GsStackBuffer

GLASS mailing list
Hi -

Prior to the full backup and restore I just ran instances of GsStackBuffer occupied 70% of the space in my 3.2.4 repository.  After the full backup and restore its not really in the stone to speak of.  Searches for it in the sys admin guide and the programming guide come up empty.  If I search for references to the class in the stone the list is also empty.

What is it used for and how can I get rid of instances of it without going through the full backup & restore repository compaction routine?

Thanks

Paul

Re: GsStackBuffer

Paul DeBruicker
I had a bug in a loop that was saving a continuation to the ObjectLog each time it hit to debug it later, and the GsStackBuffers are part of what is saved.

Fixing my bug has stopped the accumulation of the instances of the GsStackBuffer

GLASS mailing list wrote
Hi -

Prior to the full backup and restore I just ran instances of GsStackBuffer occupied 70% of the space in my 3.2.4 repository.  After the full backup and restore its not really in the stone to speak of.  Searches for it in the sys admin guide and the programming guide come up empty.  If I search for references to the class in the stone the list is also empty.

What is it used for and how can I get rid of instances of it without going through the full backup & restore repository compaction routine?

Thanks

Paul

Re: GsStackBuffer

GLASS mailing list
Here's the reply form engineering:
> Instances of GsStackBuffer are used to store the Smalltalk stack frames
> when a GsProcess is moved out of interpreter stack memory and into object
> memory.  So a continuation or other committed GsProcess will reference
> an instance of GsStackBuffer  and the GsStackBuffer will probably be
> much larger
> than the instance of GsProcess .I would think an MFC would get rid of
> them if you then allow reclaim to finish
> (SystemRepository markForCollection ; reclaimAll ) .
Dale