GraphViz in pharo

Guillermo Polito
Hi! I downloaded Graphviz yesterday in my ubuntu machine using pharo 1.1.1 with cog, and graphviz worked very well :).

Today I'm using a pharo 1.1 image and 4.0.2 VM on windows machine and I can't make it work :(.

Graphviz needs OSProcess and CommandShell.  I downloaded them, but there are some problems:

- For windows it uses Win32Shell, which isn't in my Pharo Image of course :P.  So I replaced it by CommandShell but it is still failing.
- I'm trying to use CommandShell on its own, but I have the folowing result:

$ ls
cannot access system to run 'ls'

GraphViz was adapted to pharo this year on June by "SR".  ¿Does someone know who's him or her?  ¿Can someone send me a tip?

Thanks!
Guille

Re: GraphViz in pharo

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> Hi! I downloaded Graphviz yesterday in my ubuntu machine using pharo 1.1.1
> with cog, and graphviz worked very well :).
>
> Today I'm using a pharo 1.1 image and 4.0.2 VM on windows machine and I
> can't make it work :(.
>
> Graphviz needs OSProcess and CommandShell.  I downloaded them, but there are
> some problems:
>
> - For windows it uses Win32Shell, which isn't in my Pharo Image of course
> :P.  So I replaced it by CommandShell but it is still failing.

Win32Shell is in FFI. CommandShell doesn't work on windows. If you want to
use pipes instead of files for input/output on windows, then try
ProcessWrapper.

Btw there's a fork of Graphviz in Gjallar's repository:
http://mc.gjallar.se if someone is interested.

> - I'm trying to use CommandShell on its own, but I have the folowing result:
>
> *$ ls
> cannot access system to run 'ls'*
>
> GraphViz was adapted to pharo this year on June by "SR".  ?Does someone know
> who's him or her?  ?Can someone send me a tip?

SR is probably Stefan Reichhart.

Levente

> Thanks!
> Guille

Re: GraphViz in pharo

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:10:05PM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>
> >Hi! I downloaded Graphviz yesterday in my ubuntu machine using pharo 1.1.1
> >with cog, and graphviz worked very well :).
> >
> >Today I'm using a pharo 1.1 image and 4.0.2 VM on windows machine and I
> >can't make it work :(.
> >
> >Graphviz needs OSProcess and CommandShell.  I downloaded them, but there
> >are
> >some problems:
> >
> >- For windows it uses Win32Shell, which isn't in my Pharo Image of course
> >:P.  So I replaced it by CommandShell but it is still failing.
>
> Win32Shell is in FFI. CommandShell doesn't work on windows. If you want to
> use pipes instead of files for input/output on windows, then try
> ProcessWrapper.

GraphViz used to run on Windows by writing and reading temporary files.
On Unix/Mac it used OSProcess/CommandShell. I do not know the current
status of GraphViz, but I would expect that it would be possible to at
least get a file-based version working. ProcessWrapper would be better
if someone has done the work for that.

Dave

> Btw there's a fork of Graphviz in Gjallar's repository:
> http://mc.gjallar.se if someone is interested.
>
> >- I'm trying to use CommandShell on its own, but I have the folowing
> >result:
> >
> >*$ ls
> >cannot access system to run 'ls'*
> >
> >GraphViz was adapted to pharo this year on June by "SR".  ?Does someone
> >know
> >who's him or her?  ?Can someone send me a tip?
>
> SR is probably Stefan Reichhart.
>

> Levente
>

> >Thanks!
> >Guille

Guille

Re: GraphViz in pharo

Schwab,Wilhelm K

Does that mean that Grapviz exists both in executable and library forms?

Re: GraphViz in pharo

Guillermo Polito
Thankyou alot Levente! :D

I needed it urgently :P.

AFAIK SmallUML (by Carlita Griggio) will support graph rendering -not just class diagrams- in the near future.  It's just I couldn't wait for that :(.

Fernando, what do you mean?  I don't know what Alien does (I thought it was just like ffi) :(.  Can you send me a link with more info so I can read and learn about it?

Thank you all! :)

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

Does that mean that Grapviz exists both in executable and library forms?

Re: GraphViz in pharo

Tudor Girba
I did not take a look at the Graphviz implementation that Levente pointed out, but Mondrian also provides an extension to layout graphs using Graphviz. It currently works with OSProcess and is available in the MondrianGraphvizLayout package.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."