GoferApiTest failing (WinXP)

Ch Lamprecht
Hello to everybody,

running the tests in latest images PharoCore-1.1 and 1.0 on WinXP I see
GoferApiTest>>#testSubDirectoryRepository failing.
It could be fixed by changing

MCSubDirectoryRepository>>#description

+ ^ directory pathName, FileDirectory slash , '*'
- ^ directory pathName, '/*'

The current implementation works because '/' and '\' both are valid path
separators on windows. Assuming '/' as path delimiter would cause trouble with
MacFileDirectory - but that might be obsolete anyway.
So may be the test is too strict?

I just started to follow this list and the Pharo project ('Recreational
programmer' btw. - thanks for the kind welcome message ;) ). Should I report
this? And if so: It is a MC issue, should it be reported using the Pharo tracker
or somewere else?

Cheers, Christoph

Re: GoferApiTest failing (WinXP)

Lukas Renggli
> running the tests in latest images PharoCore-1.1 and 1.0 on WinXP I see
> GoferApiTest>>#testSubDirectoryRepository failing.

Are you sure that you use the latest Gofer code, because I think I
fixed that a while back.

> It could be fixed by changing
>
> MCSubDirectoryRepository>>#description
>
> +       ^ directory pathName, FileDirectory slash , '*'
> -       ^ directory pathName, '/*'
>
> The current implementation works because '/' and '\' both are valid path
> separators on windows. Assuming '/' as path delimiter would cause trouble with
> MacFileDirectory - but that might be obsolete anyway.
> So may be the test is too strict?

I bet that breaks the tests on all platforms other than Windows.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli schrieb:
>> running the tests in latest images PharoCore-1.1 and 1.0 on WinXP I see
>> GoferApiTest>>#testSubDirectoryRepository failing.
>
> Are you sure that you use the latest Gofer code, because I think I
> fixed that a while back.

I just ran the tests that come with

PharoCore-1.0-10508
PharoCore-1.1-11196

using the image as it is.

I updated to Gofer-Tests lr.115 and now I see, that #testSubDirectoryRepository
has been removed in that version...

>> It could be fixed by changing
>>
>> MCSubDirectoryRepository>>#description
>>
>> +       ^ directory pathName, FileDirectory slash , '*'
>> -       ^ directory pathName, '/*'
>>
>> The current implementation works because '/' and '\' both are valid path
>> separators on windows. Assuming '/' as path delimiter would cause trouble with
>> MacFileDirectory - but that might be obsolete anyway.
>> So may be the test is too strict?
>
> I bet that breaks the tests on all platforms other than Windows.

Why do you think so? Is 'FileDirectory slash' broken on platforms other than
Windows?

On 14 February 2010 09:26, Ch Lamprecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lukas Renggli schrieb:
>>> running the tests in latest images PharoCore-1.1 and 1.0 on WinXP I see
>>> GoferApiTest>>#testSubDirectoryRepository failing.
>>
>> Are you sure that you use the latest Gofer code, because I think I
>> fixed that a while back.
>>
> I just ran the tests that come with
>
> PharoCore-1.0-10508
> PharoCore-1.1-11196
>
> using the image as it is.
>
> I updated to Gofer-Tests lr.115 and now I see, that #testSubDirectoryRepository
> has been removed in that version...
>
>>> It could be fixed by changing
>>>
>>> MCSubDirectoryRepository>>#description
>>>
>>> +       ^ directory pathName, FileDirectory slash , '*'
>>> -       ^ directory pathName, '/*'
>>>
>>> The current implementation works because '/' and '\' both are valid path
>>> separators on windows. Assuming '/' as path delimiter would cause trouble with
>>> MacFileDirectory - but that might be obsolete anyway.
>>> So may be the test is too strict?
>>
>> I bet that breaks the tests on all platforms other than Windows.
>
> Why do you think so? Is 'FileDirectory slash' broken on platforms other than
> Windows?

All code that uses FileDirectory is full of these kind of bugs.
Working with paths and file-names on the bases of strings is never
really platform independent. Pharo should move on and adopt
Filesystem.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: GoferApiTest failing (WinXP)

Stéphane Ducasse

> All code that uses FileDirectory is full of these kind of bugs.
> Working with paths and file-names on the bases of strings is never
> really platform independent. Pharo should move on and adopt
> Filesystem.

This is the idea. Now lukas I would like to see the interface of FileSystem
a bit more user friendly see the reply to our answers.

I would love to use FileSystem for Coral so the api is really important for
scripting.

Re: GoferApiTest failing (WinXP)

Lukas Renggli
> This is the idea. Now lukas I would like to see the interface of FileSystem
> a bit more user friendly see the reply to our answers.
>
> I would love to use FileSystem for Coral so the api is really important for
> scripting.

Yeah, the Filesystem API is currently quite verbose in many parts.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: GoferApiTest failing (WinXP)

Stéphane Ducasse
I think that with some practice it can stabilize in something nice.
I do not know if colin is interested into that - probably.
Stef

On Feb 14, 2010, at 12:01 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> This is the idea. Now lukas I would like to see the interface of FileSystem
>> a bit more user friendly see the reply to our answers.
>>
>> I would love to use FileSystem for Coral so the api is really important for
>> scripting.
>
> Yeah, the Filesystem API is currently quite verbose in many parts.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: GoferApiTest failing (WinXP)

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 12:46 AM, Ch Lamprecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello to everybody,

running the tests in latest images PharoCore-1.1 and 1.0 on WinXP I see
GoferApiTest>>#testSubDirectoryRepository failing.
It could be fixed by changing

MCSubDirectoryRepository>>#description

+       ^ directory pathName, FileDirectory slash , '*'
-       ^ directory pathName, '/*'

The current implementation works because '/' and '\' both are valid path
separators on windows. Assuming '/' as path delimiter would cause trouble with
MacFileDirectory - but that might be obsolete anyway.
So may be the test is too strict?

Hi Christoph. First, welcome! I hope you enjoy.

It was already reported. See http://n4.nabble.com/Failing-Gofer-test-in-windows-WAS-BetaTesting-ANN-Pharo1-0-10507-rc2dev10-01-2-td1294890.html#a1294890

Thanks

Mariano