Grafoscopio (Initial) Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Thanks for this exciting project! I'm very intrigued after reading some of
your blog posts because I have been actively working with big data in Pharo,
but mostly by hacking/cobbling things together without a proper
toolset/community.

Here are a few things I noticed as I started playing around:
- Maybe you should change the load command in the StHub readme to:
```
Metacello new
        smalltalkhubUser: 'Offray' project: 'Grafoscopio';
  configuration: 'Grafoscopio';
  load.
```
  - the current script is in an old form
  - it also hardcodes Pharo 5
  - This would greatly simplify the load via script instructions in the
manual
- Is it supposed to load in Pharo 6.1? I got `OrderedCollection DNU
#asSymbol from #listOutdatedDocsIn:. I stubbed out #isUpdated to return true
and it loaded.
- Do you have any plans to move to git? I would love to contribute, but I've
been spoiled by GH and I just don't have the energy to go back to the mcz
(barrier filled) contribution process ha ha
- I found the intermixing of gray and color buttons confusing. I assumed
that the gray ones were disabled.
- I wonder if labels on the node title and link edit fields might help
discoverability
- All the export formats seem to end up saving to markdown. I assumed this
is because I'm missing an external library? Either way, it would be good to
get some feedback on why it doesn't work as expected and how to make it
work.

Thanks again. Keep moving forward!!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Grafoscopio (Initial) Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> Here are a few things I noticed as I started playing around:

A few more…
- `GrafoscopioDocumentation openDatavizIntro` asks me if I want to update
the doc, which I confirm, but it doesn't then open the doc unless I evaluate
it a second time
- `OffshoreLeaksDocs  introNotebook` fails because `OffshoreLeaksDocs`
doesn't seem to exist in the system. I see
`OffshoreLeaksDB>>#updateIntroNotebook` which sounds promising, but leads to
`GrafoscopioBrowser` DNU #downloadingFrom:withMessage:into:. I see that
GrafoscopioDockingBar does implement it, so I change to that class, but then
get: `SizeMismatch: Collections sizes do not match` because aFilenameString
is trying to be appended via #/ to a file path, but the path is aString, not
aFileReference so execution goes down a weird unproductive rabbit hole. Is
there any reason not to pass aFileReference for location?
- Related to above, I notice that the remote repo (logically a URL) is also
passed around as a string. Is there a reason for that? If it was a real URL
(e.g. via aString asUrl), you could replace hand-rolled things like
`fileName := (downloadUrl splitOn: $/) last.` with `downloadUrl file` [sigh
of relief].
- When I make the changes above to real domain objects, the download
succeeds... or does it?! I expected to find the notebook under the image
directory like all the other books so far, but it's in
~/Documents/Grafoscopio. Why the difference?
- Many of the class side methods of would benefit from annotations - either
<gtExample> (e.g. choroplethWorldMap) or <script> (e.g. #downloadWorldMap).
Both make the method runnable from the browser, and gtExample has many
benefits, the simplest and most immediate of which is bringing up an
inspector on the result
- Speaking of #downloadWorldMap, the source URL seems to be missing
- Twitter - how would one populate with some real data?

Okay, enough for now. HTH.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Grafoscopio (Initial) Feedback

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your feedback.

I presume that you installed Grafoscopio following the instructions at
the SmalltalkHub. They were not updated (they're now), so please follow
the updated instructions and tell me how many of the problems you
reported persist, as most of them have been solved in future releases of
Grafoscopio, including the ones related with auto-update of
documentation and the DataViz package.

I will check the Metacello script in the readme with more time next
week, after holidays.

Cheers,

Offray

On 30/12/17 22:37, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Thanks for this exciting project! I'm very intrigued after reading some of
> your blog posts because I have been actively working with big data in Pharo,
> but mostly by hacking/cobbling things together without a proper
> toolset/community.
>
> Here are a few things I noticed as I started playing around:
> - Maybe you should change the load command in the StHub readme to:
> ```
> Metacello new
> smalltalkhubUser: 'Offray' project: 'Grafoscopio';
>   configuration: 'Grafoscopio';
>   load.
> ```
>   - the current script is in an old form
>   - it also hardcodes Pharo 5
>   - This would greatly simplify the load via script instructions in the
> manual
> - Is it supposed to load in Pharo 6.1? I got `OrderedCollection DNU
> #asSymbol from #listOutdatedDocsIn:. I stubbed out #isUpdated to return true
> and it loaded.
> - Do you have any plans to move to git? I would love to contribute, but I've
> been spoiled by GH and I just don't have the energy to go back to the mcz
> (barrier filled) contribution process ha ha
> - I found the intermixing of gray and color buttons confusing. I assumed
> that the gray ones were disabled.
> - I wonder if labels on the node title and link edit fields might help
> discoverability
> - All the export formats seem to end up saving to markdown. I assumed this
> is because I'm missing an external library? Either way, it would be good to
> get some feedback on why it doesn't work as expected and how to make it
> work.
>
> Thanks again. Keep moving forward!!
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Grafoscopio (Initial) Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I loaded via this:

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> Metacello new
>> smalltalkhubUser: 'Offray' project: 'Grafoscopio';
>>   configuration: 'Grafoscopio';
>>   load.

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
> please follow the updated instructions

Where are the correct ones?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Enviado desde mi dispositivo Android con K-9 Mail. Por favor, disculpa mi brevedad.

Re: Grafoscopio (Initial) Feedback

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
> Now they're in the SThub and also in the PDF Manual linked there.

Ah, okay I see they are updated for 6.1, but they still use Gofer. Also,
IIRC (I moved all my development to git a while ago now) the best practice
is to always keep the most up-to-date ConfigurationOf in the canonical repo
(i.e. yours) and then /copy/ it to the relevant platform metaRepoForXyz's.
Otherwise, in my experience one invites chaos because people are downloading
variously out-of-date configs from multiple sources (like me last night
spending time reporting already-fixed bugs; don't worry I'm not upset!). See
my previous post for the preferred script that should be expected to work on
/any/ supported platform.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Grafoscopio (Initial) Feedback

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi Sean,

I would like to use the Metacello script you advised to me for loading
Grafoscopio. The Gopher scripts were created following documentation in
PBE2.

Does any has pointers to documentation on how to create Metacello
installing scripts?

Thanks,

Offray

On 31/12/17 11:08, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> Now they're in the SThub and also in the PDF Manual linked there.
> Ah, okay I see they are updated for 6.1, but they still use Gofer. Also,
> IIRC (I moved all my development to git a while ago now) the best practice
> is to always keep the most up-to-date ConfigurationOf in the canonical repo
> (i.e. yours) and then /copy/ it to the relevant platform metaRepoForXyz's.
> Otherwise, in my experience one invites chaos because people are downloading
> variously out-of-date configs from multiple sources (like me last night
> spending time reporting already-fixed bugs; don't worry I'm not upset!). See
> my previous post for the preferred script that should be expected to work on
> /any/ supported platform.
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean