Gofer support for Universes

Miguel Cobá
Stéphane, Lukas,

I have uploaded

Gofer-Core-MiguelCoba.124
Gofer-Tests-MiguelCoba.117

to PharoInbox repository on squeaksource.

They are based on the versions of gofer in Pharo 1.0
Gofer-Core-MarkusDenker.117
Gofer-Tests-MarkusDenker.116

and add universes support to gofer.

What do you think, are they worth integrating to mainstream gofer?
Does this functionality belongs to Gofer? I know of GoferProjectLoader,
but it isn't part of PharoCore, so that discards it right now.

What is the procedure to merge it to trunk gofer, if so decided, so that

Gofer upgrade

in any Pharo image gets this new version?

Cheers
--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Gofer support for Universes

Lukas Renggli
I'll have a look when I am back from holidays.

Two questions arise:

- Is Universe still relevant and maintained by anybody these days?
Looks like all current code is managed with Metacello nowadays.

- Gofer was designed to make Monticello scriptable. How do actions
like commit and merge map to Gofer?

Lukas

On Wednesday, August 4, 2010, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stéphane, Lukas,
>
> I have uploaded
>
> Gofer-Core-MiguelCoba.124
> Gofer-Tests-MiguelCoba.117
>
> to PharoInbox repository on squeaksource.
>
> They are based on the versions of gofer in Pharo 1.0
> Gofer-Core-MarkusDenker.117
> Gofer-Tests-MarkusDenker.116
>
> and add universes support to gofer.
>
> What do you think, are they worth integrating to mainstream gofer?
> Does this functionality belongs to Gofer? I know of GoferProjectLoader,
> but it isn't part of PharoCore, so that discards it right now.
>
> What is the procedure to merge it to trunk gofer, if so decided, so that
>
> Gofer upgrade
>
> in any Pharo image gets this new version?
>
> Cheers
> --
> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Gofer support for Universes

Miguel

Who is maintaining Universe?
What is the state of the software managed by Universes?
We want to have "certified" loadable, self contained robust distributions.
It will take time but we will get there.
So I would not pollute gofer with Universe.

Stef

> Stéphane, Lukas,
>
> I have uploaded
>
> Gofer-Core-MiguelCoba.124
> Gofer-Tests-MiguelCoba.117
>
> to PharoInbox repository on squeaksource.
>
> They are based on the versions of gofer in Pharo 1.0
> Gofer-Core-MarkusDenker.117
> Gofer-Tests-MarkusDenker.116
>
> and add universes support to gofer.
>
> What do you think, are they worth integrating to mainstream gofer?
> Does this functionality belongs to Gofer? I know of GoferProjectLoader,
> but it isn't part of PharoCore, so that discards it right now.
>
> What is the procedure to merge it to trunk gofer, if so decided, so that
>
> Gofer upgrade
>
> in any Pharo image gets this new version?
>
> Cheers
> --
> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Gofer support for Universes

SergeStinckwich
I think you miss the point of Miguel.

This is not the previous "Universe" but just repositories of
ConfigurationOfXXX for Pharo 1.0&1.1.

Maybe the name is misleading.

Regards,

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll have a look when I am back from holidays.
>
> Two questions arise:
>
> - Is Universe still relevant and maintained by anybody these days?
> Looks like all current code is managed with Metacello nowadays.
>
> - Gofer was designed to make Monticello scriptable. How do actions
> like commit and merge map to Gofer?
>
> Lukas
>
> On Wednesday, August 4, 2010, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Stéphane, Lukas,
>>
>> I have uploaded
>>
>> Gofer-Core-MiguelCoba.124
>> Gofer-Tests-MiguelCoba.117
>>
>> to PharoInbox repository on squeaksource.
>>
>> They are based on the versions of gofer in Pharo 1.0
>> Gofer-Core-MarkusDenker.117
>> Gofer-Tests-MarkusDenker.116
>>
>> and add universes support to gofer.
>>
>> What do you think, are they worth integrating to mainstream gofer?
>> Does this functionality belongs to Gofer? I know of GoferProjectLoader,
>> but it isn't part of PharoCore, so that discards it right now.
>>
>> What is the procedure to merge it to trunk gofer, if so decided, so that
>>
>> Gofer upgrade
>>
>> in any Pharo image gets this new version?
>>
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Miguel Cobá
>> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Gofer support for Universes

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes I saw that. and yes the name is really misleading.
We should call that MetacelloRepositories
Stef

On Aug 4, 2010, at 11:45 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> I think you miss the point of Miguel.
>
> This is not the previous "Universe" but just repositories of
> ConfigurationOfXXX for Pharo 1.0&1.1.
>
> Maybe the name is misleading.
>
> Regards,
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'll have a look when I am back from holidays.
>>
>> Two questions arise:
>>
>> - Is Universe still relevant and maintained by anybody these days?
>> Looks like all current code is managed with Metacello nowadays.
>>
>> - Gofer was designed to make Monticello scriptable. How do actions
>> like commit and merge map to Gofer?
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> On Wednesday, August 4, 2010, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Stéphane, Lukas,
>>>
>>> I have uploaded
>>>
>>> Gofer-Core-MiguelCoba.124
>>> Gofer-Tests-MiguelCoba.117
>>>
>>> to PharoInbox repository on squeaksource.
>>>
>>> They are based on the versions of gofer in Pharo 1.0
>>> Gofer-Core-MarkusDenker.117
>>> Gofer-Tests-MarkusDenker.116
>>>
>>> and add universes support to gofer.
>>>
>>> What do you think, are they worth integrating to mainstream gofer?
>>> Does this functionality belongs to Gofer? I know of GoferProjectLoader,
>>> but it isn't part of PharoCore, so that discards it right now.
>>>
>>> What is the procedure to merge it to trunk gofer, if so decided, so that
>>>
>>> Gofer upgrade
>>>
>>> in any Pharo image gets this new version?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> --
>>> Miguel Cobá
>>> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Gofer support for Universes

EstebanLM
GoferProjectLoader does that, and I think it does it fine (althought is
my child, he)... and it is not at core versions because no body has
decided so, yet... but stef can change his mind :)

Cheers,
Esteban

On 2010-08-04 05:27:07 -0300, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez

El mié, 04-08-2010 a las 11:26 +0200, Lukas Renggli escribió:
> I'll have a look when I am back from holidays.
>
> Two questions arise:
>
> - Is Universe still relevant and maintained by anybody these days?
> Looks like all current code is managed with Metacello nowadays.
>
> - Gofer was designed to make Monticello scriptable. How do actions
> like commit and merge map to Gofer?

Sorry for the confusion. Indeed the Universes name is already overloaded
and has a tradition in Squeak...

But we are Pharo! :)

I meant the Metacello Universes that I created in squeaksource.com

UniverseForPharo10
UniverseForPharo11
UniverseForPharo12
UniverseForPharoXX

that contains only Metacello Configurations of packages that are tested
and working on the corresponding Pharo release.

It has nothing to do with the old squeak universes.

Cheers

El mié, 04-08-2010 a las 09:15 -0300, Esteban Lorenzano escribió:
> Hi,
> GoferProjectLoader does that, and I think it does it fine (althought is
> my child, he)... and it is not at core versions because no body has
> decided so, yet... but stef can change his mind :)

Yes, I know. I mentioned GoferProjectLoader in the Universes announce.
I know that maybe this functionality belongs to GoferProjectLoader and
not to Gofer, but currently, Gofer is officially in PharoCore and
GoferProjectLoader isn't.
That is the only reason. If GoferProjectLoader is a core package I will
the most happy to use it to access the pharo universes :)

Cheers
--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx