[HELP WANTED] Getting ready for Pharo 5.0 release (CentOS, oldLibC, Nix, ArchLinux, and others)

[HELP WANTED] Getting ready for Pharo 5.0 release (CentOS, oldLibC, Nix, ArchLinux, and others)

EstebanLM
Hi,

I’m trying to get ready the download page for Pharo 5.0… who should happen next monday :)
So, I create a download page:

http://pharo.org/download-50

and one for linux:

http://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation-50

For linux, I made

linux general
centos
oldLibC

but

1) I cannot test them
2) list is incomplete, we are still missing:
- ubuntu ppa
- Nix
- ArchLinux

Can responsables for those platforms take action and test/prepare packages?

thanks!

Esteban

Re: [HELP WANTED] Getting ready for Pharo 5.0 release (CentOS, oldLibC, Nix, ArchLinux, and others)

Damien Cassou-2
Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> writes:

> - ubuntu ppa

the ubuntu ppa package is Pharo 4 only as of now

> - Nix

in nix we have both pharo 4 and pharo 5 VMs. I use both everyday.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: [HELP WANTED] Getting ready for Pharo 5.0 release (CentOS, oldLibC, Nix, ArchLinux, and others)

EstebanLM

> On 27 Apr 2016, at 15:31, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> - ubuntu ppa
>
> the ubuntu ppa package is Pharo 4 only as of now

it shouldn’t :)

>> - Nix
>
> in nix we have both pharo 4 and pharo 5 VMs. I use both everyday.

cool :)

> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: [HELP WANTED] Getting ready for Pharo 5.0 release (CentOS, oldLibC, Nix, ArchLinux, and others)

philippe.back@highoctane.be

Will do the CentOS 6 thing.
And give a shot at CentOS 7. That one may take longer.

Phil

On Apr 27, 2016 3:26 PM, "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On 27 Apr 2016, at 16:15, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Will do the CentOS 6 thing.

I replicated the jobs that were creating centos vms (I think that’s for 6)… if you can try those, it would be cool :)

Esteban

[...]

vonbecmann
Hi Esteban,
     i found a problem with one of the packages, see below

** TODO This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521)
Operating System: Debian 7.10 x86_64

- unzip Pharo5.0-linux-oldLibC.zip
- cd pharo5.0
- ./pharo

Actual Message:
This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521).
Press CR to quit...^C

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Bernardo E.C.

Sent from a cheap desktop computer in South America.

Re: [HELP WANTED] Getting ready for Pharo 5.0 release (CentOS, oldLibC, Nix, ArchLinux, and others)

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 30/04/16 23:13, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras wrote:
> Hi Esteban,
>       i found a problem with one of the packages, see below
>
> ** TODO This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521)

So you have a non-spur vm there. You need a spur one

Stephan

Re: [HELP WANTED] Getting ready for Pharo 5.0 release (CentOS, oldLibC, Nix, ArchLinux, and others)

EstebanLM

> On 01 May 2016, at 10:59, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 30/04/16 23:13, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras wrote:
>> Hi Esteban,
>>      i found a problem with one of the packages, see below
>>
>> ** TODO This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521)
>
> So you have a non-spur vm there. You need a spur one

yes, but Pharo5.0-linux-oldLibC.zip should download a spur vm… I need to review that :)

Esteban

> Stephan

Re: [HELP WANTED] Getting ready for Pharo 5.0 release (CentOS, oldLibC, Nix, ArchLinux, and others)

vonbecmann
Hi  Esteban,
    I tried again and it doesn't work. :(
    But now i found another issue, if you take a look to pharo5.0/shared folder you will see the file PharoV40.sources (wrong version for this release)

thanks

--
Bernardo E.C.

Sent from a cheap desktop computer in South America.

Re: [HELP WANTED] Getting ready for Pharo 5.0 release (CentOS, oldLibC, Nix, ArchLinux, and others)

Ben Coman
On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 7:12 AM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi  Esteban,
>     I tried again and it doesn't work. :(
>     But now i found another issue, if you take a look to pharo5.0/shared
> folder you will see the file PharoV40.sources (wrong version for this
> release)

This is the correct sources for Pharo5-*beta*.  It doesn't become
PharoV50.sources until the changes file is compacted for actual
*release*.   However I understand the confusion.  I think this naming
is based off the Squeak workflow, where IIUC they just work in, for
example 4.5, and don't call it 4.6 until just weeks before release.
But we've called it Pharo 5 (beta) for 12 months.

I have thought a few times myself that maybe for Pharo 6 we could have
PharoV60dev.sources and later PharoV60.sources.

cheers -ben

> thanks
>
> On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 7:13 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > So you have a non-spur vm there. You need a spur one
>>
>> yes, but Pharo5.0-linux-oldLibC.zip should download a spur vm… I need to
>> review that :)
>>
>> Esteban
>>

>> > Stephan
>> >

> --
> Bernardo E.C.
>
> Sent from a cheap desktop computer in South America.

Re: [HELP WANTED] Getting ready for Pharo 5.0 release (CentOS, oldLibC, Nix, ArchLinux, and others)

vonbecmann
Ben,
  This thread mail subject is Pharo 5.0 release (there is no beta), and even if you are right
please take a look at http://files.pharo.org/sources/, there's a PharoV50.sources.
   And also if you try to open a Pharo5.0.image , it will ask for the file PharoV50.sources.

thanks

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi  Esteban,
>     I tried again and it doesn't work. :(
>     But now i found another issue, if you take a look to pharo5.0/shared
> folder you will see the file PharoV40.sources (wrong version for this
> release)

This is the correct sources for Pharo5-*beta*.  It doesn't become
PharoV50.sources until the changes file is compacted for actual
*release*.   However I understand the confusion.  I think this naming
is based off the Squeak workflow, where IIUC they just work in, for
example 4.5, and don't call it 4.6 until just weeks before release.
But we've called it Pharo 5 (beta) for 12 months.

I have thought a few times myself that maybe for Pharo 6 we could have
PharoV60dev.sources and later PharoV60.sources.

cheers -ben

> thanks
>
> On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 7:13 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > So you have a non-spur vm there. You need a spur one
>>
>> yes, but Pharo5.0-linux-oldLibC.zip should download a spur vm… I need to
>> review that :)
>>
>> Esteban
>>

>> > Stephan
>> >

> --
> Bernardo E.C.
>
> Sent from a cheap desktop computer in South America.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Sent from a cheap desktop computer in South America.

Re: [HELP WANTED] Getting ready for Pharo 5.0 release (CentOS, oldLibC, Nix, ArchLinux, and others)

Ben Coman
Thanks for the heads up.  The past few releases had some notice when
the changes file was being condensed.
cheers -ben

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ben,
>   This thread mail subject is Pharo 5.0 release (there is no beta), and even
> if you are right
> please take a look at http://files.pharo.org/sources/, there's a
> PharoV50.sources.
>    And also if you try to open a Pharo5.0.image , it will ask for the file
> PharoV50.sources.
>
> thanks
>
> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 6:04 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 7:12 AM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi  Esteban,
>> >     I tried again and it doesn't work. :(
>> >     But now i found another issue, if you take a look to pharo5.0/shared
>> > folder you will see the file PharoV40.sources (wrong version for this
>> > release)
>>
>> This is the correct sources for Pharo5-*beta*.  It doesn't become
>> PharoV50.sources until the changes file is compacted for actual
>> *release*.   However I understand the confusion.  I think this naming
>> is based off the Squeak workflow, where IIUC they just work in, for
>> example 4.5, and don't call it 4.6 until just weeks before release.
>> But we've called it Pharo 5 (beta) for 12 months.
>>
>> I have thought a few times myself that maybe for Pharo 6 we could have
>> PharoV60dev.sources and later PharoV60.sources.
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>

>> > thanks

>> > --
>> > Bernardo E.C.
>> >
>> > Sent from a cheap desktop computer in South America.
>>

> --
> Bernardo E.C.
>
> Sent from a cheap desktop computer in South America.

Re: [HELP WANTED] Getting ready for Pharo 5.0 release (CentOS, oldLibC, Nix, ArchLinux, and others)

Marcus Denker-4
yes, we forgot… I will send a note.

> On 06 May 2016, at 00:44, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the heads up.  The past few releases had some notice when
> the changes file was being condensed.
> cheers -ben
>
> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ben,
>>  This thread mail subject is Pharo 5.0 release (there is no beta), and even
>> if you are right
>> please take a look at http://files.pharo.org/sources/, there's a
>> PharoV50.sources.
>>   And also if you try to open a Pharo5.0.image , it will ask for the file
>> PharoV50.sources.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 6:04 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> This is the correct sources for Pharo5-*beta*.  It doesn't become
>>> PharoV50.sources until the changes file is compacted for actual
>>> *release*.   However I understand the confusion.  I think this naming
>>> is based off the Squeak workflow, where IIUC they just work in, for
>>> example 4.5, and don't call it 4.6 until just weeks before release.
>>> But we've called it Pharo 5 (beta) for 12 months.
>>>
>>> I have thought a few times myself that maybe for Pharo 6 we could have
>>> PharoV60dev.sources and later PharoV60.sources.
>>>
>>> cheers -ben

>> --
>> Bernardo E.C.
>>
>> Sent from a cheap desktop computer in South America.

Sent from a cheap desktop computer in South America.

Re: [HELP WANTED] Getting ready for Pharo 5.0 release (CentOS, oldLibC, Nix, ArchLinux, and others)

EstebanLM

On 13 May 2016, at 17:32, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> wrote:

yes we know.
but this is a vm problem, not an image one.

we will provide a centos vm as soon as we find a bit of time.

Esteban

[...]

btw can you test it?
I might have fixed it yesterday :P

On 13 May 2016, at 17:49, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

i can test it on debian 7.10 x86_64, and by testing i mean follow the "steps to reproduce" that i mentioned.

when you mention "test it", what does it mean? (running all the tests in the image??),
how do you test the vm?