Google indexing and bookmarks on Seaside sites

Google indexing and bookmarks on Seaside sites

davidbuck
I'm developing a Seaside application for the Internet Ray Tracing
Competition web site.  By the nature of the site, the results of
previous rounds of the IRTC are effectively static while a few pages
change periodically as contests start and end.  Ideally, we would like
all of the site to be google-indexable and bookmarkable unless you are
logged in with a userid.

Now, I know how to make bookmarkable pages in Seaside using
initialRequest:. This technique, however, requires me to replace all
callback: calls with url: calls, generate appropriate URL's that can
recover their place, and add handling code in the initialRequest: method
for tons of different pages.  I fear that this technique will become
unmaintainable.  I also fear that we will lose some Seaside capability
by never creating a session and losing sessions if you navigate to a
bookmarkable page.

Does anyone have advice on how to do this?

BTW, you can preview the site at:
    http://newtest.irtc.org:7777/irtc  (this address will disappear in a
few weeks)

The original IRTC site is at:
    http://www.irtc.org  (in a few weeks, the new site will live here)

Thanks
David Buck

RE: Google indexing and bookmarks on Seaside sites

Ramon Leon-5

> Now, I know how to make bookmarkable pages in Seaside using
> initialRequest:. This technique, however, requires me to replace all
> callback: calls with url: calls, generate appropriate URL's that can
> recover their place, and add handling code in the
> initialRequest: method
> for tons of different pages.  I fear that this technique will become
> unmaintainable.  I also fear that we will lose some Seaside
> capability
> by never creating a session and losing sessions if you navigate to a
> bookmarkable page.
>
> Does anyone have advice on how to do this?
>
> BTW, you can preview the site at:
>     http://newtest.irtc.org:7777/irtc  (this address will
> disappear in a
> few weeks)
>
> The original IRTC site is at:
>     http://www.irtc.org  (in a few weeks, the new site will live here)
>
> Thanks
> David Buck

See the recent thread Re: Making '_k' and '_s' optional: A Seaside Heresy?
In the Seaside dev list, specifically Adrian Lienhard's reply about how
cmsbox handles this to get completely clean urls.  The approach works very
well.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Google indexing and bookmarks on Seaside sites

Sophie424
"Ramon Leon" <[hidden email]> wrote in message

> See the recent thread Re: Making '_k' and '_s' optional: A Seaside Heresy?
> In the Seaside dev list,

I could not find this on nabble or on Dale's blog, do you have the link
handy?

Thanks - Sophie

Re: Re: Google indexing and bookmarks on Seaside sites

Sebastian Piu
Hi,
here is the link that Ramon referenced;
http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/making-_k-and-_s-optional-a-seaside-heresy/

Regards,
Sebastian

"Sebastian Piu" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> Hi,
> here is the link that Ramon referenced;
> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/making-_k-and-_s-optional-a-seaside-heresy/

Yes, but I did not see cmsbox or Adrian Lienhard in the comments, which
Ramon seemed to be particularly pointing out.

Sophie

Re: Re: Re: Google indexing and bookmarks on Seaside sites

Adrian Lienhard
Ramon was referring to the discussion on the Seaside-dev mailing list:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside-dev/2008-August/001012.html

Cheers,
Adrian

On Aug 30, 2008, at 20:24 , itsme213 wrote:

> "Sebastian Piu" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> here is the link that Ramon referenced;
>> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/making-_k-and-_s-optional-a-seaside-heresy/
>
> Yes, but I did not see cmsbox or Adrian Lienhard in the comments,
> which
> Ramon seemed to be particularly pointing out.
>
> Sophie

Re: Re: Re: Google indexing and bookmarks on Seaside sites

Sophie424
"Adrian Lienhard" <[hidden email]> wrote

>>> here is the link that Ramon referenced;
>>> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/making-_k-and-_s-optional-a-seaside-heresy/

Got it, thanks. I did not even know that a separate 'dev' list existed,
should have read Ramon's post more carefully :-(

I have to say I think that whole optional _s _k direction is really
exciting, even more so if it can be done largely transparent to the seaside
app-developer!

- Sophie