Google Code Shutdown

12

Google Code Shutdown

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
In case anyone hasn't heard, Google Code will shut down entirely on January 25, 2016. I was following these Smalltalk projects there:
magritte-metamodel
moose-technology
seaside
marsonpharo
nativeboost
metacello
squeaksource3
phratch - already on GitHub per Jannik

The easiest action seems to be to export to GitHub, for which Google Code even provides a button! I just used it for one of my projects and it was pretty painless.

- Sean

Cross-posted to ESUG, pharo-dev, squeak-dev, seaside-dev, magritte, metacello
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Google Code Shutdown

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
In case anyone hasn't heard, Google Code will shut down entirely on January 25, 2016.
UPDATE: Impending Deadline: "Google Code will be turning read-only on August 25th"

Already Moved:
magritte-metamodel
phratch
seaside
metacello

Unknown:
moose-technology
marsonpharo
nativeboost
squeaksource3
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Google Code Shutdown

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Sean,

Would you like to help us move the moose-technology project?

Cheers,
Doru

On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> In case anyone hasn't heard, Google Code will shut down entirely on
> January 25, 2016.

UPDATE: Impending Deadline: "Google Code will be turning read-only on August
25th"

Already Moved:
magritte-metamodel
phratch
seaside
metacello

Unknown:
moose-technology
marsonpharo
nativeboost
squeaksource3

-----
Cheers,
Sean

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Google Code Shutdown

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tudor Girba-2 wrote
Would you like to help us move the moose-technology project?
Sure. What do you have in mind? It seems exporting to GitHub is the easiest option. There are a few limitations, but I've had good experiences...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Google Code Shutdown

abergel
Github is indeed appealing.

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Aug 2, 2015, at 10:14 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tudor Girba-2 wrote
>> Would you like to help us move the moose-technology project?
>
> Sure. What do you have in mind? It seems exporting to GitHub is the easiest
> option. There are a few limitations, but I've had good experiences...
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Google Code Shutdown

Peter Uhnak
As long as nobody on your team is using Windows, git(hub) is quite good. :)
(And if you have Windows user, then find him a therapy first, or push for libcgit :))

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 4:35 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Github is indeed appealing.

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Aug 2, 2015, at 10:14 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tudor Girba-2 wrote
>> Would you like to help us move the moose-technology project?
>
> Sure. What do you have in mind? It seems exporting to GitHub is the easiest
> option. There are a few limitations, but I've had good experiences...
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Google Code Shutdown

Blondeau Vincent

Hi,

Sorry but I am using Windows… not because I want to but because I have to... So the therapy will not work ;)

Actually, the bugtracker of Moose can be on github, but the git user experience under Windows has to be improved if we want to use efficiently the other functionalities of github (pull requests, commit, branches,…).

Cheers,

Vincent

As long as nobody on your team is using Windows, git(hub) is quite good. :)

(And if you have Windows user, then find him a therapy first, or push for libcgit :))

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 4:35 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Github is indeed appealing.

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Aug 2, 2015, at 10:14 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tudor Girba-2 wrote
>> Would you like to help us move the moose-technology project?
>
> Sure. What do you have in mind? It seems exporting to GitHub is the easiest
> option. There are a few limitations, but I've had good experiences...
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Re: Google Code Shutdown

Peter Uhnak

but the git user experience under Windows has to be improved if we want to use efficiently the other functionalities of github (pull requests, commit, branches,…).

Well some of the experience can be mitigated with tools like GitHub for Windows, but the main problem is that git with Pharo is incredibly unstable on Windows and crashes constantly. That's our experience with it so my colleague had to switch to pure filetree out of frustration.
This however is NOT problem of git, it's problem of OSProcess. But it does render it almost unusable for now. (At least for us.)

Peter

Re: Google Code Shutdown

SergeStinckwich
Yes but at the moment only the bug tracker will be used I guess. Maybe someone can create a MOOSE org ?

Sent from my iPhone

On 3 août 2015, at 11:56, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

As long as nobody on your team is using Windows, git(hub) is quite good. :)
(And if you have Windows user, then find him a therapy first, or push for libcgit :))

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 4:35 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Github is indeed appealing.

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Aug 2, 2015, at 10:14 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tudor Girba-2 wrote
>> Would you like to help us move the moose-technology project?
>
> Sure. What do you have in mind? It seems exporting to GitHub is the easiest
> option. There are a few limitations, but I've had good experiences...
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Google Code Shutdown

Tudor Girba-2
I just created this organization:

What should I do next?

Cheers,
Doru

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 12:55 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes but at the moment only the bug tracker will be used I guess. Maybe someone can create a MOOSE org ?

Sent from my iPhone

On 3 août 2015, at 11:56, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

As long as nobody on your team is using Windows, git(hub) is quite good. :)
(And if you have Windows user, then find him a therapy first, or push for libcgit :))

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 4:35 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Github is indeed appealing.

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Aug 2, 2015, at 10:14 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tudor Girba-2 wrote
>> Would you like to help us move the moose-technology project?
>
> Sure. What do you have in mind? It seems exporting to GitHub is the easiest
> option. There are a few limitations, but I've had good experiences...
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Google Code Shutdown

SergeStinckwich
Create a repo for moose in order to have a bug tracker, move issues from Google code to this repo :-)
Sorry I'm on my phone, I can't help now ;-)

Sent from my iPhone

On 3 août 2015, at 13:00, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just created this organization:

What should I do next?

Cheers,
Doru

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 12:55 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes but at the moment only the bug tracker will be used I guess. Maybe someone can create a MOOSE org ?

Sent from my iPhone

On 3 août 2015, at 11:56, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

As long as nobody on your team is using Windows, git(hub) is quite good. :)
(And if you have Windows user, then find him a therapy first, or push for libcgit :))

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 4:35 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Github is indeed appealing.

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Aug 2, 2015, at 10:14 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tudor Girba-2 wrote
>> Would you like to help us move the moose-technology project?
>
> Sure. What do you have in mind? It seems exporting to GitHub is the easiest
> option. There are a few limitations, but I've had good experiences...
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Google Code Shutdown

kilon.alios
A workaround if you absolutely want to use gitfiletree is to install linux using a VM like virtual box , Ubuntu for example works very well with pharo

https://www.virtualbox.org/

This way you avoid booting to another OS , you can also share your git folder to both windows and linux vm. This way you can use gitfiletree without ditching windows. Of course dual boot can work too if you dont need to use Pharo with windoom.

VM option works also if you want to install MacOS on your windows pc.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 1:13 PM Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Sorry but I am using Windows… not because I want to but because I have to... So the therapy will not work ;)

Actually, the bugtracker of Moose can be on github, but the git user experience under Windows has to be improved if we want to use efficiently the other functionalities of github (pull requests, commit, branches,…).

Cheers,

Vincent

As long as nobody on your team is using Windows, git(hub) is quite good. :)

(And if you have Windows user, then find him a therapy first, or push for libcgit :))

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 4:35 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Github is indeed appealing.

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Aug 2, 2015, at 10:14 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tudor Girba-2 wrote
>> Would you like to help us move the moose-technology project?
>
> Sure. What do you have in mind? It seems exporting to GitHub is the easiest
> option. There are a few limitations, but I've had good experiences...
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Re: Google Code Shutdown

Blondeau Vincent

That is a solution but not for long term. I don’t want to install linux to use pharo..

For now the solution is to use git as standalone app and filetree to export the code.

I use it and it works well while you don’t have to long paths.

Vincent

> [...]

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Import in progress: Started thread on Moose list: http://forum.world.st/Moving-Issues-to-GitHub-tt4840767.html
Cheers,
Sean

OSProcess on windows (was: Re: Google Code Shutdown)

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, Peter Uhnák wrote:

>       but the git user experience under Windows has to be improved if we want to use efficiently the other functionalities of github (pull requests, commit, branches,…).
>

> Well some of the experience can be mitigated with tools like GitHub for Windows, but the main problem is that git with Pharo is incredibly unstable on Windows and crashes constantly. That's our experience
> with it so my colleague had to switch to pure filetree out of frustration.
> This however is NOT problem of git, it's problem of OSProcess. But it does render it almost unusable for now. (At least for us.)

What's the problem with OSProcess on windows?

Levente

> Peter

What's the problem with OSProcess on windows?

Re: OSProcess on windows (was: Re: Google Code Shutdown)

Levente Uzonyi-2
Thanks for the links. Unfortunately none of these really explain what the
problem with OSProcess is. I see there were attempts to try using
ProcessWrapper instead of OSProcess on windows, but there's no feedback
on that thread, so there may be a solution out there, but no one is using
it.

Levente

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, Peter Uhnák wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, Peter Uhnák wrote:
>

>                   but the git user experience under Windows has to be improved if we want to use efficiently the other functionalities of github (pull requests, commit, branches,…).
>

>             Well some of the experience can be mitigated with tools like GitHub for Windows, but the main problem is that git with Pharo is incredibly unstable on Windows and crashes constantly.
>             That's our experience
>             with it so my colleague had to switch to pure filetree out of frustration.
>             This however is NOT problem of git, it's problem of OSProcess. But it does render it almost unusable for now. (At least for us.)
>

>       What's the problem with OSProcess on windows?
>

> http://forum.world.st/Gitfiletree-unstable-on-Windows-td4816354.html
> http://forum.world.st/gitfiletree-metadata-td4838970.html
> http://forum.world.st/Git-gitfiletree-on-Pharo-vs-Windows-td4806791.html

Re: OSProcess on windows (was: Re: Google Code Shutdown)

David T. Lewis
The OSProcess implementation for Windows is incomplete. I recommend
Levente's ProcessWrapper (http://www.squeaksource.com/ProcessWrapper/) as
an alternative for Windows.

Dave

> Thanks for the links. Unfortunately none of these really explain what the
> problem with OSProcess is. I see there were attempts to try using
> ProcessWrapper instead of OSProcess on windows, but there's no feedback
> on that thread, so there may be a solution out there, but no one is using
> it.
>
> Levente
>
> On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, Peter Uhnák wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>       On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, Peter Uhnák wrote:
>>

>>                   but the git user experience under Windows has to be
>> improved if we want to use efficiently the other
>> functionalities of github (pull requests, commit,
>> branches,…).
>>

>>             Well some of the experience can be mitigated with tools like
>> GitHub for Windows, but the main problem is that git with
>> Pharo is incredibly unstable on Windows and crashes
>> constantly.
>>             That's our experience
>>             with it so my colleague had to switch to pure filetree out
>> of frustration.
>>             This however is NOT problem of git, it's problem of
>> OSProcess. But it does render it almost unusable for now.
>> (At least for us.)
>>

>>       What's the problem with OSProcess on windows?
>>

>> http://forum.world.st/Gitfiletree-unstable-on-Windows-td4816354.html
>> http://forum.world.st/gitfiletree-metadata-td4838970.html
>> http://forum.world.st/Git-gitfiletree-on-Pharo-vs-Windows-td4806791.html

Re: OSProcess on windows

Thierry Goubier
Le 03/08/2015 21:56, David T. Lewis a écrit :
> The OSProcess implementation for Windows is incomplete. I recommend
> Levente's ProcessWrapper (http://www.squeaksource.com/ProcessWrapper/) as
> an alternative for Windows.

And GitFileTree (the main reason for trying to crash the external
process support on Pharo :) ) uses ProcessWrapper on Windows and
OSProcess elsewhere. All the reports about the unstability of
GitFileTree on Windows relate to the combination GitFileTree +
ProcessWrapper.

Now, if someone knowledgeable with ProcessWrapper wants to check the
code calling it, I'm all for it :)

Thierry