Google Summer of Code is here, your ideas please!

Google Summer of Code is here, your ideas please!

Janko Mivšek
Dear Smalltalkers,

Tenth GSoC is here and application deadline is earlier this year,
already next Friday!

Time therefore for your cool project ideas on this year Smalltalk GSoC
Hurry up!

For now just express any idea you have here on the mailing list. Later
we will together develop it to be in complete format together with two
mentors needed. To see how fully developed ideas look like please look
at 2012 ones at:http://gsoc2013.esug.org/ideas.

Ideally (but not necessary right now) you should prepare an idea
following this template:

Title:

Level: (beginner, intermediate, advanced)

Possible mentor: (can be assigned later)

Possible second mentor: (can be assigned later)

Description

Technical Details

Benefits to the Student

Benefits to the Community

Note also that students yourselves can propose a GSoC project. So if you
like to be a student on this year GSoC and have a nice idea, don't be
shy and propose it here! The community will listen you and guide to the
really nicely proposed project.

For the community, start looking around for students. Think about how to
approach the universities near by you, do you know who to contact
there, etc.

Our special website is in preparation and will be online in few days.
Official Google GSoC site is here:

   http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014.

Specially read carefully the FAQ:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2014/help_page

Mentors of all past GSoCs please rejoin the mentors mailing list, where
we discuss all details about this year GSoC:

   http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors

While students interested on GSoC please join a special Smalltalk GSoC
mailing list for you:

   http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-students

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team

Re: Google Summer of Code is here, your ideas please!

Holger Freyther
On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 11:48:21AM +0100, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Dear Smalltalkers,

Hi,

> Title:

Port packages from Pharo to GST and improve tooling.
Mentor: me
Many Smalltalk packages are built for the Pharo platform.
The sourcecode is managed using the Monticello system. GNU
Smalltalk offers a gst-convert utility to modify code from
one dialect to another. The goal is to port existing packages
from Pharo and improve the tooling. This could include porting
of Monticello, Filetree and or other packages. The goal should
be to automatically track and convert a package that has been
ported once.

Multi-threaded GST VM
Mentor: me
GNU Smalltalk is a simple but heavily optimized Virtual Machine.
Smalltalk supports Processes but they are executed in a single
OS process. We would like to move global variables into a struct
and start using thread local storage. In the first step it should
be possible to execute bytecode in parallel on two different OS
processes. This should improve the locking/atomic operation in
Smalltalk.

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 02:29:51PM +0100, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> Multi-threaded GST VM
> Mentor: me
> GNU Smalltalk is a simple but heavily optimized Virtual Machine.
> Smalltalk supports Processes but they are executed in a single
> OS process. We would like to move global variables into a struct
> and start using thread local storage. In the first step it should
> be possible to execute bytecode in parallel on two different OS
> processes. This should improve the locking/atomic operation in
> Smalltalk.

Another VM topic I would like to mentor is:

JIT/Interpreter improvements
Mentor: me
GNU Smalltalk has an interpreter and a simple Just-In-Time Compiler.
The JIT Compiler is using the GNU Lightning macro assembler. At the
compile time of GNU Smalltalk one needs to decide if one wants to use
the JIT or the Interpreter.

In the first step a newer GNU Lightning should be supported and the
testcases should be made to work on x86, AMD64 and ARMv5te instruction
set architectures. In the second step it should be attempted to build
a single GNU Smalltalk binary that can use the interpreter or the JIT
at the same time and a simple heuristic to decide when to JIT and when
to interpret.