GsDevKit_home - Ubuntu LTS 20.04 support (i386 libraries)

GsDevKit_home - Ubuntu LTS 20.04 support (i386 libraries)

GLASS mailing list
So, LTS20.04 has reached my coomputers and we are preparing us for supporting this OS. So my main question is: GsDevKit_home is not running on that OS version ? Ay ideas when it would be available and especially onsidering the vanishing i386 support.

Marten

Re: GsDevKit_home - Ubuntu LTS 20.04 support (i386 libraries)

GLASS mailing list

Marten,

I haven't had the time to work to work on moving GsdevKit_home to 20.04. I asked for help in getting eliminating the reliance on 32 bit pharo some months ago and did not get very much interest, so no progress has been made there.

GsDevKit_home_is_ an open source project and I have been very responsive to pull requests, so if you can test GsDevKit_home on 20.04 and at the very least open bug reorts[1], that would be helpful. Even better would be to submit a PR with fixes for those issues...

I don't ignore GsDevKit_home, as I spent a fair amount of time in the last week[2] adding support for running the new Selenium-based Seaside tests in travis, but I have other work that needs to be done against a schedule.

I want to point out the fact that GsDevkit_home works on Debian, Centos, and 18.04, because other developers[2] contributed the necessary changes.

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/issues/new/choose
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/bin/utils/installOsPrereqs

On 7/9/20 6:44 AM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass wrote:
So, LTS20.04 has reached my coomputers and we are preparing us for supporting this OS. So my main question is: GsDevKit_home is not running on that OS version ? Ay ideas when it would be available and especially onsidering the vanishing i386 support.

Marten

Re: GsDevKit_home - Ubuntu LTS 20.04 support (i386 libraries)

GLASS mailing list

I guess I should also point out that currently we do not currently support GemStone on 20.04[1]. GemStone will likely run on "unsupported platforms", but until we have actually tested a release on a platform, we do not support it.

You can see that via travis-ci[2], a number of older GemStone releases are being tested on 16.04 and internally we do run GsDevKit_home tests prior to release on the latest supported linux platform (currently 18.04).

So unless someone else beats me to it (via PR), I will eventually get around to adding 20.04 support to GsDevKit_home.

Dale

[1] https://gemtalksystems.com/products/gs64/compatibility/
[2] https://travis-ci.org/github/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home
On 7/9/20 8:10 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

[...]

Hi Dale,

On jeu., juil. 9, 2020 at 10:13, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Something has to be made from our side?

Esteban

On Jul 9, 2020, at 10:13 AM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

GemStone will likely run on "unsupported platforms", but until we have actually tested a release on a platform, we do not support it.

As Dale said, GemStone usually runs on later “unsupported platforms” but Ubuntu LTS 20.04 is actually an exception. It turns out that a change to mmap() (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1233973/what-happened-to-mmap-in-20-04) breaks GemStone and so you should not expect it to work. A fix is in GemStone/S 64 Bit 3.5.3 (but I don’t have a release date for it).

James

On 7/9/20 12:13 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
[...]

If you want to install GsDevKit_home on 20.04, before I have time to create a local vm with 20.04 (I do not have a 20.04 machine available) and run tests, then yes you would need to update the installOsPrereqs file that includes (at a minimum) adding 20.04 to this line[2] and then testing it to make sure that the prereqs (which includes 32 bit library support for Pharo3.0) are installed without errors and then creating a stone and todeClient to verify that there are no other issues ... historically, that is all that is needed, but occasionally a larger issue pops up....

If you do the work to update the installOsPrereqs file, then submitting a follow on PR, would save others from having to do the edits and testing...

If you are referring to working eliminating the reliance on 32 bit pharo, then I would refer you to this issue[3] and this GLASS list thread[4] (from October of last year).

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/bin/utils/installOsPrereqs
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/bin/utils/installOsPrereqs#L52
[3] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/issues/260
[4] http://forum.world.st/Issue-260-eliminate-reliance-on-32-bit-devKitCommanLine-image-call-for-volunteers-tt5105781.html

Esteban

[...]

Ok, the recognition of Ubunti 20.04 can easily be fixed (#290), but after that the Pharo client complains, that some low level libraries are missing (#291)- the library libssl.so.1.0.0 is missing on my Ubuntu 20.04 server

Re: GsDevKit_home - Ubuntu LTS 20.04 support (i386 libraries)

GLASS mailing list

Marten,

Thanks for pioneering the effort on 20.0.4.

As I mention in my comment to #291[1], it looks like 20.04 has limited support for 32 bit libraries[2]. The post is short on specific details, so I don't know which libraries are missing, however, I'm going to guess that that the missing library could be related to libssl1.0.0[3] as I'm pretty sure that that library is used by Pharo3.0.

I would have expected an error during the install if that library wasn't present ... but it would be useful to see what happens on 20.04 with an explicit download:

sudo apt-get -y update
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get -y install libssl1.0.0:i386

If the libssl1.0.0 libraries are installed, then we'll have to dig a bit deeper to understand why Pharo3.0 is having ssl library troubles.

Copy the output of those commands to issue #291[1] and I invite anyone else with access to 20.04 to participate in resolving the problem.

As I've mentioned earlier I'm working against a deadline and don't have the time to take this on myself, so we'll need a group effort to solve this particular problem.

Further discussions should take place on issue #291[1] and if you have cycles to help, please drop a note on that issue so that we know what resources are available ...

Dale

On 7/11/20 7:41 AM, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
Ok, the recognition of Ubunti 20.04 can easily be fixed (#290), but after that the Pharo client complains, that some low level libraries are missing (#291)- the library libssl.so.1.0.0 is missing on my Ubuntu 20.04 server

Re: GsDevKit_home - Ubuntu LTS 20.04 support (i386 libraries)

GLASS mailing list
gessdev@dev2:~$ sudo apt-get -y install libssl1.0.0:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libssl1.0.0:i386 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
E: Package 'libssl1.0.0:i386' has no installation candidate

Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> hat am 11. Juli 2020 um 19:03 geschrieben:

[...]

In reference to my last message:
As a reference to that problem:

Installation of the following is possible:

sudo apt-get -y install libssl1.1:i386

but it produces on the Pharo side the same error, because it expects to load libssl1.0.0:i386

Marten Feldtmann via Glass <[hidden email]> hat am 11. Juli 2020 um 19:14 geschrieben:

[...]

Hi Marten,

OpenSSL 1.0.x is fairly out of date. OpenSSL 1.1.0 was released almost four years ago, so it's not surprising that newer Linux distros don't include 1.0.x.

However, recent Pharo VMs include libssl.so.1.0.0 within their lib directory. If you're using a version of the Pharo VM too old to include that, you might be able to copy that library from a newer Pharo VM.

Also note that the shell script that Pharo uses to launch a VM manipulates LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the VM can find its plugins -- I don't know whether Pharo depends on LD_LIBRARY_PATH to find libssl.so.1.0.0.

Regards,
-Martin

On 7/11/20 7:41 AM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass wrote:
Ok, the recognition of Ubunti 20.04 can easily be fixed (#290), but after that the Pharo client complains, that some low level libraries are missing (#291)- the library libssl.so.1.0.0 is missing on my Ubuntu 20.04 server

Re: GsDevKit_home - Ubuntu LTS 20.04 support (i386 libraries)

GLASS mailing list

Martin,

The issue is that Pharo3.0 is dependent upon libssl1.0.0 and GsDevKit_home is dependent upon Pharo3.0 ... replacing the use of Pharo3.0 is not a simple job ... Fortunately, it seems that Marten has found a way to install libssl1.0.0 on 20.24[1] ... but SmalltalkHub has been down for a day and is now preventing Marten from doing any further validation, but it looks like at this point the libssl1.0.0 issue is behind us.

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/issues/291#issuecomment-657113464

On 7/11/20 12:08 PM, Martin McClure wrote:

[...]

Ok, but as I understand the posting of James, Gemstone/S will not run (or might have problems) under LTS 20.04 until Gemstone/S 3.5.3 come out to fix that.

Marten
Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> hat am 11. Juli 2020 um 21:40 geschrieben: