HTML parser (again)

12

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: HTML parser (again)

Tudor Girba
That would be really great. As I mentioned before, I am using the
CogVM since its release and it is pretty stable (with the exception of
crashes due to this socket problem).

Is there a place to report possible bugs related to it, or is this
mailing list the most appropriate place?

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Aug 2010, at 01:26, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I will try to push a CogVM for the mac this weekend, Eliot and I are
> planing some time then to get this out the door.
>
> On 2010-08-18, at 2:05 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> no CogVM is not ready for us.
>>

> --
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
> squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =

www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: HTML parser (again)

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
That would be really great. As I mentioned before, I am using the CogVM since its release and it is pretty stable (with the exception of crashes due to this socket problem).

The socket problem was fixed by henrik.

Is there a place to report possible bugs related to it, or is this mailing list the most appropriate place?

Eliot said <[hidden email]> was better

On 2010-08-18, at 2:05 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:

no CogVM is not ready for us.

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: HTML parser (again)

The problem is how do you control because people published code that I do not like in my breakout project for example.
I think that the idea of inbox and community contributors is the way to go, this is open and you can control.

In any case as a community we will have to work to identify packages that are of interest.

I also suggest that we put two forges in the future one call "sandbox" where students can publish their trials and exercises
and one where the more consequent project are

Stef

On Aug 19, 2010, at 8:12 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Yes Sean, actually SqueakSource is not really "Share Friendly".  I wonder if a solution is not having only one repository for all as Monticello seems to handle branches itself.  It seems INRIA will start working on this starting from sept. / oct.
>
> The automatic inbox is a solution too. But it doesn't mean packages will be integrated mainstream.
>
> I like public writable repository.
>
> I also wonder why SS is free for private repository, should be paying (so it can pay someone to manage / evolve SqueakSource).
>
> Laurent
>

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> laurent laffont wrote:
> >
> > Sean, could you put your package there ?
> >

> The wonderful world of Squeak packages...  The package I fixed is Todd
> Blanchard's HTML & CSS Validating Parser at
> http://www.squeaksource.com/htmlcssparser/, not the Scamper HTML from
> http://www.squeaksource.com/HTML, although both packages are called "HTML."
>
> However, this is a lovely opportunity to repeat my call for either (or maybe
> both):
> * (my favorite) create an inbox for each project on SqS, just like for
> Squeak and Pharo trunk, so users can choose between the bleeding edge (which
> would include contributions like this one) or the last officially blessed
> one; but they would all be in the same place and obvious to find.
> * or, send an email to all SqS emails saying that if they don't affirm
> responsibility for their project within X amount of time, the repo will be
> released to the community i.e. made w/r.
>
> I also seem to remember a suggestion at one point to have a list of people
> that were approved to commit to any repo on SqS.
>
> The point is, make it easy to contribute and people will.  It is a downer to
> go through the work of fixing packages, only to put them in my own repo
> where they may never be found by users, because the repo is read-only and I
> can't get in touch with the admins.
>
> <rant>
> Also, adding oneself to each repo is RUBBISH!!!!!  Even though I usually
> take the time, I shudder at the thought of all the community fixes that were
> kept personally or thrown away because it was a hassle to share them.  I'm
> sure many people, like me, just fix things that are broken.  This is the
> whole beauty of a live system that's turtles all the way down - my system's
> menus are broken, great, I just spend 20 minutes fixing them for every user
> on the planet vs. the typical X months (if ever) for an OS vendor to get
> around to a fix
> </rant>
>
> Sean

Re: HTML parser (again)

Yes we should do something.
Now the question is how to do something that we can actually implement.
I think that we should
        - start to identify package of interest (quality/topics////)
        - check their license status
        - check the author and get access
        - create an inbox

Stef

> laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>> Sean, could you put your package there ?
>>

> The wonderful world of Squeak packages...  The package I fixed is Todd
> Blanchard's HTML & CSS Validating Parser at
> http://www.squeaksource.com/htmlcssparser/, not the Scamper HTML from
> http://www.squeaksource.com/HTML, although both packages are called "HTML."
>
> However, this is a lovely opportunity to repeat my call for either (or maybe
> both):
> * (my favorite) create an inbox for each project on SqS, just like for
> Squeak and Pharo trunk, so users can choose between the bleeding edge (which
> would include contributions like this one) or the last officially blessed
> one; but they would all be in the same place and obvious to find.
> * or, send an email to all SqS emails saying that if they don't affirm
> responsibility for their project within X amount of time, the repo will be
> released to the community i.e. made w/r.
>
> I also seem to remember a suggestion at one point to have a list of people
> that were approved to commit to any repo on SqS.
>
> The point is, make it easy to contribute and people will.  It is a downer to
> go through the work of fixing packages, only to put them in my own repo
> where they may never be found by users, because the repo is read-only and I
> can't get in touch with the admins.
>
> <rant>
> Also, adding oneself to each repo is RUBBISH!!!!!  Even though I usually
> take the time, I shudder at the thought of all the community fixes that were
> kept personally or thrown away because it was a hassle to share them.  I'm
> sure many people, like me, just fix things that are broken.  This is the
> whole beauty of a live system that's turtles all the way down - my system's
> menus are broken, great, I just spend 20 minutes fixing them for every user
> on the planet vs. the typical X months (if ever) for an OS vendor to get
> around to a fix
> </rant>
>
> Sean

Re: code licenses...was HTML parser (again))

Dale Henrichs
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Yes we should do something.
> Now the question is how to do something that we can actually implement.
> I think that we should
> - start to identify package of interest (quality/topics////)
> - check their license status
> - check the author and get access
> - create an inbox
>
> Stef

Stef,

speaking of licenses...I was thinking that for mcz files, we should have
a "directory" of each mcz file that contains the license statement for
the code in that _version_ of the mcz file. Most tools would end up
ignoring, but if we started including the license _in_ the mcz file,
then license status would be _much clearer_.

I also assume that a similar addition to mc2 files could/should be done....

Dale

Re: code licenses...was HTML parser (again))

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes with first class package we could attach the license to the package
Now with the work of Carla I would like to resurrect the DrDoc Project so that
we get a kind of manifesto = a special class per package that contains the doc and the license.

Stef

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Yes with first class package we could attach the license to the package
> Now with the work of Carla I would like to resurrect the DrDoc Project so that
> we get a kind of manifesto = a special class per package that contains the doc and the license.

Ahhhh...sounds cool ...

On Aug 20, 2010, at 2:09 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Yes with first class package we could attach the license to the package
>> Now with the work of Carla I would like to resurrect the DrDoc Project so that we get a kind of manifesto = a special class per package that contains the doc and the license.
>
> Ahhhh...sounds cool ...
yes but I would need more time... :(

>> Stef
>>> Stef,
>>>
>>> speaking of licenses...I was thinking that for mcz files, we should have a "directory" of each mcz file that contains the license statement for the code in that _version_ of the mcz file. Most tools would end up ignoring, but if we started including the license _in_ the mcz file, then license status would be _much clearer_.
>>>
>>> I also assume that a similar addition to mc2 files could/should be done....
>>>
>>> Dale

12