HTML5 and RenderLoopContinuation

Tobias Pape
Hi

I just played with Seaside and HTML5,
however, the resulting html is not HTML5 compatible.
The validator says
        Line 2, Column 249: Bad value Content-Script-Type for attribute http-equiv on element meta.

which is the result of

WARenderLoopContinuation>>updateRoot:
        "…"
        anHtmlRoot meta contentScriptType: WAMimeType textJavascript.
        anHtmlRoot htmlAttributes
                at: 'xmlns' put: 'http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml';
                at: 'xml:lang' put: 'en';
                at: 'lang' put: 'en'.
        "…"

The content script type is incorrect as of HTML5.
(see answer here:
        http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6320084/why-is-meta-http-equiv-content-script-type-mostly-unused#8864160
).
Also, 'xml:lang' is accepted for compatibility only, and 'xmlns' is incorrect for
HTML5 too (while silently ignored).

Long story short, can we optionalize this part?
I can work around the xml:lang and xmlns-attributes in a
subsequent #updateRoot: but I cannot undo the content script
type without editing WARenderLoopContinuation>>updateRoot:

If you want to, I can try to come up with something.

Best
        -tobias

RE: HTML5 and RenderLoopContinuation

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Tobias,

This is what we do in our shared library class to configure all roots for HTML5,

aHtmlRoot beHtml5.
aHtmlRoot headElements copy do: [:ea | (ea isKindOf: WAMetaElement) ifTrue: [aHtmlRoot headElements remove: ea]].
(aHtmlRoot htmlAttributes)
    addClass: 'no-js';
    removeKey: 'xmlns';
    removeKey: 'xml:lang';
    removeKey: 'lang'.
aHtmlRoot headElements addFirst: ((WAMetaElement root: aHtmlRoot)
            attributeAt: 'charset' put: 'utf-8';
            yourself).
(aHtmlRoot meta)
    responseHeaderName: 'X-UA-Compatible';
    content: 'IE=edge,chrome=1'.

-Boris

Re: HTML5 and RenderLoopContinuation

Tobias Pape
Dear Boris,

Am 22.11.2012 um 14:18 schrieb Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs:

> Tobias,
>
> This is what we do in our shared library class to configure all roots for HTML5,
>
> aHtmlRoot beHtml5.
> aHtmlRoot headElements copy do: [:ea | (ea isKindOf: WAMetaElement) ifTrue: [aHtmlRoot headElements remove: ea]].
> (aHtmlRoot htmlAttributes)
>    addClass: 'no-js';
>    removeKey: 'xmlns';
>    removeKey: 'xml:lang';
>    removeKey: 'lang'.
> aHtmlRoot headElements addFirst: ((WAMetaElement root: aHtmlRoot)
>            attributeAt: 'charset' put: 'utf-8';
>            yourself).
> (aHtmlRoot meta)
>    responseHeaderName: 'X-UA-Compatible';
>    content: 'IE=edge,chrome=1'.

Thanks for sharing!

Best
        -Tobias

Re: HTML5 and RenderLoopContinuation

Paul DeBruicker
Is there any reason to not make the #beHtml5 method do all the things in
your configuration?

On 11/22/2012 05:18 AM, Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs wrote:

> Tobias,
>
> This is what we do in our shared library class to configure all roots for HTML5,
>
> aHtmlRoot beHtml5.
> aHtmlRoot headElements copy do: [:ea | (ea isKindOf: WAMetaElement) ifTrue: [aHtmlRoot headElements remove: ea]].
> (aHtmlRoot htmlAttributes)
>      addClass: 'no-js';
>      removeKey: 'xmlns';
>      removeKey: 'xml:lang';
>      removeKey: 'lang'.
> aHtmlRoot headElements addFirst: ((WAMetaElement root: aHtmlRoot)
>              attributeAt: 'charset' put: 'utf-8';
>              yourself).
> (aHtmlRoot meta)
>      responseHeaderName: 'X-UA-Compatible';
>      content: 'IE=edge,chrome=1'.
>
> -Boris

Paul,

No specific reason other than that we use a common library to configure our roots to avoid unnecessary method overrides.

-Boris

Is there any reason to not make the #beHtml5 method do all the things in your configuration?

On 11/22/2012 05:18 AM, Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs wrote:

> Tobias,
>
> This is what we do in our shared library class to configure all roots for HTML5,
>
> aHtmlRoot beHtml5.
> aHtmlRoot headElements copy do: [:ea | (ea isKindOf: WAMetaElement) ifTrue: [aHtmlRoot headElements remove: ea]].
> (aHtmlRoot htmlAttributes)
>      addClass: 'no-js';
>      removeKey: 'xmlns';
>      removeKey: 'xml:lang';
>      removeKey: 'lang'.
> aHtmlRoot headElements addFirst: ((WAMetaElement root: aHtmlRoot)
>              attributeAt: 'charset' put: 'utf-8';
>              yourself).
> (aHtmlRoot meta)
>      responseHeaderName: 'X-UA-Compatible';
>      content: 'IE=edge,chrome=1'.
>
> -Boris

Oh sure I just meant that if that's what it takes to actually emit valid html5 pages from within seaside then maybe it should/could be part of the #beHtml5 method in the default Seaside-HTML5 package so everyone can use it without  having to find this thread.

I just don't know enough to be able to discern whether the changes to the root you posted cover everything that needs to be done or not.

Anyways. Thanks for posting it

On Nov 22, 2012, at 1:10 PM, "Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> No specific reason other than that we use a common library to configure our roots to avoid unnecessary method overrides.
>
> -Boris

Julian Fitzell-2
Sounds like a reasonable argument, but I'm also not that up on the details. Philippe?

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh sure I just meant that if that's what it takes to actually emit valid html5 pages from within seaside then maybe it should/could be part of the #beHtml5 method in the default Seaside-HTML5 package so everyone can use it without  having to find this thread.

I just don't know enough to be able to discern whether the changes to the root you posted cover everything that needs to be done or not.

Anyways. Thanks for posting it

On Nov 22, 2012, at 1:10 PM, "Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> No specific reason other than that we use a common library to configure our roots to avoid unnecessary method overrides.
>
> -Boris

Helene Bilbo
Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN) wrote
This is what we do in our shared library class to configure all roots for HTML5,

aHtmlRoot beHtml5.
aHtmlRoot headElements copy do: [:ea | (ea isKindOf: WAMetaElement) ifTrue: [aHtmlRoot headElements remove: ea]].
(aHtmlRoot htmlAttributes)
    addClass: 'no-js';
    removeKey: 'xmlns';
    removeKey: 'xml:lang';
    removeKey: 'lang'.
aHtmlRoot headElements addFirst: ((WAMetaElement root: aHtmlRoot)
            attributeAt: 'charset' put: 'utf-8';
            yourself).
(aHtmlRoot meta)
    responseHeaderName: 'X-UA-Compatible';
    content: 'IE=edge,chrome=1'.
Hi, thank you, this works nice, but for some reason it produces:

which is not valid ("Attribute content not allowed on element meta at this point."), instead of:

Has anybody a hint, how to change this?

Re: HTML5 and RenderLoopContinuation

Helene Bilbo
Paul DeBruicker wrote
Are there any plans to make HTML5 the standard output for Seaside instead of XHTML 1.0 Strict at any time in the future? (I would love this :)

RE: HTML5 and RenderLoopContinuation

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Override,

WAMetaElement>>encodeBeforeOn: aDocument
 super encodeBeforeOn: aDocument.

-Boris

> This is what we do in our shared library class to configure all roots
> for HTML5,
>
> aHtmlRoot beHtml5.
> aHtmlRoot headElements copy do: [:ea | (ea isKindOf: WAMetaElement)
> ifTrue: [aHtmlRoot headElements remove: ea]].
> (aHtmlRoot htmlAttributes)
>     addClass: 'no-js';
>     removeKey: 'xmlns';
>     removeKey: 'xml:lang';
>     removeKey: 'lang'.
> aHtmlRoot headElements addFirst: ((WAMetaElement root: aHtmlRoot)
>             attributeAt: 'charset' put: 'utf-8';
>             yourself).
> (aHtmlRoot meta)
>     responseHeaderName: 'X-UA-Compatible';
>     content: 'IE=edge,chrome=1'.

Hi, thank you, this works nice, but for some reason it produces:

which is not valid ("Attribute content not allowed on element meta at this point."), instead of:

Has anybody a hint, how to change this?

Re: HTML5 and RenderLoopContinuation

Julian Fitzell-2
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Helene Bilbo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Paul DeBruicker wrote
> Oh sure I just meant that if that's what it takes to actually emit valid
> html5 pages from within seaside then maybe it should/could be part of the
> #beHtml5 method in the default Seaside-HTML5 package so everyone can use
> it without  having to find this thread.

Are there any plans to make HTML5 the standard output for Seaside instead of
XHTML 1.0 Strict at any time in the future? (I would love this :)

Not something I've seen anyone discuss, but I can certainly see an argument for it; we made XHTML the default before it was ubiquitous.

I don't know if now's the right time or not though... thoughts anyone?

Julian

Re: HTML5 and RenderLoopContinuation

Philippe Marschall
On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sounds like a reasonable argument, but I'm also not that up on the details.

Yeah, looks wrong, wasn't supposed to work this way.

 [1] http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=747

Cheers
Philippe