classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Going from platform to platform

Maarten Mostert

Hi,

Oké I now have this 7.9.1 image that works fine on Windows 7.

When I take it to OSX 10.6.8  (over dropbox) it blows up on opening see enclosed log.

The copy on W7 still works fine ...

??

Regards,

@+Maarten,

VW Crash.zip (31K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Going from platform to platform

Michael Lucas-Smith-2
According to your log, you have dangling C pointer instances to CairoGraphics objects that when the image starts up on OSX, attempts to delete and of course crashes. Try not to hold on to CairoGraphics objects - in particular, it looks like there is a process running that is doing cairographics calls expecting the cairo surface to still be valid.

Cheers,
Michael

On 13 March 2013 05:39, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

When I take it to OSX 10.6.8  (over dropbox) it blows up on opening see enclosed log.

??

Regards,

@+Maarten,

Reply | Threaded
|

Maarten Mostert

Thanks Michael,

When I actually closed all  windows except for the launcher and do a garbage collection and then save again my image actually worked on OSX.

Not easy to understand why things (animation loop) remain referenced when my application window is closed ?

Is this some bad practise I apply. Is Cairo actually ready to stay over from platform to platform. Will it ever be supported or is this the reason it isn't ?

To many questions maybe ?

Regards,

Maarten,

> "Michael Lucas-Smith" <[hidden email]> |

According to your log, you have dangling C pointer instances to CairoGraphics objects that when the image starts up on OSX, attempts to delete and of course crashes. Try not to hold on to CairoGraphics objects - in particular, it looks like there is a process running that is doing cairographics calls expecting the cairo surface to still be valid.
Cheers,
Michael

Hi,

??

Regards,

@+Maarten,

Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Lucas-Smith-2
What kind of animation loop is it? Perhaps you could drop in some code - I'm assuming it's not the new animation API in 7.10, so is it ExtraActivity or something different? I'm not sure why it'd be sticking around.

As for Cairo and dangling references to external objects, that'll never work properly - it wasn't so much a case of your code trying to clean up a dead reference, but in this case your code was trying to use a dead reference, which is not something that can ever work right.

This is just one of those 'gotchas' when dealing with external libraries - you can get the same if you manage to hold on to a handle from a sound library or anything for that matter. Most of our supported interfaces try hard to encapsulate handler use to avoid these sorts of issues, but it's not always possible.

Michael

On 18 March 2013 20:25, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Michael,

When I actually closed all  windows except for the launcher and do a garbage collection and then save again my image actually worked on OSX.

Not easy to understand why things (animation loop) remain referenced when my application window is closed ?

Is this some bad practise I apply. Is Cairo actually ready to stay over from platform to platform. Will it ever be supported or is this the reason it isn't ?

Regards,

Maarten,

Cheers,
Michael

Hi,

??

Regards,

@+Maarten,

Reply | Threaded
|

Maarten Mostert

Thanks for the explanations,

I am using ExtraActivity in the way Travis made the Akamura example. I enhanced it only to take account for mouse entering leaving announcement to avoid cycling when inactive.

I can obviously try to build in some cleaning when closing my application window (at least to make sure to stop extraActivity if this is the right way to go.

Honestly I am more worried about the PDF issue with Cairo, allthough I haven't worked on it for a while, building a pdf file used to consume huge amount of memories without being capable to release it after. Would be nice if this kind of behaviour is dealed with in the later VM's.

Cool that we get some official animation framework. Is that also going to be used to adress animations within skins ?

You want more details ?

Regards,

What kind of animation loop is it? Perhaps you could drop in some code - I'm assuming it's not the new animation API in 7.10, so is it ExtraActivity or something different? I'm not sure why it'd be sticking around.
As for Cairo and dangling references to external objects, that'll never work properly - it wasn't so much a case of your code trying to clean up a dead reference, but in this case your code was trying to use a dead reference, which is not something that can ever work right.
This is just one of those 'gotchas' when dealing with external libraries - you can get the same if you manage to hold on to a handle from a sound library or anything for that matter. Most of our supported interfaces try hard to encapsulate handler use to avoid these sorts of issues, but it's not always possible.
Michael

Thanks Michael,

Regards,

Maarten,

Cheers,
Michael

Hi,

??

Regards,

@+Maarten,

Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Lucas-Smith-2
Yep you've hit the nail on the head - if you start an animation you should stop it appropriately, though ExtraActivity will clean it up for you, not necessarily right away - which is what has happened in your case.

The animation API is used by skinning and some new widgets now too. We're continuing to explore its nature to make sure it does what we need it to.

I really can't speak for Cairo's PDF capabilities, I've never used Cairo for that.

Cheers,
Michael

On 20 March 2013 19:11, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the explanations,

I am using ExtraActivity in the way Travis made the Akamura example. I enhanced it only to take account for mouse entering leaving announcement to avoid cycling when inactive.

I can obviously try to build in some cleaning when closing my application window (at least to make sure to stop extraActivity if this is the right way to go.

Honestly I am more worried about the PDF issue with Cairo, allthough I haven't worked on it for a while, building a pdf file used to consume huge amount of memories without being capable to release it after. Would be nice if this kind of behaviour is dealed with in the later VM's.

Cool that we get some official animation framework. Is that also going to be used to adress animations within skins ?

You want more details ?

Regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael,

Regards,

Maarten,

Cheers,
Michael

Hi,

??

Regards,

@+Maarten,