Graphics with Anti-Aliasing

Udo Schneider
All,

does somebody has a pointer to a graphics lib/framework/engine for Pharo
which works with Anti-Aliasing.

My first tests with Balloon2D were disappointing (maybe I'm doing
something wrong). But even setting aaLevel does not seem to bring any
result. I.e. the line drawing code falls back to superclass code which
simply draws the same jagged lines like always.

Any pointers?

CU,

Udo

Re: Graphics with Anti-Aliasing

> All,
>
> does somebody has a pointer to a graphics lib/framework/engine for Pharo which works with Anti-Aliasing.
>
> My first tests with Balloon2D were disappointing (maybe I'm doing something wrong). But even setting aaLevel does not seem to bring any result. I.e. the line drawing code falls back to superclass code which simply draws the same jagged lines like always.
>
> Any pointers?

did you check a bit in CUIS or Squeak because I know that there were a couple a little fixes.
Now I do not know if this fix your problems.
What we would like to do probably over the summer, is to propose a Cairo and openVG back end via a common api: rome like.
But this is not for tomorrow, just something we want to have.

> CU,
>
> Udo

Re: Graphics with Anti-Aliasing

Udo Schneider
All,

I'm using the following code. IMHO the line is jagged ... but maybe I'm
doing something wrong:

form := Form extent: 640@480 depth: 32.
"form fillWhite."
canvas := BalloonCanvas on: form.
canvas aaLevel: 4.
canvas line: 0@0 to: 640@480 color: Color red.
morph := ImageMorph new.
morph image: form.
morph openCenteredInWorld.
"morph abandon."

CU.

Udo

On 22.01.11 15:37, Udo Schneider wrote:

> All,
>
> does somebody has a pointer to a graphics lib/framework/engine for Pharo
> which works with Anti-Aliasing.
>
> My first tests with Balloon2D were disappointing (maybe I'm doing
> something wrong). But even setting aaLevel does not seem to bring any
> result. I.e. the line drawing code falls back to superclass code which
> simply draws the same jagged lines like always.
>
> Any pointers?
>
> CU,
>
> Udo

Re: Graphics with Anti-Aliasing

Ricardo Moran
Hi Udo,

Out of curiosity, I executed your code in Squeak and the antialiasing works there. Debugging a little, I found a difference in BalloonCanvas>>#line:to:width:color:. If you update Pharo's implementation with Squeak's one it works in Pharo as well.
There might be other differences so you might look into that.

I hope this helps.
Richo

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Udo Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Richo,

could you tell me which Image/VM/OS you where using?

On my System (Mac OS X 10.6.6) Pharo 1.1 and Squeak 4.1 on Cog VM
(r2349) and regular VM (4.2.5beta1U) both show no antialiasing (image
attached)

Is this maybe somehow platform/plugin related?

Best Regards,

Udo

On 23.01.11 20:28, Ricardo Moran wrote:

> Hi Udo,
>
> Out of curiosity, I executed your code in Squeak and the antialiasing
> works there. Debugging a little, I found a difference in
> BalloonCanvas>>#line:to:width:color:. If you update Pharo's
> implementation with Squeak's one it works in Pharo as well.
> There might be other differences so you might look into that.
>
> I hope this helps.
> Richo
>
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Udo Schneider
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     All,
>
>     I'm using the following code. IMHO the line is jagged ... but maybe
>     I'm doing something wrong:
>
>     form := Form extent: 640@480 depth: 32.
>     "form fillWhite."
>     canvas := BalloonCanvas on: form.
>     canvas aaLevel: 4.
>     canvas line: 0@0 to: 640@480 color: Color red.
>     morph := ImageMorph new.
>     morph image: form.
>     morph openCenteredInWorld.
>     "morph abandon."
>
>     CU.
>
>     Udo
>

>     On 22.01.11 15:37, Udo Schneider wrote:
>
>         All,
>
>         does somebody has a pointer to a graphics lib/framework/engine
>         for Pharo
>         which works with Anti-Aliasing.
>
>         My first tests with Balloon2D were disappointing (maybe I'm doing
>         something wrong). But even setting aaLevel does not seem to
>         bring any
>         result. I.e. the line drawing code falls back to superclass code
>         which
>         simply draws the same jagged lines like always.
>
>         Any pointers?
>
>         CU,
>
>         Udo

test.tiff (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Graphics with Anti-Aliasing

Denis Kudriashov
Its work in another examples.
See WatchMorph. It has halo memu anti alias. And when it activated eclipses looks really good.
I tryed it in pharo1.1 standart windows VM

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Mmmm... maybe it is platform related. I really don't know. I'm on Windows XP.

Pharo version: Pharo1.2rc1 of 18 January 2011 update 12311
Squeak version: Squeak4.2alpha of 4 January 2011 update 10854
Vm version: Squeak3.10.2 of ''5 June 2008'' [latest update: #7179]

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

aatest.PNG (130K) Download Attachment

Re: Graphics with Anti-Aliasing

Schwab,Wilhelm K
The Windows VM is impressive - you can tell Andreas I said so :)  On whole, if there is something to get right in the Squeak/Pharo world, I've come to expect to see it on Windows first - certainly not because of the OS.

Re: Graphics with Anti-Aliasing

Udo Schneider
WatchMorph was a good starting point. It seems that #line:to:color: does
not use Antialiasing. I.e.

form := Form extent: 640@480 depth: 32.
form fillWhite.
canvas := BalloonCanvas on: form.
canvas aaLevel: 4.
canvas line: 0@0 to: 640@480 color: Color red.
morph := ImageMorph new.
morph image: form.
morph openCenteredInWorld.
"morph abandon."

does not show any antialiasing. Replacing it with
#drawPolygon:color:borderWidth:borderColor does use AntiAliasing:

form := Form extent: 640@480 depth: 32.
form fillWhite.
canvas := BalloonCanvas on: form.
canvas aaLevel: 4.
canvas drawPolygon: { 0@0 . 640@480 } color: Color transparent
borderWidth: 1 borderColor: Color red.
morph := ImageMorph new.
morph image: form.
morph openCenteredInWorld.
"morph abandon."

That's a "solution" I can live with - as unintuitive as it is though ...

Thanks for your help.

Udo

On 23.01.11 21:12, Denis Kudriashov wrote:

> Its work in another examples.
> See WatchMorph. It has halo memu anti alias. And when it activated
> eclipses looks really good.
> I tryed it in pharo1.1 standart windows VM
>
> 2011/1/23 Udo Schneider
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Hi Richo,
>
>     could you tell me which Image/VM/OS you where using?
>
>     On my System (Mac OS X 10.6.6) Pharo 1.1 and Squeak 4.1 on Cog VM
>     (r2349) and regular VM (4.2.5beta1U) both show no antialiasing
>     (image attached)
>
>     Is this maybe somehow platform/plugin related?
>
>     Best Regards,
>
>     Udo
>

>     On 23.01.11 20:28, Ricardo Moran wrote:
>
>         Hi Udo,
>
>         Out of curiosity, I executed your code in Squeak and the
>         antialiasing
>         works there. Debugging a little, I found a difference in
>         BalloonCanvas>>#line:to:width:color:. If you update Pharo's
>         implementation with Squeak's one it works in Pharo as well.
>         There might be other differences so you might look into that.
>
>         I hope this helps.
>         Richo
>
>         On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Udo Schneider
>         <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>         wrote:
>
>             All,
>
>             I'm using the following code. IMHO the line is jagged ...
>         but maybe
>             I'm doing something wrong:
>
>             form := Form extent: 640@480 depth: 32.
>         "form fillWhite."
>             canvas := BalloonCanvas on: form.
>             canvas aaLevel: 4.
>             canvas line: 0@0 to: 640@480 color: Color red.
>             morph := ImageMorph new.
>             morph image: form.
>             morph openCenteredInWorld.
>         "morph abandon."
>
>             CU.
>
>             Udo
>

>             On 22.01.11 15:37, Udo Schneider wrote:
>
>                 All,
>
>                 does somebody has a pointer to a graphics
>         lib/framework/engine
>                 for Pharo
>                 which works with Anti-Aliasing.
>
>                 My first tests with Balloon2D were disappointing (maybe
>         I'm doing
>                 something wrong). But even setting aaLevel does not seem to
>                 bring any
>                 result. I.e. the line drawing code falls back to
>         superclass code
>                 which
>                 simply draws the same jagged lines like always.
>
>                 Any pointers?
>
>                 CU,
>
>                 Udo

Re: Graphics with Anti-Aliasing

Denis Kudriashov
I try to found this some times ago.
So you really help me too :)

       wrote:

[...]

Thanks ricardo this is probably the fix I was mentioning.

Stef

On Jan 23, 2011, at 8:28 PM, Ricardo Moran wrote:

> Hi Udo,
>
> Out of curiosity, I executed your code in Squeak and the antialiasing works there. Debugging a little, I found a difference in BalloonCanvas>>#line:to:width:color:. If you update Pharo's implementation with Squeak's one it works in Pharo as well.
> There might be other differences so you might look into that.
>
> I hope this helps.
> Richo
>
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Udo Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm using the following code. IMHO the line is jagged ... but maybe I'm doing something wrong:
>
> form := Form extent: 640@480 depth: 32.
> "form fillWhite."
> canvas := BalloonCanvas on: form.
> canvas aaLevel: 4.
> canvas line: 0@0 to: 640@480 color: Color red.
> morph := ImageMorph new.
> morph image: form.
> morph openCenteredInWorld.
> "morph abandon."
>
> CU.
>
> Udo
>

> On 22.01.11 15:37, Udo Schneider wrote:
> All,
>
> does somebody has a pointer to a graphics lib/framework/engine for Pharo
> which works with Anti-Aliasing.
>
> My first tests with Balloon2D were disappointing (maybe I'm doing
> something wrong). But even setting aaLevel does not seem to bring any
> result. I.e. the line drawing code falls back to superclass code which
> simply draws the same jagged lines like always.
>
> Any pointers?
>
> CU,
>
> Udo

Re: Graphics with Anti-Aliasing

ricardo could you send the code (squeak version) around so that we can try?

Stef

On Jan 23, 2011, at 9:13 PM, Ricardo Moran wrote:

> Mmmm... maybe it is platform related. I really don't know. I'm on Windows XP.
>
> Pharo version: Pharo1.2rc1 of 18 January 2011 update 12311
> Squeak version: Squeak4.2alpha of 4 January 2011 update 10854
> Vm version: Squeak3.10.2 of ''5 June 2008'' [latest update: #7179]
>
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Udo Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Richo,
>
> could you tell me which Image/VM/OS you where using?
>
> On my System (Mac OS X 10.6.6) Pharo 1.1 and Squeak 4.1 on Cog VM (r2349) and regular VM (4.2.5beta1U) both show no antialiasing (image attached)
>
> Is this maybe somehow platform/plugin related?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Udo
>

> On 23.01.11 20:28, Ricardo Moran wrote:
> Hi Udo,
>
> Out of curiosity, I executed your code in Squeak and the antialiasing
> works there. Debugging a little, I found a difference in
> BalloonCanvas>>#line:to:width:color:. If you update Pharo's
> implementation with Squeak's one it works in Pharo as well.
> There might be other differences so you might look into that.
>
> I hope this helps.
> Richo
>
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Udo Schneider
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>    All,
>
>    I'm using the following code. IMHO the line is jagged ... but maybe
>    I'm doing something wrong:
>
>    form := Form extent: 640@480 depth: 32.
>    "form fillWhite."
>    canvas := BalloonCanvas on: form.
>    canvas aaLevel: 4.
>    canvas line: 0@0 to: 640@480 color: Color red.
>    morph := ImageMorph new.
>    morph image: form.
>    morph openCenteredInWorld.
>    "morph abandon."
>
>    CU.
>
>    Udo
>

>    On 22.01.11 15:37, Udo Schneider wrote:
>
>        All,
>
>        does somebody has a pointer to a graphics lib/framework/engine
>        for Pharo
>        which works with Anti-Aliasing.
>
>        My first tests with Balloon2D were disappointing (maybe I'm doing
>        something wrong). But even setting aaLevel does not seem to
>        bring any
>        result. I.e. the line drawing code falls back to superclass code
>        which
>        simply draws the same jagged lines like always.
>
>        Any pointers?
>
>        CU,
>
>        Udo
>

> <aatest.PNG>

Re: Graphics with Anti-Aliasing

Ricardo Moran
Yes, just load the attached file.

Cheers
Richo

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
ricardo could you send the code (squeak version) around so that we can try?

Stef

On Jan 23, 2011, at 9:13 PM, Ricardo Moran wrote:

> Mmmm... maybe it is platform related. I really don't know. I'm on Windows XP.
>
> Pharo version: Pharo1.2rc1 of 18 January 2011 update 12311
> Squeak version: Squeak4.2alpha of 4 January 2011 update 10854
> Vm version: Squeak3.10.2 of ''5 June 2008'' [latest update: #7179]
>
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Udo Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Richo,
>
> could you tell me which Image/VM/OS you where using?
>
> On my System (Mac OS X 10.6.6) Pharo 1.1 and Squeak 4.1 on Cog VM (r2349) and regular VM (4.2.5beta1U) both show no antialiasing (image attached)
>
> Is this maybe somehow platform/plugin related?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Udo
>

> On 23.01.11 20:28, Ricardo Moran wrote:
> Hi Udo,
>
> Out of curiosity, I executed your code in Squeak and the antialiasing
> works there. Debugging a little, I found a difference in
> BalloonCanvas>>#line:to:width:color:. If you update Pharo's
> implementation with Squeak's one it works in Pharo as well.
> There might be other differences so you might look into that.
>
> I hope this helps.
> Richo
>
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Udo Schneider
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>    All,
>
>    I'm using the following code. IMHO the line is jagged ... but maybe
>    I'm doing something wrong:
>
>    form := Form extent: 640@480 depth: 32.
>    "form fillWhite."
>    canvas := BalloonCanvas on: form.
>    canvas aaLevel: 4.
>    canvas line: 0@0 to: 640@480 color: Color red.
>    morph := ImageMorph new.
>    morph image: form.
>    morph openCenteredInWorld.
>    "morph abandon."
>
>    CU.
>
>    Udo
>

>    On 22.01.11 15:37, Udo Schneider wrote:
>
>        All,
>
>        does somebody has a pointer to a graphics lib/framework/engine
>        for Pharo
>        which works with Anti-Aliasing.
>
>        My first tests with Balloon2D were disappointing (maybe I'm doing
>        something wrong). But even setting aaLevel does not seem to
>        bring any
>        result. I.e. the line drawing code falls back to superclass code
>        which
>        simply draws the same jagged lines like always.
>
>        Any pointers?
>
>        CU,
>
>        Udo
>

> <aatest.PNG>

BalloonCanvas-linetowidthcolor.st (618 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Graphics with Anti-Aliasing

Stéphane Ducasse
tx