Google summer of code

abergel
Hi everyone-

Google Summer of Code 2017 has officially begun! Organization applications open today, Thursday January 19 and are open through Thursday, February 9th. Please see our program site, official timeline and FAQ for more details.

What makes a good organization application? Take a look at our manuals for tips and best practices.

We look forward to seeing each of your applications and kicking off another great year of GSoC. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to [hidden email]. We’re here to help!

Google Open Source Programs Office
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Google summer of code

SergeStinckwich

Envoyé de mon iPhone
Le 20 janv. 2017 à 22:21, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> a écrit :

What do we do?

We have to apply ! ;-)

We talk with Jigyasa Grover who is doing an internship in my lab at the moment and she is willing to help. Jigyasa was a student in a former Google Summer of code and is involved in several open-source initiative like Women who Code and FOSSASIA. She is a mentor of GoogleCodeIn.

You can find a small presentation during last FOSSASIA : "

My journey in FOSS with Pharo & FOSSASIA by Jigyasa Grover - FOSSASIA 2016"

She has done a streaming video this morning also: http://goo.gl/UyclKP

Anyone to help her setup a small team for Pharo proposal to Google Summer of Code this year ?

On 20 Jan 2017, at 20:38, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone-

Google Summer of Code 2017 has officially begun! Organization applications open today, Thursday January 19 and are open through Thursday, February 9th. Please see our program site, official timeline and FAQ for more details.

What makes a good organization application? Take a look at our manuals for tips and best practices.

We look forward to seeing each of your applications and kicking off another great year of GSoC. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to [hidden email]. We’re here to help!

Google Open Source Programs Office
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Google summer of code

Jigyasa Grover
Dear Prof Serge

Thanks for the introduction.

Dear Alexandre
I have been a past Google Summer of Code student and also mentor budding developers in Google Code-In.
This time, I was hoping to plug-in the loopholes which might have been present in last year's organisation application.
Kindly let me know how can we collaborate further on this.
Looking forward to your response.
Thanks and Regards
Jigyasa

[...]

stepharong
We should apply.
I have a new list of topics.
Now we should not have topics with clearly identified mentors.

Stef

[...]

The list of previous projects is here:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-project-proposals

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Google summer of code

Jigyasa Grover
Also, a good application is equally important as the list of clearly defined projects.

- J

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Google summer of code

Uko2
I can also update my projects and help with the application if needed (I was a part of the application team for the last two years I think)

Uko

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Google summer of code

SergeStinckwich
Thank you Uko to join the team :-)

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can also update my projects and help with the application if needed (I was
> a part of the application team for the last two years I think)
>
> Uko
>
> On 22 Jan 2017, at 16:33, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Also, a good application is equally important as the list of clearly defined
> projects.
>
> - J
>
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The list of previous projects is here:
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-project-proposals
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Jigyasa Grover
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Dear Prof Serge
>> >
>> > Thanks for the introduction.
>> >
>> > Dear Alexandre
>> > I have been a past Google Summer of Code student and also mentor budding
>> > developers in Google Code-In.
>> > This time, I was hoping to plug-in the loopholes which might have been
>> > present in last year's organisation application.
>> > Kindly let me know how can we collaborate further on this.
>> > Looking forward to your response.
>> > Thanks and Regards
>> > Jigyasa

>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Google summer of code

Guillermo Polito
Hi,

I would like to help in cleaning, composing and enhancing the ideas page. I already see some old projects whose mentors either left the community or may not be 100% available for mentoring (like Camille Teruel).
We should clean that page.

Besides, I'm interested in knowing the official reasons for why we were rejected last years :P.

Guille

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Uko to join the team :-)

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can also update my projects and help with the application if needed (I was
> a part of the application team for the last two years I think)
>
> Uko
>
> On 22 Jan 2017, at 16:33, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Also, a good application is equally important as the list of clearly defined
> projects.
>
> - J
>
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The list of previous projects is here:
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-project-proposals
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Jigyasa Grover
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Dear Prof Serge
>> >
>> > Thanks for the introduction.
>> >
>> > Dear Alexandre
>> > I have been a past Google Summer of Code student and also mentor budding
>> > developers in Google Code-In.
>> > This time, I was hoping to plug-in the loopholes which might have been
>> > present in last year's organisation application.
>> > Kindly let me know how can we collaborate further on this.
>> > Looking forward to your response.
>> > Thanks and Regards
>> > Jigyasa

>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Google summer of code

Jigyasa Grover
Hi Guillermo

Scrubbing the ideas page is an important task this time.
It shall be great to have your help.

Thanks !

- J

Re: Google summer of code

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 24/01/17 10:11, Guillermo Polito wrote:
> Besides, I'm interested in knowing the official reasons for why we were
> rejected last years :P.

That's the always the same: we get many more applications than we can
sponsor, and we have to make a choice.

Stephan

Re: Google summer of code

Stephane Ducasse-3
Yes please.
I can do a pass also.
I started on some private projects.
I would like to propose to build a make based on a graph library. they have a nice lib in Python and this way we would avoid to rely on make for pillar and others

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I would like to help in cleaning, composing and enhancing the ideas page. I already see some old projects whose mentors either left the community or may not be 100% available for mentoring (like Camille Teruel).
We should clean that page.

Besides, I'm interested in knowing the official reasons for why we were rejected last years :P.

Guille

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Uko to join the team :-)

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can also update my projects and help with the application if needed (I was
> a part of the application team for the last two years I think)
>
> Uko
>
> On 22 Jan 2017, at 16:33, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Also, a good application is equally important as the list of clearly defined
> projects.
>
> - J
>
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The list of previous projects is here:
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-project-proposals
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Jigyasa Grover
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Dear Prof Serge
>> >
>> > Thanks for the introduction.
>> >
>> > Dear Alexandre
>> > I have been a past Google Summer of Code student and also mentor budding
>> > developers in Google Code-In.
>> > This time, I was hoping to plug-in the loopholes which might have been
>> > present in last year's organisation application.
>> > Kindly let me know how can we collaborate further on this.
>> > Looking forward to your response.
>> > Thanks and Regards
>> > Jigyasa

>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Google summer of code

Stephane Ducasse-3
Yuriy I cleaned many of the proposal
could you do a pass on yours and keep max 4-5 of them?

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Google summer of code

Thierry Goubier
Hi guys,

what I noted from the last attempts is that the Pharo proposal goes like that:

- here is a nice list of project ideas

- newcomers just have to use our current set of tools for interacting and producing code (that is
 slack / mailing list / smalltalkhub / github / fogbugz / medium / etc...)

Maybe preparing something (or planning to) a bit centralized and dedicated to GSoC for the last point could be nice, just to explain that we're paying attention to GSoC participants.

Regards,

Thierry

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 7:38 AM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 24/01/17 10:11, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>>
>> Besides, I'm interested in knowing the official reasons for why we were
>> rejected last years :P.
>

> That's the always the same: we get many more applications than we can
> sponsor, and we have to make a choice.

+1
yes we receive this answer last year.

One option to enhance the situation this year is maybe to have less
projects proposed by Pharo community (10-12 ?) but with more detailed
explanations. Apparently this is something important to be accepted as
an organisation by Google.

There is a small team with Jigyasa, Yuriy, Alexandre who is working on that.
If you have ideas and want to help, you can join #gsoc-planning on Slack.

Thank you.
Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Google summer of code

Ben Coman

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

what I noted from the last attempts is that the Pharo proposal goes like that:

- here is a nice list of project ideas

- newcomers just have to use our current set of tools for interacting and producing code (that is
 slack / mailing list / smalltalkhub / github / fogbugz / medium / etc...)

Maybe preparing something (or planning to) a bit centralized and dedicated to GSoC for the last point could be nice, just to explain that we're paying attention to GSoC participants.

In the past, the GSoC participants seemed to have done their work in isolation away from the main community.  I often felt the community didn't hear much from most participants.
I think this is a bit adverse to the state goals of GSoC...

 * Help open source projects identify and bring in new developers. [1]
 * Help students integrate with their development community and so encourage them to become lifetime contributors [1]
 * During the bonding period, students are expected to get to know their project communities and participate in project discussion [1]
 * Get students engaged socially in the project. [2]
 * This is about building the STUDENT’S experience. Getting code in your project is a nice side effect. [3]

Perhaps those are worth some focus in the application and project selection.

cheers -ben

Regards,

Thierry