.7, Glorp is the infrastructure that Store uses to interface with the database. I think that qualifies as a commercial product. It had better be pretty stable if I'm going to trust my source code to it.

David Buck
Simberon Inc.
www.simberon.com

Winemiller, Chris wrote:

All,

I assume the latest Glorp bundle (7.8 - 4,nross) in the Cincom public repository works correctly in a VW 7.7 image, and it is also the preferred version of Glorp.

Is that version of Glorp robust and stable enough to be used reliably in a commercial software product built on VW 7.7?  By “robust” I mean that its performance is reasonably good and will degrade gracefully with increasing workload.  By “stable” I mean correct behavior (no significant known bugs).

Does anyone know of actual commercial products using Glorp?

Chris

Re: Glorp in VW 7.7: How good is it?

Rick Flower
I've been using it on and off for a couple of years and it always
works as advertised.. Its a very well thought out piece of s/w!

On Fri, 14 May 2010 11:25:41 -0400, David Buck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In VW7.7, Glorp is the infrastructure that Store uses to interface with
> the database. I think that qualifies as a commercial product. It had
> better be pretty stable if I'm going to trust my source code to it.
>
> David Buck
> Simberon Inc.
> www.simberon.com
>
> Winemiller, Chris wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>

>> I assume the latest Glorp bundle (7.8 - 4,nross) in the Cincom public
>> repository works correctly in a VW 7.7 image, and it is also the
>> preferred version of Glorp.
>>

>> Is that version of Glorp robust and stable enough to be used reliably
>> in a commercial software product built on VW 7.7?  By "robust" I mean
>> that its performance is reasonably good and will degrade gracefully
>> with increasing workload.  By "stable" I mean correct behavior (no
>> significant known bugs).
>>

>> Does anyone know of actual commercial products using Glorp?
>>

>> *Chris*

05/14/10
>> 02:26:00

Re: Glorp in VW 7.7: How good is it?

Niall Ross
Dear Chris,
any pundle with version beginning '7.8 - ' is _not_ _guaranteed_ to work
OK in a 7.7 image. The latest bundle with version beginning '7.7 - ' is
the one you should look for. That is 7.7 - 70, which is also the version
provided as a parcel in the VW7.7 distribution.

(As the text for 7.8 - 4's blessing 'Make default platform settings the
same in Glorp and Store', indicates, it coordinates with Store changes
and those have not been replicated to the OR AFAICS. Thus it should
definitely not be used in 7.7. I have no idea why it was replicated; I
assume for the convenience of some vwdev user.)

We certainly regard Glorp as suitable for commercial use in VW. It is a
key part of our own WebVelocity offering.

Yours faithfully
Niall Ross