Google Code labels/templates

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Someone had suggested to remove the "Pharo 1.4 Enhancement" template, since we're not accepting any. That makes sense.

Also, the Nautilus template labels the issue "Nautilus", but the label in the list is "Type-Nautilus". Which brings me to my next question...

The other Types are Bug, Enhancement, Cleanup, Feature [1]. Nautilus and Jenkins [2] really don't fit into this framework. Maybe because there will be many fewer issues, we don't need the level of granularity of [1] for [2]. But when we get close to a release, it'd be nice to know that there is 1 Nautilus bug and 10 Enhancements pending (i.e. probably only one critical thing) vs. 11 Type-Nautilus.

So, now that I said all that, it seems the most powerful/flexible approach would be to leave the "nautilus" tag, remove the leading "Type-" from "Type-[Jenkins|Spec|Seed]", and then to make templates for Jenkins/Spec/Seed like the one for Nautilus.

What do you think?

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Google Code labels/templates

Marcus Denker-4

On Jun 26, 2012, at 8:49 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Someone had suggested to remove the "Pharo 1.4 Enhancement" template, since
> we're not accepting any. That makes sense.
>
> Also, the Nautilus template labels the issue "Nautilus", but the label in
> the list is "Type-Nautilus". Which brings me to my next question...
>
> The other Types are Bug, Enhancement, Cleanup, Feature [1]. Nautilus and
> Jenkins [2] really don't fit into this framework. Maybe because there will
> be many fewer issues, we don't need the level of granularity of [1] for [2].
> But when we get close to a release, it'd be nice to know that there is 1
> Nautilus bug and 10 Enhancements pending (i.e. probably only one critical
> thing) vs. 11 Type-Nautilus.
>
> So, now that I said all that, it seems the most powerful/flexible approach
> would be to leave the "nautilus" tag, remove the leading "Type-" from
> "Type-[Jenkins|Spec|Seed]", and then to make templates for Jenkins/Spec/Seed
> like the one for Nautilus.
>
> What do you think?

honestly I don't care... there is so much to do that I can't even think about details like
this.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Google Code labels/templates

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Marcus Denker-4 wrote
> So, now that I said all that, it seems the most powerful/flexible approach
> would be to leave the "nautilus" tag, remove the leading "Type-" from
> "Type-[Jenkins|Spec|Seed]", and then to make templates for Jenkins/Spec/Seed
> like the one for Nautilus.
>
> What do you think?

honestly I don't care... there is so much to do that I can't even think about details like
this.
If you give me access, I will take care of it. These clarifications will avoid more, possibly invalid, issues from cluttering up our minds.
Cheers,
Sean

On Jul 6, 2012, at 7:35 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Marcus Denker-4 wrote
>>
>>> So, now that I said all that, it seems the most powerful/flexible
>>> approach
>>> would be to leave the "nautilus" tag, remove the leading "Type-" from
>>> "Type-[Jenkins|Spec|Seed]", and then to make templates for
>>> Jenkins/Spec/Seed
>>> like the one for Nautilus.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> honestly I don't care... there is so much to do that I can't even think
>> about details like
>> this.
>>

> If you give me access, I will take care of it. These clarifications will
> avoid more, possibly invalid, issues from cluttering up our minds.

That is a great idea! I will add you as and admin.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Google Code labels/templates

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
The... Types are Bug, Enhancement, Cleanup, Feature [1]. Nautilus and Jenkins [2] really don't fit into this framework. Maybe because there will be many fewer issues, we don't need the level of granularity of [1] for [2]. But when we get close to a release, it'd be nice to know that there is 1 Nautilus bug and 10 Enhancements pending (i.e. probably only one critical thing) vs. 11 Type-Nautilus.

So, now that I said all that, it seems the most powerful/flexible approach would be to leave the "nautilus" tag, remove the leading "Type-" from "Type-[Jenkins|Spec|Seed]", and then to make templates for Jenkins/Spec/Seed like the one for Nautilus.
I moved Types that are really sub-tools/topics to Targets (you can pick one Target per issue):
Target-Seed          = Bootstrap oriented
Target-Filesystem
Target-Spec
Target-Jenkins       = CI related stuff
Target-Nautilus

We now have the following types (you can pick one Type per issue):
Type-Bug             = Report/fix of a software defect
Type-Cleanup         = Change that does not functionally modify existing
Type-Feature         = New Feature
Type-HighLevelTask   = Work item that doesn't change the code or docs
Type-Enh             = Little Enhancement
Type-FailingTest     = There is a test for this bug that fails

I updated all existing issues/templates that seemed relevant to use the new labels.

Cheers,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean