Goto… Lively Kernel! - URL shortener

Roeder, Marko
Hi, all -

I finally took a shot at a URL shortener for Lively after having some simple implementation idea - based on CouchDB/Couchbase of cause.
And just 2-3h later, this is what I got:

http://www.lively-kernel.org/goto/Welcome

You can get a nice list of URLs if you go to: http://www.lively-kernel.org/goto

Also creating short URLs has never been easier:
Just "PUT" to your goto-URL, like http://www.lively-kernel.org/goto/HelloWorld?url=http://www.lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/webwerkstatt.xhtml

And there is only one simple rule: Our URL shortener is restricted to http://www.lively-kernel.org/SOMETHING - no other domains, etc. allowed!

Have fun testing our service and come back with some feedback :-)!

Best,

        - Marko

PS: And do not forget, using our SVN/WebDAV repository you can also create short URLs for "historic URLs" like http://www.lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/!svn/bc/46887/webwerkstatt.xhtml (webwerkstatt.xhtml rev. 46887; January 21st 2011; good, old Lively 1 ;-)!

Re: Goto… Lively Kernel! - URL shortener

Lauritz Thamsen

Hi Marko.

Nice! :-)

Here's a part for sending those shortener requests. It's also in parts bin (PartsBin/Wiki/URLShortener).
(Note: In some current versions of chromium/chrome, 302er responses aren't handled correctly - for this reason, that parts overwrites short cuts in those browsers without confirmation.)

Best,

Lauritz

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Roeder, Marko <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Lauritz -

That is what I was hoping for ;-)! @ Part

@ 302 response:
I did not want to do an 301 as the target might change and the browser can cache a 301 result...
I am wondering whether a 303 would be better...

I also added the feature to delete short urls: Simply do a "DELETE" on the goto-page (say: DELETE http://www.lively-kernel.org/goto/Mistake)

Thanks for your feedback,

- Marko

On Nov 9, 2011, at 4:09 , Lauritz Thamsen wrote:

Hi Marko.

Nice! :-)

Here's a part for sending those shortener requests. It's also in parts bin (PartsBin/Wiki/URLShortener).
(Note: In some current versions of chromium/chrome, 302er responses aren't handled correctly - for this reason, that parts overwrites short cuts in those browsers without confirmation)

Best,
Lauritz

Re: Goto… Lively Kernel! - URL shortener

Roeder, Marko
Just a small update:

Related to my introduction of permissions to our CouchDB installation, now it is no longer possible to update/delete short urls someone else has created. :-)
You can only update your short urls (or delete them).

        - Marko