HTML version of the Education Centre available?

HTML version of the Education Centre available?

Paul Hudson
Which is what I think DSDN is expecting. Can it be downloaded (as a single file) from somewhere?

P.

Re: HTML version of the Education Centre available?

Ian Bartholomew-5
Paul,

> Which is what I think DSDN is expecting. Can it be downloaded (as a single
file) from somewhere?

Not as far as I know. Up to D4 the EducationCentre was provided in standard
HTML, which is why DSDN expects that format. The change to the compiled
format in D4 threw me a bit and I never got around to doing anything about
it. I did _intend_ to ask OA if they could provide a copy in the old format
or allow me to download pages across the web and include them with DSDN but

Funnily enough I mentioned this to Bill the other day in reference to the
forthcoming (?) D5 so something may get done this time!!  Until then I'm
afraid you will have to either get hold of a D3 version of the EC and/or
download the D4 pages one at a time.

On the offchance - Does anyone know if there is a decompiler for translating
HTML help format back into normal HTML files?

Ian

Re: HTML version of the Education Centre available?

Eric Winger-4
Ian Bartholomew wrote:

> On the offchance - Does anyone know if there is a decompiler for translating
> HTML help format back into normal HTML files?

A quick net browse yieled:

http://www.workwrite.com/kt1198.htm

I haven't used it, but it might be what you want.

Eric

Re: HTML version of the Education Centre available?

Steve Waring-2
"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote in message

> On the offchance - Does anyone know if there is a decompiler for
translating
> HTML help format back into normal HTML files?

Hi Ian,

The MS Help workshop [1] has a decompliler.

Steve
www.dolphinharbor.org

[1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/htmlhelp/ht
ml/vsconwhatis.asp

Re: HTML version of the Education Centre available?

Ian Bartholomew-5
Eric,

> http://www.workwrite.com/kt1198.htm
>
> I haven't used it, but it might be what you want.

Give that man a coconut!!  It's exactly what is wanted and it's free as
well - thanks for locating it.

Anyone using DSDN and who wants a searchable EducationCentre should download
the above and create their own EC folder containing all the HTML files.
I'll also have a word with OA to see if they have any objections to me
making a decompiled version available as a download - they may obviously
prefer to do it themselves.

Funny how these problems that you put off because you think they are going
to be difficult suddenly work out to be a lot simpler than you expect.

Thanks again to Eric,

Ian

Re: HTML version of the Education Centre available?

Andy Bower
Ian,

> > http://www.workwrite.com/kt1198.htm
> >
> > I haven't used it, but it might be what you want.
>
> Give that man a coconut!!  It's exactly what is wanted and it's free as
> well - thanks for locating it.
>
> Anyone using DSDN and who wants a searchable EducationCentre should
download
> the above and create their own EC folder containing all the HTML files.
> I'll also have a word with OA to see if they have any objections to me
> making a decompiled version available as a download - they may obviously
> prefer to do it themselves.
>
> Funny how these problems that you put off because you think they are going
> to be difficult suddenly work out to be a lot simpler than you expect.

We (OA) don't have any problem with you making a decompiled version of the
EC available from your site. We'd also be happy if you chose to modify DSDN
to work with the online EC HTML files.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: HTML version of the Education Centre available?

Ian Bartholomew-5
Andy,

> We (OA) don't have any problem with you making a decompiled version of the
> EC available from your site.

Thanks, I'll do that.

> We'd also be happy if you chose to modify DSDN
> to work with the online EC HTML files.

The problem with that is the searching - one of the main things in DSDN.
Having to download each file across the net to search it would slow things
down somewhat!!. It would be possible to cache the pages locally but then
you've got to keep everything in sync...  The above is much more appealing
:-)

Thanks again
    Ian

Re: HTML version of the Education Centre available?

Bill Schwab-2
Andy,

> > We (OA) don't have any problem with you making a decompiled version of
the
> > EC available from your site.

Ian has pointed out that a link to this should appear on the main DSDN page,
and that an OA copyright notice must appear with it.  Do you have any
preference for the wording of the notice?

Thanks!!

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: HTML version of the Education Centre available?

Andy Bower
Bill,

> > > We (OA) don't have any problem with you making a decompiled version of
> > > the EC available from your site.
>
> Ian has pointed out that a link to this should appear on the main DSDN
page,
> and that an OA copyright notice must appear with it.  Do you have any
> preference for the wording of the notice?

Copyright (c) Object Arts Ltd. 1997-2001

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com