Grease tests for subStrings

Johan Brichau-2
Hi,

First step to release a new version of Seaside, is to release the development version of Grease.
Working on that, I notice:

With Pharo 6, the method #subStrings: was renamed to #substrings:

However, there is a test in Grease-Tests-Core that verifies the behavior of #subStrings:

If I change that test to use #substrings:, it means Grease expects all dialects to implement a #substrings: method.

My idea is that:
- either the dialect indeed implements that method
- Grease-specific dialect packages implement it when necessary

Philippe, I notice you already factored-out any sends of those methods in the dev version of Seaside.
Does it make sense to keep the test in such a case?

Opinions?

Johan

Re: Grease tests for subStrings

Max Leske

> On 25 May 2017, at 12:08, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> First step to release a new version of Seaside, is to release the development version of Grease.

Great! Let me know if I can help.

> Working on that, I notice:
>
> With Pharo 6, the method #subStrings: was renamed to #substrings:
>
> However, there is a test in Grease-Tests-Core that verifies the behavior of #subStrings:
>
> If I change that test to use #substrings:, it means Grease expects all dialects to implement a #substrings: method.
>
> My idea is that:
> - either the dialect indeed implements that method
> - Grease-specific dialect packages implement it when necessary

Sounds right to me.

> Philippe, I notice you already factored-out any sends of those methods in the dev version of Seaside.
> Does it make sense to keep the test in such a case?
>
> Opinions?
>
> Johan

Re: Grease tests for subStrings

Philippe Marschall
On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First step to release a new version of Seaside, is to release the development version of Grease.
> Working on that, I notice:
>
> With Pharo 6, the method #subStrings: was renamed to #substrings:
>
> However, there is a test in Grease-Tests-Core that verifies the behavior of #subStrings:
>
> If I change that test to use #substrings:, it means Grease expects all dialects to implement a #substrings: method.
>
> My idea is that:
> - either the dialect indeed implements that method
> - Grease-specific dialect packages implement it when necessary
>
> Philippe, I notice you already factored-out any sends of those methods in the dev version of Seaside.
> Does it make sense to keep the test in such a case?

Not really:
https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/issues/844
It was left in there because it's a test for an ANSI method but if we
don't send it a test doesn't make sense.

Cheers
Philippe