Hack to show timestamp and author on versions of methods

Hack to show timestamp and author on versions of methods

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Guys
In my opinion it is really uncomfortable working without the timestamp of a
specific version of a method, I read the explanation of Esteban in the
(http://forum.world.st/pharo-8-method-versions-how-to-see-author-timestamp-td5116685.html)
but probably it will take some time before to see a new VersionBrowser and
the history based on git is not really a solution to me.
So it took a day of debugging but I discovered the flow of "versions" in
Pharo 8 and I added the logic of the timestamp and the author of a method.

Basically I created a subclass of MessageList I named it VersionMessageList,
in this way the original MessageList is preserved for other goals I can
safely ignore.

Now
1) You can file-in VersionMessageList.st (see below) and
2) You have to change VersionBrowser >> initializePresenters using
VersionMessageList this way:

VersionBrowser >> initializePresenters
        messageList := self instantiate: VersionMessageList .

Be careful, it's a hack and it's working on Pharo8, I don't know if it works
on Pharo9

Cheers
Davide

VersionMessageList.st
<http://forum.world.st/file/t77843/VersionMessageList.st>

Re: Hack to show timestamp and author on versions of methods

Kasper Osterbye
Cheers

Wonderful to have this hack.

While I am looking forward to getting git-history in-image, I still appreciate the existing tool for its finer granularity and the fact that I am amble to go back to every save I did.

Best,

Kasper