GsoC - Nautilus Hazelnut

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Project name : Nautilus
Level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced) : Intermediate
Possible Mentor : Stephane Ducasse ?

Description : Nautilus is a new browser based on the latests system meta model tools like RPackage or Ring. The goal is to ensure this browser has the stability and all the features required to become the next standard browser.
Technical Details : Nautilus may be improved on different levels: fixing last bugs, improve the way the UI widget are defined to be able to easily change the UI representation, create some plugins for metrics, better traits integration, better icons. Morphic may have to be improved
Benefits to the Student : The student will learn and use the latests infrastructure tools, the different Morphic's layers. He will also participate to a tool which is used and will be.
Benefits to the Community : The community will gain a more stable and up to date default browser.

Project name : Hazelnut
Level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced) : Advanced
Possible Mentor : Stephane Ducasse ?

Description : Hazelnut is part of the Seed project which goal is to bootstrap the system.
Technical Details : Ensure the validity of the created kernel and also improved the serialization mechanism. The goal is to clarify and ensure a creation mechanism which can be applied to a dynamically generated kernel or to a statically describe kernel as well.
Benefits to the Student : Deep understanding of the system layouts, of the kernel definition, of the meta model and the reflexivity of the system. The student will also learn the object format and the basic of the VM use.
Benefits to the Community : The community will gain a way to bootstrap a new fresh kernel from an existing image or from a kernel description. It could also be used to generate minimal kernel used for embedded technology.

Ben

Re: GsoC - Nautilus Hazelnut

Igor Stasenko
On 9 March 2012 15:48, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Project name                                                    : Nautilus
> Level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)        : Intermediate
> Possible Mentor                                                 : Stephane Ducasse ?
>
> Description                                                             : Nautilus is a new browser based on the latests system meta model tools like RPackage or Ring. The goal is to ensure this browser has the stability and all the features required to become the next standard browser.
> Technical Details                                               : Nautilus may be improved on different levels: fixing last bugs, improve the way the UI widget are defined to be able to easily change the UI representation, create some plugins for metrics, better traits integration, better icons. Morphic may have to be improved
> Benefits to the Student                                 : The student will learn and use the latests infrastructure tools, the different Morphic's layers. He will also participate to a tool which is used and will be.
> Benefits to the Community                               : The community will gain a more stable and up to date default browser.
>

> Project name                                                    : Hazelnut
> Level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)        : Advanced
> Possible Mentor                                                 : Stephane Ducasse ?
>
> Description                                                             : Hazelnut is part of the Seed project which goal is to bootstrap the system.
> Technical Details                                               : Ensure the validity of the created kernel and also improved the serialization mechanism. The goal is to clarify and ensure a creation mechanism which can be applied to a dynamically generated kernel or to a statically describe kernel as well.
> Benefits to the Student                                 : Deep understanding of the system layouts, of the kernel definition, of the meta model and the reflexivity of the system. The student will also learn the object format and the basic of the VM use.
> Benefits to the Community                               : The community will gain a way to bootstrap a new fresh kernel from an existing image or from a kernel description. It could also be used to generate minimal kernel used for embedded technology.
>

> Ben

i would put Hazelnut to Intermediate level. It is not that complex :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: GsoC - Nautilus Hazelnut

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/9/12 11:48 AM, "Benjamin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Project name        : Hazelnut
> Level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced) : Advanced
> Possible Mentor       : Stephane Ducasse ?
>
> Description        : Hazelnut is part of the Seed project which goal is to
> bootstrap the system.
> Technical Details      : Ensure the validity of the created kernel and also
> improved the serialization mechanism. The goal is to clarify and ensure a
> creation mechanism which can be applied to a dynamically generated kernel or
> to a statically describe kernel as well.
> Benefits to the Student     : Deep understanding of the system layouts, of the
> kernel definition, of the meta model and the reflexivity of the system. The
> student will also learn the object format and the basic of the VM use.
> Benefits to the Community    : The community will gain a way to bootstrap a
> new fresh kernel from an existing image or from a kernel description. It could
> also be used to generate minimal kernel used for embedded technology.

I start to play with Seed a week ago and have experience with reduced
images.

Like to be involved with this project in any place you let me.

Edgar

Re: GsoC - Nautilus Hazelnut

Carla F. Griggio
Hi guys!
So... who want's to mentor these projects? :)

Cheers,
Carla.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 3/9/12 11:48 AM, "Benjamin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Project name        : Hazelnut
> Level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced) : Advanced
> Possible Mentor       : Stephane Ducasse ?
>
> Description        : Hazelnut is part of the Seed project which goal is to
> bootstrap the system.
> Technical Details      : Ensure the validity of the created kernel and also
> improved the serialization mechanism. The goal is to clarify and ensure a
> creation mechanism which can be applied to a dynamically generated kernel or
> to a statically describe kernel as well.
> Benefits to the Student     : Deep understanding of the system layouts, of the
> kernel definition, of the meta model and the reflexivity of the system. The
> student will also learn the object format and the basic of the VM use.
> Benefits to the Community    : The community will gain a way to bootstrap a
> new fresh kernel from an existing image or from a kernel description. It could
> also be used to generate minimal kernel used for embedded technology.

I start to play with Seed a week ago and have experience with reduced
images.

Like to be involved with this project in any place you let me.

Edgar

Re: GsoC - Nautilus Hazelnut

Stéphane Ducasse
Me