HTML Mail Designer for use in Smalltalk application

HTML Mail Designer for use in Smalltalk application

jtuchel
Hi,

please excuse my posting to this list although my question is very
generic and not very closely related to Smalltalk. But since here are a
few people around who use Seaside and related web technologies in
Smalltalk, I thought this question may be of interest to the group.

Our web application (Seaside based, to at least justify my abuse of this
group a tiny bit) sends out mails to registered users at certain events.
We currently have some HTML-Strings that are concatenated into mail
messages, by simply streaming the headers, an empty line and the html
contents of a mail message. Of course we fill in individual information
like the name of the recipient, amounts etc. individually for our mail
recipients.

I am looking for an application that allows to me visually design such
an HTML (and alternative text) message and export the result as a simple
ASCII file that can be used to

1. Use a simple text editor (or workspace) to add variables (like %1, %2
etc. for bindWith:with: etc, or Mustache or whatever)

2. Read from a FileStream and fill in the variables and concatenate the
ready made message into a String that can be sent out via SMTP

I've tried MailDesigner Pro on Mac, but this doesn't embed pictures
inline into the exported file. It puts images onto some cloud location
and adds links to them. This is not what I have in mind. I want the
images to be inline in the message as attachment.

I hope I've described exactly enough what I need and that you guys have
any tips what I could use. I don't care if it runs on Windows, Mac or
Linux, and it can be a reasonably priced commercial product if it does
what I need.

Maybe you don't have an answer but have an idea where I could ask.

Thanks,

Joachim

Re: HTML Mail Designer for use in Smalltalk application

Maarten Mostert
Hi,

I Use MailStyler its Windows only but does a good job in virtual box.

Enclosed is the method I use to crypt the link and how I replace text under buttons and in the text.

Notice that I request the original document from my server which is easier to get things compliant.

Hope this helps,

This AppeX and VW of course  (what else).

Maarten MOSTERT

28 Av Alphonse Denis
83400 Hyères, France
+33 676411296

sendRequestSignUpMail: aNewUser license: aConf languages: langSTR

| aMessage smtpClient stream bos aByteArray cryptedMail httpClient request response messContents aLinkAccept aName byMailChimp |
stream := WriteStream on: ByteArray new.
bos := BinaryObjectStorage onNew: stream.
bos nextPut: aNewUser email.
bos nextPut: aNewUser passwd.
bos nextPut: Date today.
bos close.
aByteArray := stream contents.
cryptedMail := Crypter new cryptEmail: aByteArray.
DeploymentOptionsSystem isRuntime
ifTrue:
[aLinkAccept := 'http://159.8.120.108/Interpret/confirm' , cryptedMail]
ifFalse:
[aLinkAccept := 'http://localhost:8889/Interpret/confirm' , cryptedMail].
httpClient := Net.HttpClient new.
httpClient timeout: 2000.
request := Net.HttpRequest
response := [httpClient executeRequest: request] on: Error
do: [:exc | Transcript show: 'You missed it !'].

response
ifNotNil:
[messContents := response value byteSource contents asByteString.
messContents := messContents copyReplaceAll: 'text/html; charset=utf-8'
with: 'utf-8'.
aNewUser firstName
ifNil:
[aNewUser lastName
ifNil: [aName := 'Interpreter,']
ifNotNil: [aName := 'Mr/MS ' , aNewUser lastName]]
ifNotNil: [aName := aNewUser firstName].
messContents := messContents copyReplaceAll: 'XXXXXX' with: aName.
messContents := messContents copyReplaceAll: 'http://confirmsigningup'
with: aLinkAccept.
messContents := messContents copyReplaceAll: 'YYYYYYYYYYYY'
with: aNewUser email.
aMessage := Net.MailMessage newTextHTML.
aMessage contents: messContents.

aMessage to: aNewUser email.
aMessage cc: (List with: '[hidden email]').
aMessage from: '"HeadVox" <[hidden email]>'.
aMessage
subject: 'HeadVox Sign-Up Confirmation'.

Le 11 oct. 2016 à 16:15, [hidden email] a écrit :

[...]

Hi Maarten,

thanks a lot for your answer and code sample.
It helped in several aspects:

  • it shows me my idea is not too exotic and others are doing the same thing that I want to do (so far, the html mails were hand written and therefor, uhm, ugly)
  • the way you do it seems to be the same thing I had in mind, but your idea of storing the templates outside of the image is excellent for updates, especially using http requests rather than file access
  • I was thinking in ways of "Edit in WYSIWYG program, export, hand-edit to add insertion points", but of course I can also user the editor to add text that is unique enough to find and replace it with simple copyReplace:..., like your XXXX etc.
  • I gave MailDesigner Pro a second look and dove deeper into its HTML export feature and results of it. It even has a nice feature of adding a url-prefix for img-tags, so that we can upload the images to some web server and use that url as a prefix to acces all the images in the mail. I think this is our way to go. (MailStyler and Mail Designer look as if they are extremely similar - but on separate OSes)
  • Your way of replacing the URL for the confirmation link based on test/production environment was another good inspiration for me
So your message was very valuable for me, there was so much more in it for me than you might imagine ;-)

Thanks a lot!

Joachim