Google opponent

Peter Osburg-2
Hey list,

I am currently attending the Google I/O. And as soon as I see presentations about the Google App Engine und the GWT, I wonder if Seaside does provide all those functionalities since quite a lot of time?

Looking at the App Engine: compare that with seasidehosting.st
What are you doing? You write your code, save your image and upload it to seasidehosting.st ... and voila, there is your webapplication online.

What does the App Engine provide:
Write you code in Python (boooh), upload it to the google cloud and there you go as well! Sure, there is a slight difference, because Google currently provides more then seasidehosting does, but in general there seem to be quite the same idea.

So let's switch to the Google Web Toolkit. What does it do?
It provides the functionality to write your code in Java, you use GWT and it gets fransformed into a cross-browser-platform supported code.
So we do write our code in Smalltalk, use Seaside capabilities and as well have our AJAX / HTML / JavaScript code available without ever touching it.

Seriously, think about it. If we could do some more promotion for Seaside, and investigate a little more time on a cool portal (like seasidehosting) we could definitely raise to an opponent of Google. I know, this sounds visionary, but it is reachable...

By the way I try to tell everyone I talk to about the powerful Webframework Seaside and it's implementation in Smalltalk!

Cheers,
Peter

--
Peter Osburg
www.peter-osburg.de

Re: Google opponent

Philippe Marschall
2008/5/28, Peter Osburg <[hidden email]>:

> Hey list,
>
> I am currently attending the Google I/O. And as soon as I see presentations
> about the Google App Engine und the GWT, I wonder if Seaside does provide
> all those functionalities since quite a lot of time?
>
> Looking at the App Engine: compare that with seasidehosting.st
> What are you doing? You write your code, save your image and upload it to
> seasidehosting.st ... and voila, there is your webapplication online.
>
> What does the App Engine provide:
> Write you code in Python (boooh), upload it to the google cloud and there
> you go as well! Sure, there is a slight difference, because Google currently
> provides more then seasidehosting does, but in general there seem to be
> quite the same idea.

With the small difference that App Engine "automatically" scales your
application. If your loads grows beyond one image on SeasideHosting,
you're at a dead end.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Google opponent

Peter Osburg-2
Well, this is just an answer regarding the current state, right?

I am mean, it still is not an opponent, there is some work needed. Sure there has to be some work done regarding load balancing, but is not impossible, or am i wrong with that?

2008/5/29 Peter Osburg <[hidden email]>:
> Well, this is just an answer regarding the current state, right?

Yes, the same way the current height of the Matterhorn is 4478 meters.

> I am mean, it still is not an opponent, there is some work needed. Sure
> there has to be some work done regarding load balancing, but is not
> impossible, or am i wrong with that?

Yes you are. Seaside hosting compares better to Amazon S3 but you are
limited to one virtual machine and can not add stuff yourself (like a
database). Google App Engine intentionally restricts itself to a very
small subset which they can scale.

SeasideHosting is just _ONE_ machine. It is intended to be free. It is
not intended for productive applications.

Cheers
Philippe