HELP WANTED - Frameworks, tools, etc. ready to use

HELP WANTED - Frameworks, tools, etc. ready to use

EstebanLM
Hi,

I want to add a “resources” page in pharo.org.
The reason is simple: we are used to know (more or less) what we have, but people doing a search of what is pharo, etc. does not know what they can have *just downloading it*.
I made a mall list.
I need you to help me to complete it.

Keep in mind this is high level stuff (not details), frameworks and tools that can be used out of the box for people downloading Pharo.

thanks!
Esteban

Full library including: Collections, Caches, Networking, I/O, Threads (Green), Sockets...

Development Tools
=================
- GTInspector
- GTPlayground
- GTSpotter
- Nautilus
- Debugger
- TestRunner
- Versionner
- Code Critics
- Refactoring Tools
- Profilers

Development
===========

Frameworks
----------
- Announcements
- Regex
- Keymapping
- Multilingual (Latin, UTF8, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, japanese, Greek, ...)
- Command Line

Testing
-------
- SUnit

GUI
---
- OSWindow
- Glamour
- Spec
- Morphic (With full widget set and Rubric, TxText)

Graphics
--------
- Athens
- Balloon
- Graphics
- Fonts (FreeType)

FFI
---
- NativeBoost

Networking
----------
- Zinc/Zodiac

I/O
---
- FileSystem
- Compression (Zip, GZip)

Serializer
----------
- Fuel

Crypt
-----
- CRC, DSA, MD5, SHA1, SHA256, Adler32

JIT
---
- AsmJit

SCM
---
- Gofer
- Monticello
- Metacello

Tutorial
========
- ProfStef

Re: HELP WANTED - Frameworks, tools, etc. ready to use

hernanmd
You didn't specified which Pharo version.

And you didn't provided even a minimal description... for an outsider Monticello and Metacello sounds almost the same, same with GTPlayground and GTSpotter, etc.

Cheers,

Hernán

On 16 Apr 2015, at 16:32, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

You didn't specified which Pharo version.

And you didn't provided even a minimal description... for an outsider Monticello and Metacello sounds almost the same, same with GTPlayground and GTSpotter, etc.

this is for *you* to help me, not the final web page.

Cheers,

Hernán

[...]

abergel
Hi Esteban,

This is an excellent initiative!
I have checked the pharo.org website, and it looks like that we should list the catalog of applications.
Which cool application users can use with Pharo?

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Apr 16, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Nicolai Hess

I want to add a “resources” page in pharo.org.
The reason is simple: we are used to know (more or less) what we have, but people doing a search of what is pharo, etc. does not know what they can have *just downloading it*.
I made a mall list.
I need you to help me to complete it.

Keep in mind this is high level stuff (not details), frameworks and tools that can be used out of the box for people downloading Pharo.

thanks!
Esteban

Suggestions:

- I would move "Refactoring Tools"  to frameworks, or do we have a Refactoring Tool besides Code Critics and Nautilus refactoring support?
- Glamour is more a framework than a GUI library
- I would remove OSWindow it does not work "out of the box".
- there is a "Graphics" entry in category "Graphics", some hints what you would like to see for this entry?

Re: HELP WANTED - Frameworks, tools, etc. ready to use

Peter Uhnak
I remember seeing this post http://forum.world.st/Why-not-having-NeoCSV-and-NeoJSON-in-the-image-td4808420.html#a4809298 which seems relevant to this - having bundles of packages dedicated to certain task.
Reading CSV is a basic feature in R for reading data. Moose/ Roassal / GT combo should have that out of the box.
    Build an image with
        Roassal
        CSV
        JSON
        XML
        + some math packages

Peter

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ok about descriptions, but Pharo compatibility versions should be provided for each package, if not you would end with hundreds of packages not loadable in Pharo 4....and people then have to guess which is the right Pharo version for a package.

Your list is more or less the "core" packages already loaded by default in Pharo images.

Hernán

[...]

Hernan,

On 16 Apr 2015, at 16:48, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ok about descriptions, but Pharo compatibility versions should be provided for each package, if not you would end with hundreds of packages not loadable in Pharo 4....and people then have to guess which is the right Pharo version for a package.

as my mail says, this are the frameworks already in the image, not a list of cool stuff people can download, but the things are already there.
So in case of version, all versions are the same: 4.0

For downloaded packages there is already: http://catalog.pharo.org (which will be enhanced in the future, but is already there).

cheers,
Esteban

On 16 Apr 2015, at 16:44, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

I want to add a “resources” page in pharo.org.
The reason is simple: we are used to know (more or less) what we have, but people doing a search of what is pharo, etc. does not know what they can have *just downloading it*.
I made a mall list.
I need you to help me to complete it.

Keep in mind this is high level stuff (not details), frameworks and tools that can be used out of the box for people downloading Pharo.

thanks!
Esteban

Suggestions:

- I would move "Refactoring Tools"  to frameworks, or do we have a Refactoring Tool besides Code Critics and Nautilus refactoring support?
- Glamour is more a framework than a GUI library

ok, this two.

- I would remove OSWindow it does not work "out of the box”.

not quite. With SDL2 is very usable… it is rough, that’s true… but it works :)
(and stable vm come with sdl2 for all platforms, too)

- there is a "Graphics" entry in category "Graphics", some hints what you would like to see for this entry?

yeah… name not good. This is the old graphics library (the one we actually use to display the world), I don’t know how to call it… BitBlt graphics, perhaps?

Esteban

Re: HELP WANTED - Frameworks, tools, etc. ready to use

EstebanLM
and as is obviously not as clear as it should, let me rephrase what I’m asking for:

packages that are in the image and not in my list *and are interesting for end users* :)

cheers,
Esteban

On 16 Apr 2015, at 15:48, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

:)

(and stable vm come with sdl2 for all platforms, too)

- there is a "Graphics" entry in category "Graphics", some hints what you would like to see for this entry?

yeah… name not good. This is the old graphics library (the one we actually use to display the world), I don’t know how to call it… BitBlt graphics, perhaps?

"Canvas" or "Bitmap graphics"

Esteban