Gradualtalk

Bob Williams
I am trying to look at the annotation typing used in Gradualtalk, but I am having no success. I download the gradualtalk. zip and what I think is the correct Cog VM, but when I run Croquet I do not see any window; I do see the application running in the Task Manager. I am trying to install it on a computer running Windows Vista. The files in the Gradualtalk directory are:

Croquet.exe        created 4 Oct 2010
Croquet.ini
Croquet.map
Gradualtalk.changes       created 3 12 2013
Gradualtalk.image
PharoDebug.log
SqueadFFIPrims.dll
stderr
Win32OSProcessPlugin.dll

Both stderr and PharoDebug.log were created when I attempted the run. The PharoDebug.log has the following:

THERE_BE_DRAGONS_HERE
==== Startup Error: MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "do:" is nil
11 June 2014 9:36:03.002 am

VM: Win32 - IX86 - 6.0 -

Any help would be appreciated. Would I have more success on a Mac?

bw

PS: Will the annotation typing be included in a future Pharo releases?

Re: Gradualtalk

jfabry
Hi Bob,

I think you’ve got the wrong vm. We have not tried Gradualtalk on Windows, but it’s odd to me that your vm is Croquet.exe. Could you download the latest vm from the Pharo website and try with that?

On Jun 11, 2014, at 10:16 AM, Bob Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to look at the annotation typing used in Gradualtalk, but I am having no success. I download the gradualtalk. zip and what I think is the correct Cog VM, but when I run Croquet I do not see any window; I do see the application running in the Task Manager. I am trying to install it on a computer running Windows Vista. The files in the Gradualtalk directory are:
>
> Croquet.exe        created 4 Oct 2010
> Croquet.ini
> Croquet.map
> Gradualtalk.changes       created 3 12 2013
> Gradualtalk.image
> PharoDebug.log
> SqueadFFIPrims.dll
> stderr
> Win32OSProcessPlugin.dll
>
> Both stderr and PharoDebug.log were created when I attempted the run. The PharoDebug.log has the following:
>
> THERE_BE_DRAGONS_HERE
> ==== Startup Error: MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "do:" is nil
> 11 June 2014 9:36:03.002 am
>
> VM: Win32 - IX86 - 6.0 -
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Would I have more success on a Mac?
>
> bw
>
> PS: Will the annotation typing be included in a future Pharo releases?

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Gradualtalk

Bob Williams
Johan

Thank you for pointing me to the VM download on the Pharo site, that worked after I changed Pharo.exe to Gradualtalk.exe. Is there a more thorough reference than the quick reference (I have the paper Gradual Typing For Smalltalk)? I noticed that Magnitude, Number and Integer have uses:TTyped. The quick reference stated that the class and it subclasses would have the type system activated, so are the last two required or is the reference in error?

Will this typing be incorporated into Pharo or is it dead?

Thanks

bw

Re: Gradualtalk

jfabry
Hi Bob,

AFAIK it’s not required for the subclasses to use TTyped as well. If that does not work in your case do tell us, that means there’s a bug somewhere.

Gradualtalk, as is, is a research prototype and not ready for production at all. We are doing experiments with GT, but it would take a considerable effort to have it ready for daily use in ‘real life’ situations. Sadly we do not have such resources at our disposal. :-(