GsDevKit_home release - bugfixes and improved upgradeStone

GsDevKit_home release - bugfixes and improved upgradeStone

GLASS mailing list
Significant new support for doing upgrades with the
$GS_HOME/bin/upgradeStone. In a nutshell, the upgradeStone now handles
post upgrade conversion tasks[3], like recompiling sort blocks when
upgrading to 3.3.x from earlier versions; resorting SortedCollections
and rebuilding indexes when upgrading from pre-Unicode support releases
like 2.4.x or 3.1.x to 3.2.x or 3.3.x.

The post upgrade tasks are implemented using tODE scripts, which means
that extending/modifying the upgrade tasks is possible on a stone by
stone basis.

Please read the doc "Upgrading stones with $GS_HOME/bin/upgradeStone"[2]
for more information.

If you _are_ planning on upgrading to 3.3.x, I suggest that you wait
until 3.3.1 is released (schedule for the next couple of weeks) as we've
also made product changes that make upgrading from 3.2.x to 3.3.1 and
beyond much simpler.

In addition to the upgradeStone improvements, the following
GsDevKit_home bugs have been fixed:

   Issue #123: newExtent should maybe offer a confirm
   Issue #120: Use https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com in
$GS_HOME/bin/downloadGemStone
   Issue #116: extraneous space at end of netldi log file name
(netldi.log not netldi.log)
   Issue #115: createClient fails on windows for 3.3.0
   Issue #114: ftp.gemstone.com is unreliable (or perhaps down for good)
   Issue #113: _todeClient bin/template/updateClient doesn't properly
update prefix images (-p option)
   Issue #112: Update upgradeStone script to correctly handle upgrades
to 3.3.0, 3.3.1 and beyond
   Issue #111: $GEMSTONE/bin/upgradeImage script not being used for upgrades
   Issue #88: Add Seaside upgrade formula to upgradeStone and
upgradeSeasideStone
   Issue #70: $GEMSTONE/bin/postconv should be runnable from within
$GS_HOME/bin/upgradeStone
   Issue #67: upgradeStone gives a aGsMethodDictionary in
objectSecurityPolicyId 1 with insufficient authorization

See the pull request[1] for complete details.

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/pull/124
[2]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/upgradeStone.md#upgrading-stones-with-gs_homebinupgradestone
[3]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/upgradeStone.md#run-devkitcommandline-postupgradestone-command

Re: GsDevKit_home release - bugfixes and improved upgradeStone

GLASS mailing list
Forgot to provide update instructions:

Update Script for Client

   $GS_HOME/bin/updateGsDevKit -gtc      # update GsDevKit_home, tODE
repository, and tODE clients

Update Script for Server

   $GS_HOME/bin/updateGsDevKit -gtd     # update GsDevKit_home, tODE
repository, and devKitCommandLine image
   $GS_HOME/bin/todeUpdate <stone-name> # to update tODE in your stones

Update Script for Client/Server

   $GS_HOME/bin/updateGsDevKit -gtd     # update GsDevKit_home, tODE
repository, tODE clients, and devKitCommandLine image