Graphical Objects

Brad Fuller-4
Hi All,

I just looked at Pharo and it's nice and organized. Wow! I was
wondering if anyone has ported the graphical objects window from
mainline squeak - the selection from the main menu "objects" which
creates a morph of a variety of objects to choose for drawing,
scripting  and displaying (with Rectangles, Book, Image, Text,
Multimedia submenu, etc.)

--
Brad Fuller
+1 (408) 335-0112

Re: Graphical Objects

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi brad
No :)
We removed it ;) because it was a mess
but I would like to have have a better one.
We could imagine morph to use a creation method with  a pragma and
that a tool would query that pragma
and we could get the morph.

Stef

where we can create Morphs (that can be created).

On Jul 14, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just looked at Pharo and it's nice and organized. Wow! I was
> wondering if anyone has ported the graphical objects window from
> mainline squeak - the selection from the main menu "objects" which
> creates a morph of a variety of objects to choose for drawing,
> scripting  and displaying (with Rectangles, Book, Image, Text,
> Multimedia submenu, etc.)
>
> --
> Brad Fuller
> +1 (408) 335-0112

Re: Graphical Objects

Brad Fuller-4
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Stéphane
Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi brad
> No :)
> We removed it ;) because it was a mess
> but I would like to have have a better one.
> We could imagine morph to use a creation method with  a pragma and
> that a tool would query that pragma
> and we could get the morph.

I agree that it was messy, from my inexperienced skillset. I would
love to have a way to create projects or books and populate with
graphics and multimedia for presentations. Pharo looks so nice and it
seems to run quickly (could be my mind though) that it would be great
to use.

> Stef
>
> where we can create Morphs (that can be created).
>
> On Jul 14, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just looked at Pharo and it's nice and organized. Wow! I was
>> wondering if anyone has ported the graphical objects window from
>> mainline squeak - the selection from the main menu "objects" which
>> creates a morph of a variety of objects to choose for drawing,
>> scripting  and displaying (with Rectangles, Book, Image, Text,
>> Multimedia submenu, etc.)
>>
>> --
>> Brad Fuller
>> +1 (408) 335-0112

Brad Fuller
+1 (408) 335-0112

Re: Graphical Objects

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jul 14, 2009, at 9:50 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Stéphane
> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi brad
>> No :)
>> We removed it ;) because it was a mess
>> but I would like to have have a better one.
>> We could imagine morph to use a creation method with  a pragma and
>> that a tool would query that pragma
>> and we could get the morph.
>
> I agree that it was messy, from my inexperienced skillset. I would
> love to have a way to create projects or books and populate with
> graphics and multimedia for presentations. Pharo looks so nice and it
> seems to run quickly (could be my mind though) that it would be great
> to use.

we will remove BookMorph because it is a giant huge terrible mess.
Now if you want multimedia publishing or creation have you look at
openSophie?

Stef

>> Stef
>>
>> where we can create Morphs (that can be created).
>>
>> On Jul 14, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I just looked at Pharo and it's nice and organized. Wow! I was
>>> wondering if anyone has ported the graphical objects window from
>>> mainline squeak - the selection from the main menu "objects" which
>>> creates a morph of a variety of objects to choose for drawing,
>>> scripting  and displaying (with Rectangles, Book, Image, Text,
>>> Multimedia submenu, etc.)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brad Fuller
>>> +1 (408) 335-0112

> Brad Fuller
> +1 (408) 335-0112

Re: Graphical Objects

Brad Fuller-4
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Stéphane
Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2009, at 9:50 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Stéphane
>> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi brad
>>> No :)
>>> We removed it ;) because it was a mess
>>> but I would like to have have a better one.
>>> We could imagine morph to use a creation method with  a pragma and
>>> that a tool would query that pragma
>>> and we could get the morph.
>>
>> I agree that it was messy, from my inexperienced skillset. I would
>> love to have a way to create projects or books and populate with
>> graphics and multimedia for presentations. Pharo looks so nice and it
>> seems to run quickly (could be my mind though) that it would be great
>> to use.
>
> we will remove BookMorph because it is a giant huge terrible mess.
> Now if you want multimedia publishing or creation have you look at
> openSophie?

I have looked at Sophie in a limited way.. First, it's Java now
(hmmmm..) But, kidding aside,  I didn't particularity like the way
Sophie confined the space for objects. My perception might clearly be
a result of my limited use of (Squeak) Sophie, perhaps John can steer
me in the right direction. I also believe (Java) Sophie is just in
alpha and Squeak Sophie is not maintained.

I just liked the way I could create presentations in Squeak - it
seemed open and I could create any new objects or tweak the old by
adjusting code.

--
Brad Fuller
+1 (408) 335-0112

Re: Graphical Objects

Stéphane Ducasse

>>> I agree that it was messy, from my inexperienced skillset. I would
>>> love to have a way to create projects or books and populate with
>>> graphics and multimedia for presentations. Pharo looks so nice and
>>> it
>>> seems to run quickly (could be my mind though) that it would be
>>> great
>>> to use.
>>
>> we will remove BookMorph because it is a giant huge terrible mess.
>> Now if you want multimedia publishing or creation have you look at
>> openSophie?
>
> I have looked at Sophie in a limited way.. First, it's Java now
> (hmmmm..) But, kidding aside,  I didn't particularity like the way
> Sophie confined the space for objects. My perception might clearly be
> a result of my limited use of (Squeak) Sophie, perhaps John can steer
> me in the right direction. I also believe (Java) Sophie is just in
> alpha and Squeak Sophie is not maintained.
>
> I just liked the way I could create presentations in Squeak - it
> seemed open and I could create any new objects or tweak the old by
> adjusting code.

I liked that too except that I lost my soul trying to do a loop to
load projects
for my presentation.
In pharo there is bookmorph anymore (if someone wants to build a new one
we would be happy but not one like the old one).
I did a tiny project once to create slideMorph but this was not as
complete
as bookmorph but may be a start.

Re: Graphical Objects

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Brad,

I never like to see a Smalltalk project being rewritten in X to improve this or that, _especially_ its stability.  Knowing nothing other than having looked at Sophie a while back and the little bit I read courtesy of a quick search on Sophie and Java, some guesses:

First, I suspect the strange look did not help.  Sophie had a very pre-Pinesoft, post-Croquet "enhanced" look IIRC - not what one wants to show to marketing types.  I can picture that meeting; good thing I'm busy that year.  Add to that the Squeak community's general aversion for modal dialogs (even dialogs in general) that keep users out of trouble, and things would not go well.  Don't believe me about modes?  Consider my boss - a great guy, inventive, brilliant (no, I'm not just sucking up<g>, besides, he'll never read this) and able to turn a poorly protected piece of software into mush.  Let him start the machine working on multiple conflicting/racing tasks at your peril, ok.  Modes can be good; properly designed, they guide the user vs. being a gratuitous constraint.

Second, and perhaps more tenuous, I wonder about the design of Squeak's streams.  They did say they wanted to improve stability.  Personally, my money is on the (absense of) user interface convention mixed with real users leading to a mess, but Squeak's default actions can obscure the real cause of an error.  Instead of understanding that too much was read at a well-defined place (while it is happening), one gets a subsequent bounds violation or other other problem, very likely "long" after the I/O is done.  It's asking for trouble IMHO.

Bill