Graphical oddities across image save (squeak 5.1)

12

Graphical oddities across image save (squeak 5.1)

Bob Arning-2

Here is a strange one. I noticed a few morphs changing appearance after saving the image. It seems to be related to the hibernation of Forms which happens prior to saving the image. This snippet

(m := SimpleButtonMorph new)
    label: 'Black on yellow';
    color: Color yellow.
Form allInstancesDo: [ :f | f hibernate].    "this happens when saving image"
m imageForm asMorph openInWorld

has a white background for the text with a bit of yellow surrounding it. Running it in a clean 5.1 image gets the expected result: black text on a yellow background. However, if I load the preferences from my current image into the clean image, then the problem occurs: black on white on yellow. My prefs are attached if you would like to take a stab at it (and if it isn't too large an attachment).

my.prefs.zip (138K) Download Attachment

Re: Graphical oddities across image save (squeak 5.1)

Bob Arning-2

A bit more on what's happening

If the font used (the default font in the example below) is a StrikeFont, then this

f1 _ Form extent: 100@100 depth: 32.
f1 fillColor: Color green.
Form allInstancesDo: [ :f | f hibernate].
f1 getCanvas drawString: 'Black on green' in: (0@0 extent: 100@100) font: nil color: Color black.
f1 asMorph openInWorld.

draws black text on a white rectangle on a larger green rectangle. StrikeFonts are drawn (in depth 32, anyway) by a primitive using rule 34. If the primitive fails, then #copyBits is used character by character.

primDisplayString: aString from: startIndex to: stopIndex map: glyphMap xTable: xTable kern: kernDelta
    | ascii |
    <primitive:'primitiveDisplayString' module:'BitBltPlugin'>
    startIndex to: stopIndex do:[:charIndex|
        ascii := (aString at: charIndex) asciiValue.
        glyphMap ifNotNil:[ascii := glyphMap at: ascii+1].
        sourceX := xTable at: ascii + 1.
        width := (xTable at: ascii + 2) - sourceX.
        self copyBits.
        destX := destX + width + kernDelta.
    ].

It seems like rule 34 is handled differently by primitiveDisplayString and primitiveCopyBits. If I add code as exists elsewhere to unhibernate forms and retry, all is working as expected:

primDisplayString: aString from: startIndex to: stopIndex map: glyphMap xTable: xTable kern: kernDelta
    | ascii |
    <primitive:'primitiveDisplayString' module:'BitBltPlugin'>
    (sourceForm isForm and: [sourceForm unhibernate]) ifTrue: [
        ^self primDisplayString: aString from: startIndex to: stopIndex map: glyphMap xTable: xTable kern: kernDelta
    ].
    (destForm isForm and: [destForm unhibernate]) ifTrue: [
        ^self primDisplayString: aString from: startIndex to: stopIndex map: glyphMap xTable: xTable kern: kernDelta
    ].
    (halftoneForm isForm and: [halftoneForm unhibernate]) ifTrue: [

On 10/6/17 10:59 PM, Bob Arning wrote:

[...]

Hi Bob,

I would look for state that changes via preferences updates. Here are two side-effects that might help understand the situation:

Preferences class >> #storePreferencesIn:
It is odd that there is a hidden clean-up of the var "Parameters" in this method. You image might have specifics in that var?

Preference >> #notifyInformeeOfChange
PragmaPreference >> #notifyInformeeOfChange
Your current image and a fresh 5.1 image might trigger different amounts of those update calls.

Best,
Marcel

Am 07.10.2017 14:17:48 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Here it is boiled down:

x _ #('Bitmap DejaVu Sans' 'Atlanta') at: 1.
f1 _ Form extent: 100@100 depth: 32.
f1 fillColor: Color green.
Form allInstancesDo: [ :f | f hibernate].
f1 getCanvas drawString: 'Black on green' in: (0@0 extent: 100@100) font: (StrikeFont familyName: x size: 12) color: Color black.
f1 asMorph openInWorld.

Do this in a clean 5.1 image and all looks as expected.

Turn off subPixelRendering and the problem appears.

The Atlanta font works fine either way.

On 10/7/17 8:32 AM, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
[...]

Tobias Pape

> On 07.10.2017, at 14:15, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It seems like rule 34 is handled differently by primitiveDisplayString and primitiveCopyBits. If I add code as exists elsewhere to unhibernate forms and retry, all is working as expected:

This seems like a very reasonable thing.
Care to put it into the inbox?

Best regards
        -Tobias

How to submit something to the inbox (was: Graphical oddities across image save (squeak 5.1))

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 11:12:10AM -0400, Bob Arning wrote:
> I never learned how. :-(

I am sure you are not the only one. I guess we should get some very simple
and clear instructions on the squeak.org page for How To Contribute to the
Inbox.

If you do not mind giving it a try, here is what you can do:

1) Create an account on source.squeak.org
  A) Using a web browser, go to http://source.squeak.org.
  B) On the left side of the web page, click on "Register Member".
  C) Fill in the information on the form. In the "Initials:" field, use your
     regular author initials, same as for method stamps.
  D) Click "Save".
  E) Remember the password that you just defined, because you will use it
     in step 2 below.

2) Open the inbox repository
  A) In your Squeak 5.1 image, open a Monticello Browser.
  B) On the right hand side of the browser, highlight the "http://source.squeak.org.trunk" repository.
  C) Do a right-click, select "edit repository info"
  D) In the edit dialog, change "trunk" to "inbox" in the location, put
     your author initials in the "user" field, and put your new password
     in the "password" field.
  E) Click "Accept"
  F) Verify that http://source.squeak.org/inbox now appears as a repository
     in the right hand pane of your Monticello browser.

3) Get ready to commit your changes to the inbox
  A) Make sure your image is updated (world -> help... -> update code from server)
  B) In the Monticello browser, highlight package "Morphic" on the left, and
     repository "http://source.squeak.org/trunk" on the right.
  C) Click the "Changes" button on the top.
  D) The "changes" here are the differences between your image and the most
     recent version in the trunk repository. Verify that these are the changes
     that you want to submit, no more and no less. If something looks wrong, stop
     and ask for tips on the squeak-dev list.

4) Submit your changes to the inbox
  A) Now highlight the "http://source.squeak.org/inbox" repository on the right
     pane of the Monticello browser, and package "Morphic" on the left.
  B) Click the "Save" button on the top of the Monticello browser.
  C) In the dialog that opens now, find the "empty log message" text. Replace
     it with your description of what you are changing. This would be the same
     kind of description that you would put into the preamble of a change set.
  D) Click "Accept"
  E) Wait for the changes to be sent to the inbox repository.

5) Follow ups
  A) Your new update should now appear in the inbox. In the Monticello browser,
     highlight the inbox repository and click the "Open" button at the top.
     A Repository Browser will open. Click the "Refresh" button, and you should
     see your new entry listed. You can also find in through the web interface
     for http://source.squeak.org.
  B) On the squeak-dev list, a mail notification should appear within a few minutes
     to notify the list about your new submission.
  C) You can reply to that notification on the list, or to your earlier mail thread
     to offer any other explanations or to ask someone to look at your inbox submission
     and move it to trunk (or to "treated inbox" if it is not suitable for trunk for
     some reason).

Dave

> On 10/7/17 10:37 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:
> >>On 07.10.2017, at 14:15, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >>It seems like rule 34 is handled differently by primitiveDisplayString
> >>and primitiveCopyBits. If I add code as exists elsewhere to unhibernate
> >>forms and retry, all is working as expected:
> >>
> >This seems like a very reasonable thing.
> >Care to put it into the inbox?
> >
> >Best regards
> > -Tobias

Re: How to submit something to the inbox (was: Graphical oddities across image save (squeak 5.1))

Tobias Pape
Thanks Dave!

> On 07.10.2017, at 20:02, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 11:12:10AM -0400, Bob Arning wrote:
>> I never learned how. :-(
>>

> I am sure you are not the only one. I guess we should get some very simple
> and clear instructions on the squeak.org page for How To Contribute to the
> Inbox.

Two comments:

> If you do not mind giving it a try, here is what you can do:

Step 1 is optional but helps the discussion :)
Inbox is open for all

> 1) Create an account on source.squeak.org
>  A) Using a web browser, go to http://source.squeak.org.
>  B) On the left side of the web page, click on "Register Member".
>  C) Fill in the information on the form. In the "Initials:" field, use your
>     regular author initials, same as for method stamps.
>  D) Click "Save".
>  E) Remember the password that you just defined, because you will use it
>     in step 2 below.

Note to _NOT_ use valuable passwords in step E. We have yet to provide HTTPS here.

Best regards
        -Tobias

> 2) Open the inbox repository
>  A) In your Squeak 5.1 image, open a Monticello Browser.
>  B) On the right hand side of the browser, highlight the "http://source.squeak.org.trunk" repository.
>  C) Do a right-click, select "edit repository info"
>  D) In the edit dialog, change "trunk" to "inbox" in the location, put
>     your author initials in the "user" field, and put your new password
>     in the "password" field.
>  E) Click "Accept"
>  F) Verify that http://source.squeak.org/inbox now appears as a repository
>     in the right hand pane of your Monticello browser.
>
> 3) Get ready to commit your changes to the inbox
>  A) Make sure your image is updated (world -> help... -> update code from server)
>  B) In the Monticello browser, highlight package "Morphic" on the left, and
>     repository "http://source.squeak.org/trunk" on the right.
>  C) Click the "Changes" button on the top.
>  D) The "changes" here are the differences between your image and the most
>     recent version in the trunk repository. Verify that these are the changes
>     that you want to submit, no more and no less. If something looks wrong, stop
>     and ask for tips on the squeak-dev list.
>
> 4) Submit your changes to the inbox
>  A) Now highlight the "http://source.squeak.org/inbox" repository on the right
>     pane of the Monticello browser, and package "Morphic" on the left.
>  B) Click the "Save" button on the top of the Monticello browser.
>  C) In the dialog that opens now, find the "empty log message" text. Replace
>     it with your description of what you are changing. This would be the same
>     kind of description that you would put into the preamble of a change set.
>  D) Click "Accept"
>  E) Wait for the changes to be sent to the inbox repository.
>
> 5) Follow ups
>  A) Your new update should now appear in the inbox. In the Monticello browser,
>     highlight the inbox repository and click the "Open" button at the top.
>     A Repository Browser will open. Click the "Refresh" button, and you should
>     see your new entry listed. You can also find in through the web interface
>     for http://source.squeak.org.
>  B) On the squeak-dev list, a mail notification should appear within a few minutes
>     to notify the list about your new submission.
>  C) You can reply to that notification on the list, or to your earlier mail thread
>     to offer any other explanations or to ask someone to look at your inbox submission
>     and move it to trunk (or to "treated inbox" if it is not suitable for trunk for
>     some reason).
>

> Dave

>>> This seems like a very reasonable thing.
>>> Care to put it into the inbox?
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> -Tobias

Re: How to submit something to the inbox (was: Graphical oddities across image save (squeak 5.1))

Karl Ramberg
Make a help topic and add this to the help browser :-)

Best,
Karl

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 8:02 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

  C) You can reply to that notification on the list, or to your earlier mail thread
     to offer any other explanations or to ask someone to look at your inbox submission
     and move it to trunk (or to "treated inbox" if it is not suitable for trunk for
     some reason).

Dave

> On 10/7/17 10:37 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:
> >>On 07.10.2017, at 14:15, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >>It seems like rule 34 is handled differently by primitiveDisplayString
> >>and primitiveCopyBits. If I add code as exists elsewhere to unhibernate
> >>forms and retry, all is working as expected:
> >>
> >This seems like a very reasonable thing.
> >Care to put it into the inbox?
> >
> >Best regards
> >     -Tobias

Re: How to submit something to the inbox (was: Graphical oddities across image save (squeak 5.1))

Jakob Reschke-2
For better PR, this list should be shortened to a few concise steps
when put on squeak.org, IMHO. The long list would make me think that
contributing to Squeak were complicated. Even though not all of the
steps have to be repeated every time... I am referring to the first
impression when you see this. These more detailed instructions could
be hidden behind a link, in the wiki, or in a help topic if you will.

Also, why not include the inbox already added as a repository in the
trunk image? Saves step 2. Since the box is open to everybody, this
should not be a problem, or would it?

> [...]
>> trunk for
>>      some reason).
>>

>> Dave

Re: How to submit something to the inbox (was: Graphical oddities across image save (squeak 5.1))

Tobias Pape

> On 07.10.2017, at 21:00, Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For better PR, this list should be shortened to a few concise steps
> when put on squeak.org, IMHO. The long list would make me think that
> contributing to Squeak were complicated. Even though not all of the
> steps have to be repeated every time... I am referring to the first
> impression when you see this. These more detailed instructions could
> be hidden behind a link, in the wiki, or in a help topic if you will.
>
> Also, why not include the inbox already added as a repository in the
> trunk image? Saves step 2. Since the box is open to everybody, this

Should already have been :(

On 10/7/17 2:02 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
3) Get ready to commit your changes to the inbox
  A) Make sure your image is updated (world -> help... -> update code from server)
  B) In the Monticello browser, highlight package "Morphic" on the left, and
     repository "http://source.squeak.org/trunk" on the right.
If I select Morphic on the left (and why am I selecting this?), the pane on the right changes so that my choices are now
'/Users/bob/Desktop/clean 5.1/Squeak5.1-16549-32bit.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache'
'http://source.squeak.org/squeak51'

trunk and inbox are no longer there
  C) Click the "Changes" button on the top.
  D) The "changes" here are the differences between your image and the most
     recent version in the trunk repository. Verify that these are the changes
     that you want to submit, no more and no less. If something looks wrong, stop
     and ask for tips on the squeak-dev list.

Re: How to submit something to the inbox

Hannes Hirzel
I just add the inbox repository on a package by package basis. I.e.
make sure you have selected the package with the * (in your case
'Morphic') _first_, then add the inbox.

Then instead of selecting
/Users/bob/Desktop/clean
5.1/Squeak5.1-16549-32bit.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache'
'http://source.squeak.org/squeak51'

You select the the repository on the right hand side whch is the inbox.

Please also note that for inbox contributions to be useful you have to
submit them from a fully updated latest trunk image.

http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/

See also

How to add the inbox as a repository to commit code to

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6545
(has screen shots)

HTH

--Hannes

Am 08.10.2017 08:04 schrieb "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>:
Please also note that for inbox contributions to be useful you have to
submit them from a fully updated latest trunk image.

I would like to note that this is not strictly required. But it saves the inbox treaters the time for merging. New contributors should rather update before coding because they might find that the issue they are trying to solve has already been resolved.

That being said, one could probably extend the inbox interface to prepare conflict-free merge versions automatically (as a post-upload or pre-treatment-inspection action). CI for the inbox would be nice, too...

A useful fix for an older release could also come in via the inbox, but the author would have to name the target in the commit message because Monticello does not have branch names or targeted merge requests.

Best regards,
Jakob

Re: How to submit something to the inbox

Tobias Pape

> On 08.10.2017, at 13:05, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The problem I noted in 5.1 does not exist in 6.0. Sorry for the disturbance.

The disturbance was worthwhile.
We now know for sure that we have to explain the inbox process better.

Best regards
        -Tobias

> On 10/8/17 2:04 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>> I just add the inbox repository on a package by package basis. I.e.
>> make sure you have selected the package with the * (in your case
>> 'Morphic') _first_, then add the inbox.
>>
>> Then instead of selecting
>> /Users/bob/Desktop/clean
>> 5.1/Squeak5.1-16549-32bit.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache'
>> '
>> http://source.squeak.org/squeak51
>> '
>>
>> You select the the repository on the right hand side whch is the inbox.
>>

>> Please also note that for inbox contributions to be useful you have to
>> submit them from a fully updated latest trunk image.
>>

>> http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/
>>

>> See also
>>
>> How to add the inbox as a repository to commit code to
>>

>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6545
>>
>> (has screen shots)
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 10/8/17, Bob Arning
>> <[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:

>>> If I select Morphic on the left (and why am I selecting this?), the pane
>>> on the right changes so that my choices are now
>>> '/Users/bob/Desktop/clean
>>> 5.1/Squeak5.1-16549-32bit.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache'
>>> '
>>> http://source.squeak.org/squeak51
>>> '
>>>
>>> trunk and inbox are no longer there

Re: How to submit something to the inbox

Bob Arning-2

On 10/7/17 2:02 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 11:12:10AM -0400, Bob Arning wrote:
>> I never learned how. :-(
>>
> I am sure you are not the only one. I guess we should get some very simple
> and clear instructions on the squeak.org page for How To Contribute to the
> Inbox.
>
> If you do not mind giving it a try, here is what you can do:
>
> 1) Create an account on source.squeak.org
>    A) Using a web browser, go to http://source.squeak.org.
>    B) On the left side of the web page, click on "Register Member".
>    C) Fill in the information on the form. In the "Initials:" field, use your
>       regular author initials, same as for method stamps.
>    D) Click "Save".
>    E) Remember the password that you just defined, because you will use it
>       in step 2 below.
>
> 2) Open the inbox repository
>    A) In your Squeak 5.1 image, open a Monticello Browser.
>    B) On the right hand side of the browser, highlight the "http://source.squeak.org.trunk" repository.
That's "/trunk" right?

>    C) Do a right-click, select "edit repository info"
>    D) In the edit dialog, change "trunk" to "inbox" in the location, put
>       your author initials in the "user" field, and put your new password
>       in the "password" field.
>    E) Click "Accept"
>    F) Verify that http://source.squeak.org/inbox now appears as a repository
>       in the right hand pane of your Monticello browser.
>
> 3) Get ready to commit your changes to the inbox
>    A) Make sure your image is updated (world -> help... -> update code from server)
>    B) In the Monticello browser, highlight package "Morphic" on the left, and
"Graphics" in this case?
>       repository "http://source.squeak.org/trunk" on the right.
This is the same "trunk" that I renamed to "inbox" in the previous step?
>    C) Click the "Changes" button on the top.
>    D) The "changes" here are the differences between your image and the most
>       recent version in the trunk repository. Verify that these are the changes
>       that you want to submit, no more and no less. If something looks wrong, stop
>       and ask for tips on the squeak-dev list.
If I get changes from trunk, it is one method. If I get changes from
inbox, it is a bazillion. So, if I save to inbox, am I saving one or a
bazillion?

> 4) Submit your changes to the inbox
>    A) Now highlight the "http://source.squeak.org/inbox" repository on the right
>       pane of the Monticello browser, and package "Morphic" on the left.
>    B) Click the "Save" button on the top of the Monticello browser.
>    C) In the dialog that opens now, find the "empty log message" text. Replace
>       it with your description of what you are changing. This would be the same
>       kind of description that you would put into the preamble of a change set.
>    D) Click "Accept"
>    E) Wait for the changes to be sent to the inbox repository.
>
> 5) Follow ups
>    A) Your new update should now appear in the inbox. In the Monticello browser,
>       highlight the inbox repository and click the "Open" button at the top.
>       A Repository Browser will open. Click the "Refresh" button, and you should
>       see your new entry listed. You can also find in through the web interface
>       for http://source.squeak.org.
>    B) On the squeak-dev list, a mail notification should appear within a few minutes
>       to notify the list about your new submission.
>    C) You can reply to that notification on the list, or to your earlier mail thread
>       to offer any other explanations or to ask someone to look at your inbox submission
>       and move it to trunk (or to "treated inbox" if it is not suitable for trunk for
>       some reason).
>

> Dave

>>> This seems like a very reasonable thing.
>>> Care to put it into the inbox?
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> -Tobias

12