Good Book to suggest

Kerry Chhim
I recently got interested in Squeak when I listen to the interview of
Dan Ingalls on FLOSS weekly.  So to start learn I got the book
Squeak Learn Programming with Robots.  Is this a good book to learn
basic programming with Squeak.

Kerry

Re: Good Book to suggest

David Mitchell-10
I think it is a great book to learn Squeak if you are new to programming.

If you are already a programmer and are looking to map your existing
programming skill to Squeak, I'd use Squeak by Example.

But the Robots book is a lot of fun.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Kerry Chhim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently got interested in Squeak when I listen to the interview of
> Dan Ingalls on FLOSS weekly.  So to start learn I got the book
> Squeak Learn Programming with Robots.  Is this a good book to learn
> basic programming with Squeak.
>

> Kerry

Re: Good Book to suggest

Bill Six-2
On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 22:39 -0500, David Mitchell wrote:
> I think it is a great book to learn Squeak if you are new to programming.
>
> If you are already a programmer and are looking to map your existing
> programming skill to Squeak, I'd use Squeak by Example.
>
> But the Robots book is a lot of fun.

I agree, the Robots book is pretty damn good for beginners.  It helped
me demonstrate to my girlfriend (who's a first grade teacher) what
object oriented programming is.

Other books I've enjoyed:
-Mark Guzdial's two squeak books.
-Smalltalk-80: The Language and Its Implementation  By Adele Goldberg
and David Robson

HTH,
Bill

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Kerry Chhim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I recently got interested in Squeak when I listen to the interview of
> > Dan Ingalls on FLOSS weekly.  So to start learn I got the book
> > Squeak Learn Programming with Robots.  Is this a good book to learn
> > basic programming with Squeak.
> >

> > Kerry

Re: Good Book to suggest

SergeStinckwich

Download SBE here : http://www.squeakbyexample.org/

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://blog.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Re: Good Book to suggest

David Zmick
Sorry I am responding late, but I think the robots book is great for beginers that are not very experienced with programming in any language, and, it also give a very good intoduction to the way smalltalk works!   Squeak By Example is my favorite programming book yet, it is well written, and teaches squeak very well, but I do not agree with the title.  I think it doesnt have very many extensive examples, but it does have short examples of unrelated things.  However, it does not have long examples that teach you how to make usefull things.  I am not trying to complain about it, because i loved the book, and I also think that if it had too many examples. it wouldnot teach the same way it does because people might just copy the code from the book, instead of learning how to do things themselves. :)

have fun learning

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Kerry Chhim a écrit :

I recently got interested in Squeak when I listen to the interview of
Dan Ingalls on FLOSS weekly.  So to start learn I got the book Squeak Learn Programming with Robots.  Is this a good book to learn
basic programming with Squeak.

Download SBE here : http://www.squeakbyexample.org/

--
Serge Stinckwich