[Göran Krampe] Fw: Need for atomic import?

1 message Options

[Göran Krampe] Fw: Need for atomic import?

Nicolas Petton

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Not sure if this got to the list...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2, wohoo!

From: Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>
Date: Sep 28, 2012 9:55
Subject: Need for atomic import?
To: [hidden email]

Hi folks!

With the new shiny compiler tool chain that Nicolas pushed recently came
full br0kenness to the main Amber Makefile in the st directory.

I attached a still broken but "improved" version of it, it now compiles
and exports Compiler-IR and Compiler-Exceptions fine - but then it tries
to chew Compiler-Core and it all goes to HELL :)

SIDENOTE: Need to use attached Compiler-Core.st has a tiny dependency
hack-fix. Can't reference InlinedCodeGenerator because it is in
Compiler-Inlining which depends on Core... (and round you go!)

TO TRY: Put both files in amber/st and do "make clean && make"

Now, without even looking that close, it seems pretty obvious that
Compiler redefining class Compiler etc will break hard. I think we have
just been "lucky" before - possibly because we have managed to avoid
"large changes to Compiler" between full compiles etc.

Anyway, so one way to "fix" this is to introduce "atomic compiling" or
"atomic import" which might be even more useful (then we can import x
number of packages in one go).

I guess one way to "hack" this is by prefixing classnames during import
so that we make sure we do not overwcommittedrite any existing classes.
And then simply "replace" all touched classes in one big swooooop at the
end.

Other ideas? Other solutions to the cutting-off-the-branch-we-sit-on?

regards, Göran

Compiler-Core.st (23K) Download Attachment
Makefile (4K) Download Attachment