Google Soc proposal: Squeak code on the Web

Google Soc proposal: Squeak code on the Web

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

I just proposed one Aida based project for Google Summer of Code:

    Squeak code on the Web
    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6032

The goal is to build a web portal of all Squeak code ever written. Code
should be accessible to search engines like Google Code Search and each
package/class/method should have nice bookmarkable Url. This is
important (besides others) for better visibility and promotion of
Smalltalk among other languages, which have all code accessible on the
web. Portal is supposed to be written using Aida/Web framework to
leverage its strong Url support.

This is a proposal and we can still change/add/delete/whatever. Has
anyone maybe some other proposal too?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Google Soc proposal: Squeak code on the Web

Rob Rothwell
I really like the idea because I have long lamented the fact that it is so easy to find a code example for something like .NET or VB, but you actually have to ask someone to point you in the right direction in Sqeak/Smalltalk.

Imagine the power of Google helping you find an example that already exists in your own image!  I think this would be very helpful for newcomers (like myself!), but I have no idea what type of work it would entail.

Much later down the road the ability to execute small examples in a browser would be fun since the portal would be written in AIDA...

I think I am not skilled enough to be much help with the coding, but could probably assist with some of the "brute force and ignorance tasks" that are likely to exist.

Rob Rothwell

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The foolish reject what they see, not what they think; the wise reject what they think, not what they see.  -- Huang Po

Re: Google Soc proposal: Squeak code on the Web

Michael Rueger-6
Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I just proposed one Aida based project for Google Summer of Code:
>
>     Squeak code on the Web
>     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6032
>
> The goal is to build a web portal of all Squeak code ever written. Code

A very powerful application of this server would be to allow to browse
version histories of methods even when those versions are not in the
image change log.
One of the huge problems with working with clean build images (e.g.
nightly builds) and monticello.

Michael

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> I really like the idea because I have long lamented the fact that it is
> so easy to find a code example for something like .NET or VB, but you
> actually have to ask someone to point you in the right direction in
> Sqeak/Smalltalk.

Exactly! I just yesterday tried to find some Smalltalk code with Google
Code Search and found next to nothing. Very bad.

> Imagine the power of Google helping you find an example that already
> exists in your own image!  I think this would be very helpful for
> newcomers (like myself!), but I have no idea what type of work it would
> entail.

Imagine also, that every Smalltalk piece of code down to each method has
  its own Url and that you can connect Smalltalk code in interesting
ways...

> Much later down the road the ability to execute small examples in a
> browser would be fun since the portal would be written in AIDA...

Yes, such tool will surelly open endless oportunities for such
enhancements, not to mention at least to encourage easier writting of
documentation for start.

> I think I am not skilled enough to be much help with the coding, but
> could probably assist with some of the "brute force and ignorance tasks"
> that are likely to exist.

Very valuable help! Let we build something really useful!

Janko

Michael Rueger wrote:

>> I just proposed one Aida based project for Google Summer of Code:
>>
>>     Squeak code on the Web
>>     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6032
>>
>> The goal is to build a web portal of all Squeak code ever written. Code

> A very powerful application of this server would be to allow to browse
> version histories of methods even when those versions are not in the
> image change log.
> One of the huge problems with working with clean build images (e.g.
> nightly builds) and monticello.

I actually already thought about adding version info to package Urls,
and that can be quite simply extended to methods too. Idea of course is
to have all versions of the code browsable, with latest/current version
with unique Url while older versions with url like
myMethod.st?version=2.5. So adding another "dimension" for navigation
the code through versions seems doable.

Also, it seems (at least for me) that making web apps is simpler that
GUI ones, so we can help a lot with producing such "off-the-image" web
tools.

Janko

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

Very valuable help! Let we build something really useful!

Janko

I really would like to help in even some small way...so many people (including yourself!) have helped me try to learn many things about Smalltalk,
which is far different from my experiences with other languages because you CAN find examples.

Anyway, the helpful community is a tribute to the language somehow, but I always feel like a "freeloader" because I have nothing to offer back [yet!]...

Rob

Re: Google Soc proposal: Squeak code on the Web

fstephany
Hi all,

> The goal is to build a web portal of all Squeak code ever written.
I don't really understand what do you mean by that. Is it the whole
image? Or anyone can add some code to it?

Regards,

François

Francois Stephany wrote:

>> The goal is to build a web portal of all Squeak code ever written.

> I don't really understand what do you mean by that. Is it the whole
> image? Or anyone can add some code to it?

Not the image, the whole Squeak code ever written. That means everything
you find on SqueakMAp, on SqueakSource, on Universes and elsewhere. This
is a grand goal.

What I started already (AIDABrowser on http://squeak.aidaweb.si:8000/)
is a proof of concept to provide a web access of a code in your image
only. Proof of a concept about how to make Smalltalk code accessible and
searchable on the web

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Google Soc proposal: Squeak code on the Web

fstephany

> Not the image, the whole Squeak code ever written. That means everything
> you find on SqueakMAp, on SqueakSource, on Universes and elsewhere. This
> is a grand goal.

Woaw thats ambitious, but why not!
You're right that could be a great resources for newcomers and curious
people (as all the smalltalkers i guess).

I'm quite interested in the project and surely follow whats going on for
the next days...