Grease on Pharo 2.0

Dale Henrichs
This morning we got a request to get Grease ported to Pharo2.0 ...

The issue is that the class BlockContext is not present in Pharo2.0.

So we have a packaging decision to make and we have several options:

  1. rename Grease-Pharo-Core to Grease-Pharo20-Core for Pharo2.0
  2. fork Grease-Pharo-Core for Pharo2.0 creating Grease-Pharo-Core.pharo20
  3. move the BlockContext methods from Grease-Pharo_Core to
     Grease-Pharo1x-Core ... no need for a GreasePharo2x-Core
     package yet.
  4. other alternatives?

For now I will proceed with option 3 just to find out if there are any other 2.0 related issues, but I won't commit any public packages until you guys let me know what your decision is ...

Dale

Re: Grease on Pharo 2.0

Philippe Marschall
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This morning we got a request to get Grease ported to Pharo2.0 ...
>
> The issue is that the class BlockContext is not present in Pharo2.0.
>
> So we have a packaging decision to make and we have several options:
>
>  1. rename Grease-Pharo-Core to Grease-Pharo20-Core for Pharo2.0
>  2. fork Grease-Pharo-Core for Pharo2.0 creating Grease-Pharo-Core.pharo20
>  3. move the BlockContext methods from Grease-Pharo_Core to
>     Grease-Pharo1x-Core ... no need for a GreasePharo2x-Core
>     package yet.
>  4. other alternatives?

BlockContext is only really needed in 1.2 and older, right? 1.3+ with
Cog don't need it, right? If so I would create a Grease-Pharo12-Core
(like we have Grease-Pharo11-Core and Grease-Pharo10-Core).

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Grease on Pharo 2.0

Dale Henrichs
I've got a fair number of Pharo1.3 images that predate the cog switch. Pharo1.4 has been cog only from the start, so it probably should be Grease-Pharo13-Core to be safe.

Dale

| On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>
| wrote:
| > This morning we got a request to get Grease ported to Pharo2.0 ...
| >
| > The issue is that the class BlockContext is not present in
| > Pharo2.0.
| >
| > So we have a packaging decision to make and we have several
| >
| >  1. rename Grease-Pharo-Core to Grease-Pharo20-Core for Pharo2.0
| >  2. fork Grease-Pharo-Core for Pharo2.0 creating
| >  Grease-Pharo-Core.pharo20
| >  3. move the BlockContext methods from Grease-Pharo_Core to
| >     Grease-Pharo1x-Core ... no need for a GreasePharo2x-Core
| >     package yet.
| >  4. other alternatives?
|
| BlockContext is only really needed in 1.2 and older, right? 1.3+ with
| Cog don't need it, right? If so I would create a Grease-Pharo12-Core
| (like we have Grease-Pharo11-Core and Grease-Pharo10-Core).
|
| Cheers
| Philippe

Re: Grease on Pharo 2.0

Dale Henrichs
>From a configuration perspective it will be simpler if I don't have to specify the package for 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 ... just specifying for 1.x is much simpler and BlockContext _exists_ in the 1.x line of Pharo images, whether or not they are loaded ... so sticking with Grease-Pharo1x-Core would still make sense ...

And then there is tomorrow or the day after tomorrow when the Pharo2.x line radically departs from Pharo1.x ... the Grease-Pharo1x-Core will give us a ready made package for pushing those changes into and at that point we'll create GreasePharo2x-Core ...

Dale

| On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>
| wrote:
| > This morning we got a request to get Grease ported to Pharo2.0 ...
| >
| > The issue is that the class BlockContext is not present in
| > Pharo2.0.
| >
| > So we have a packaging decision to make and we have several
| >
| >  1. rename Grease-Pharo-Core to Grease-Pharo20-Core for Pharo2.0
| >  2. fork Grease-Pharo-Core for Pharo2.0 creating
| >  Grease-Pharo-Core.pharo20
| >  3. move the BlockContext methods from Grease-Pharo_Core to
| >     Grease-Pharo1x-Core ... no need for a GreasePharo2x-Core
| >     package yet.
| >  4. other alternatives?
|
| BlockContext is only really needed in 1.2 and older, right? 1.3+ with
| Cog don't need it, right? If so I would create a Grease-Pharo12-Core
| (like we have Grease-Pharo11-Core and Grease-Pharo10-Core).
|
| Cheers
| Philippe

Re: Grease on Pharo 2.0

Dale Henrichs
The tests all pass after removing the BlockContext dependencies ... I'm excluding slime from Pharo2.0 until Refactoring-Core is ported...

Dale

| This morning we got a request to get Grease ported to Pharo2.0 ...
|
| The issue is that the class BlockContext is not present in Pharo2.0.
|
| So we have a packaging decision to make and we have several options:
|
|   1. rename Grease-Pharo-Core to Grease-Pharo20-Core for Pharo2.0
|   2. fork Grease-Pharo-Core for Pharo2.0 creating
|   Grease-Pharo-Core.pharo20
|   3. move the BlockContext methods from Grease-Pharo_Core to
|      Grease-Pharo1x-Core ... no need for a GreasePharo2x-Core
|      package yet.
|   4. other alternatives?
|
| For now I will proceed with option 3 just to find out if there are
| any other 2.0 related issues, but I won't commit any public packages
| until you guys let me know what your decision is ...
|
| Dale

Re: Grease on Pharo 2.0

Philippe Marschall
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've got a fair number of Pharo1.3 images that predate the cog switch. Pharo1.4 has been cog only from the start, so it probably should be Grease-Pharo13-Core to be safe.

Fine with me.

Cheers
Philippe