Graphics-Centric UI Capability?

dmurphy-2
hello all,

i have been nabbling about the list archives, trying to figure out the right class to use for providing a scrolling graph pane on which i can draw shapes.

suppose i were to take UITheme(class)>>exampleWindowWithToolbars and want to turn that into a simple Paint Program.

what would i put in place of the StandardWindow>>newTextEditorFor:getText:setText:getEnabled: message send?

are there any simple Paint Program examples i start with?

thanks for any pointers!

delbert

Re: Graphics-Centric UI Capability?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Caution: this is *not* the answer to your question; I will be waiting to see what the experts say on the subject.  One thing I _can_ tell you is that it is often a good idea to write graphics-producing code in terms of a canvas such that it can draw on "anything" (display, image file and printer come to mind) using the device resolution to scale things correctly.  I have long been amazed that people create (in Dolphin speak) their own views when an image presenter would the job given a "background" bitmap.

There are always exceptions, but IMHO you should at least consider drawing on a Form and displaying that in a appropriate morph, or whatever the gurus suggest.  I hope that makes at least some sense.

Bill

On Sep 12, 2009, at 12:28 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> hello all,
>
> i have been nabbling about the list archives, trying to figure out
> the right class to use for providing a scrolling graph pane on which
> i can draw shapes.
>
> suppose i were to take UITheme(class)>>exampleWindowWithToolbars and
> want to turn that into a simple Paint Program.
>
> what would i put in place of the
> StandardWindow>>newTextEditorFor:getText:setText:getEnabled: message
> send?
>
> are there any simple Paint Program examples i start with?

did you check the extrapackages

available in the project
        PharoMorphic
        PharoSound

In the past in squeak there was a simple paint editor.

Because you have some graphs but they do not use Polymorph.
Now once you find please advertise it.

It is really important to raise the level of knowledge on the
community :)

> thanks for any pointers!
>
> delbert

Re: Graphics-Centric UI Capability?

Igor Stasenko

2009/9/12  <[hidden email]>:

> hello all,
>
> i have been nabbling about the list archives, trying to figure out the right
> class to use for providing a scrolling graph pane on which i can draw
> shapes.
>
> suppose i were to take UITheme(class)>>exampleWindowWithToolbars and want to
> turn that into a simple Paint Program.
>
> what would i put in place of the
> StandardWindow>>newTextEditorFor:getText:setText:getEnabled: message send?
>
> are there any simple Paint Program examples i start with?
>
> thanks for any pointers!
>
> delbert

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Graphics-Centric UI Capability?

Igor Stasenko
Oops sorry for the dumb post.. (im using my friend laptop and not very
handy with keyboard)

There is a generic morph, which made specially for scrolling views
which not fit fully within display.
ScrollPaneMorph or ScrollableMorph (don't remember exactly)
the purpose of this morph is provide a scrollers , while you can embed
any view within it, having any dimensions
and which can be controlled/changed dynamically.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Graphics-Centric UI Capability?

dmurphy-2
thanks for the reminder, Bill, i will keep device-independence in mind, without losing the understandability of a basic example.

delbert

delbert

Re: Graphics-Centric UI Capability?

dmurphy-2
thanks, Stef,

i will check those packages and the original paint in squeak and start building on the PolyMorph application example + Morphic-Windows / ScrollPane example.

i will share iterations as i complete them.

delbert

Re: Graphics-Centric UI Capability?

dmurphy-2
thanks, Igor!

it is Morphic-Windows / ScrollPane (even has example use methods on the class side!)

delbert