Google Summer of Code is here, your ideas please!

Google Summer of Code is here, your ideas please!

Janko Mivšek
Dear Smalltalkers,

Tenth GSoC is here and application deadline is earlier this year,
already next Friday!

Time therefore for your cool project ideas on this year Smalltalk GSoC
Hurry up!

For now just express any idea you have here on the mailing list. Later
we will together develop it to be in complete format together with two
mentors needed. To see how fully developed ideas look like please look
at 2012 ones at:http://gsoc2013.esug.org/ideas.

Ideally (but not necessary right now) you should prepare an idea
following this template:

Title:

Level: (beginner, intermediate, advanced)

Possible mentor: (can be assigned later)

Possible second mentor: (can be assigned later)

Description

Technical Details

Benefits to the Student

Benefits to the Community

Note also that students yourselves can propose a GSoC project. So if you
like to be a student on this year GSoC and have a nice idea, don't be
shy and propose it here! The community will listen you and guide to the
really nicely proposed project.

For the community, start looking around for students. Think about how to
approach the universities near by you, do you know who to contact
there, etc.

Our special website is in preparation and will be online in few days.
Official Google GSoC site is here:

   http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014.

Specially read carefully the FAQ:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2014/help_page

Mentors of all past GSoCs please rejoin the mentors mailing list, where
we discuss all details about this year GSoC:

   http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors

While students interested on GSoC please join a special Smalltalk GSoC
mailing list for you:

   http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-students

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team

Re: [Pharo-users] Google Summer of Code is here, your ideas please!

Dennis Schetinin
Zdravo Janko!

- Amber – Pharo interaction via WebSocket. Specifically, Pharo as IDE for Amber — as continuation of http://gsoc2013.esug.org/projects/amber-tools and http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects/mmi-amber

- Boundless and zoomable interfaces with Pharo. Continuation of http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects/esse using Athens. Perhaps creating some development tools.

- Implementation of "Object Semantic Networks" as a new knowledge-representation engine to be used inside Pharo (for various purposes).

--

Best regards,

Dennis Schetinin

Re: [Pharo-users] Google Summer of Code is here, your ideas please!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Dennis Schetinin wrote
- Boundless and zoomable interfaces with Pharo. Continuation of
http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects/esse using Athens. Perhaps creating some
development tools.
Yes, please! I saw that Juan may be releasing Morphic 3 soon… wonder if that helps...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Google Summer of Code is here, your ideas please!

EstebanLM
Hi Janko,
here my proposal for this year (just one :P)

Title:
Quartz backend for Athens framework

Level: (beginner, intermediate, advanced)
Intermediate

Possible mentor: (can be assigned later)
Esteban Lorenzano

Possible second mentor: (can be assigned later)

Description
Athens is a vectorial graphics library that supports different backends but now is restrained to Cairo. Also, current implementation uses NativeBoost, who at the time generates and executes dynamic code. This combination mades impossible to use the framework for iPad/iPhone applications and we have need to support them.
The project then is to create a new backend for the Athens library that can be used both in macs and ipad/iphone platforms.

Technical Details
The student need to study the current Athens-Balloon and  Athens-Cairoo implementation, and the Ballon plugin, to produce a Quartz plugin and to create the Athens extension to use it.

Benefits to the Student
The student will understand the plugin architecture and how it interacts with the environment, also he will have internals on native boost and vectorial libraries.

Benefits to the Community
The community will gain the ability of develop better applications for ipad/iphone mobile platforms.

thanks,
Esteban

Re: Google Summer of Code is here, your ideas please!

Hi jano

do you need help to create a web page for 2014 because I do not see it.
Should we use the 2013 for checking proposed topics?
Since the deadline is quite soon how can we help?
Stef