Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

12

Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

Nick Papoylias
Hallo to all,

I am starting my Ph.D on 'languages and environments for autonomous robotics' -- and pharo will be a huge part of it.

I am currently playing around with the system (to get the feel of it..) and testing it's programming tools in the context of
different namespaces / environments.

Specifically I am trying to find out what the implications of having a remote environment over rST for e.g (to browse, debug e.t.c).

Any pointers to related work, suggestions e.t.c are welcomed.

So my question:

Is anybody currently working on integrating namespaces in the system level ? I may have one or two questions and suggestions to make.

Thank you very much !

Nick Papoulias

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

Alexandre Bergel
Hi Nick,

Stef and I worked on an implementation a few years ago.
http://www.squeaksource.com/Namespace.html

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 11 Oct 2010, at 07:53, Nick Papoylias wrote:

> Hallo to all,
>
> I am starting my Ph.D on 'languages and environments for autonomous robotics' -- and pharo will be a huge part of it.
>
> I am currently playing around with the system (to get the feel of it..) and testing it's programming tools in the context of
> different namespaces / environments.
>
> Specifically I am trying to find out what the implications of having a remote environment over rST for e.g (to browse, debug e.t.c).
>
> Any pointers to related work, suggestions e.t.c are welcomed.
>
> So my question:
>
> Is anybody currently working on integrating namespaces in the system level ? I may have one or two questions and suggestions to make.
>
> Thank you very much !
>
> Nick Papoulias

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

Igor Stasenko
Also, i remember someone presented the namespaces implementation
during last ESUG conference. Its fresh, and probably will run on pharo.
But i don't remember who did this.

On 11 October 2010 16:10, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Stef and I worked on an implementation a few years ago.
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Namespace.html
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On 11 Oct 2010, at 07:53, Nick Papoylias wrote:
>
>> Hallo to all,
>>
>> I am starting my Ph.D on 'languages and environments for autonomous robotics' -- and pharo will be a huge part of it.
>>
>> I am currently playing around with the system (to get the feel of it..) and testing it's programming tools in the context of
>> different namespaces / environments.
>>
>> Specifically I am trying to find out what the implications of having a remote environment over rST for e.g (to browse, debug e.t.c).
>>
>> Any pointers to related work, suggestions e.t.c are welcomed.
>>
>> So my question:
>>
>> Is anybody currently working on integrating namespaces in the system level ? I may have one or two questions and suggestions to make.
>>
>> Thank you very much !
>>
>> Nick Papoulias

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

Simon Denier-3

On 11 oct. 2010, at 15:17, Igor Stasenko wrote:

Also, i remember someone presented the namespaces implementation
during last ESUG conference. Its fresh, and probably will run on pharo.
But i don't remember who did this.

Here you go, it's a GSOC project, video included:

Begin forwarded message:

From: James Foster <[hidden email]>
Date: 24 septembre 2010 00:09:39 HAEC
Subject: [Pharo-project] GSoC Project for Namespaces

Germán Leiva was accepted in Google Summer of Code 2010 and developed a Namespaces implementation for Pharo Smalltalk. A video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4I7fSVNX2A is based on his presentation at ESUG in Barcelona last week. You can get the code at http://www.squeaksource.com/Environments.html.

James Foster

 Simon

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

> Stef and I worked on an implementation a few years ago.
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Namespace.html

And it is a bad one :)
Now we are working on making the system environment-aware so that we can browse part of the system, (remotely too with you).

> Alexandre
>

> On 11 Oct 2010, at 07:53, Nick Papoylias wrote:
>
>> Hallo to all,
>>
>> I am starting my Ph.D on 'languages and environments for autonomous robotics' -- and pharo will be a huge part of it.
>>
>> I am currently playing around with the system (to get the feel of it..) and testing it's programming tools in the context of
>> different namespaces / environments.
>>
>> Specifically I am trying to find out what the implications of having a remote environment over rST for e.g (to browse, debug e.t.c).
>>
>> Any pointers to related work, suggestions e.t.c are welcomed.
>>
>> So my question:
>>
>> Is anybody currently working on integrating namespaces in the system level ? I may have one or two questions and suggestions to make.
>>
>> Thank you very much !
>>
>> Nick Papoulias

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

We already integrated the fixes for the systemOrganization he did.
More is needed.

Stef

On Oct 11, 2010, at 3:23 PM, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 11 oct. 2010, at 15:17, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> Also, i remember someone presented the namespaces implementation
>> during last ESUG conference. Its fresh, and probably will run on pharo.
>> But i don't remember who did this.
>

> Here you go, it's a GSOC project, video included:
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: James Foster <[hidden email]>
>> Date: 24 septembre 2010 00:09:39 HAEC
>> Subject: [Pharo-project] GSoC Project for Namespaces
>>
>> Germán Leiva was accepted in Google Summer of Code 2010 and developed a Namespaces implementation for Pharo Smalltalk. A video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4I7fSVNX2A is based on his presentation at ESUG in Barcelona last week. You can get the code at http://www.squeaksource.com/Environments.html.
>>
>> James Foster

>  Simon

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I'm glad to see that it works like class names (at least effectively) as messages to environments than a clone of Java syntax that I saw elsewhere.  On the completely pragmatic level, it will make more obvious the fact that our browser selection panes are not individually sizable.   I find them narrow at times now, and adding another column will squeeze even more.  Maybe I find them narrow specifically because I use long class names that would not be necessary if we had namespaces :)

From: James Foster <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: 24 septembre 2010 00:09:39 HAEC

On 11 October 2010 16:59, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm glad to see that it works like class names (at least effectively) as messages to environments than a clone of Java syntax that I saw elsewhere.  On the completely pragmatic level, it will make more obvious the fact that our browser selection panes are not individually sizable.   I find them narrow at times now, and adding another column will squeeze even more.  Maybe I find them narrow specifically because I use long class names that would not be necessary if we had namespaces :)

Yep. Fixing UI could be seen as a separate problem.
But since traditionally, smalltalk seen as a language AND environment,
so in order to use it, we should do the both,
otherwise nobody will use it.

P.S. i like the design of Environments. Its not intrusive (no syntax
changes), and coexists peacefully with existing code.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
The UI changes are indeed a separate problem; if anything, this will make them more likely to happen as more people will run into the need for more space in the class and method columns at the expense of the others.

Agreed that it looks like a smooth way to add the functionality.

On 11 October 2010 16:59, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm glad to see that it works like class names (at least effectively) as messages to environments than a clone of Java syntax that I saw elsewhere.  On the completely pragmatic level, it will make more obvious the fact that our browser selection panes are not individually sizable.   I find them narrow at times now, and adding another column will squeeze even more.  Maybe I find them narrow specifically because I use long class names that would not be necessary if we had namespaces :)

Yep. Fixing UI could be seen as a separate problem.
But since traditionally, smalltalk seen as a language AND environment,
so in order to use it, we should do the both,
otherwise nobody will use it.

P.S. i like the design of Environments. Its not intrusive (no syntax
changes), and coexists peacefully with existing code.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

Nick Papoylias
Ok, first of all thank you all ! It' s definetely a nice welcome for me, from the list.

Let me point out one things or two though:

It whould be nice to have PEPs (Pharo Enhancement Proposals), for these major issues.
See PEP for Python: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/ .

Smalltalk is so powerfull that Namespaces can be done in a (large) number of ways. For example should the namespaces have an hierarchy ? Should the Inheritance hierarcy of classes be able to 'break' the boundaries of namespaces ? Should namespaces be first-class ? (ok, yes..), and the list goes on.

For example there currently exist a setter in the class side for 'migratting' in a new environment, that just alters the class knowledge about the new namespace and does not erase it's record from the old namespace. Is this intented ? What is the underlying design ? Should we add an environment: setter in the subclass message, so that we integrate namespaces with the current Browser ? Should Behavior always return Smalltalk globals, or there should be a setter to be able to migrate a whole hierarchy of classes elsewhere ?

Ok.. hope next time I will posting code instead of questions.

Thank you very much,

Nick

From: James Foster <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: 24 septembre 2010 00:09:39 HAEC

Germán Leiva was accepted in Google Summer of Code 2010 and developed a Namespaces implementation for Pharo Smalltalk. A video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4I7fSVNX2A is based on his presentation at ESUG in Barcelona last week. You can get the code at http://www.squeaksource.com/Environments.html.

James Foster

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Nick,

Just first reactions, but:

(1) questions about integration with the browsers go to Lukas and others who are doing that work;
(2) keep the design simple and consistent with "everything is an object, all computation happens by sending messages to objects"
(3) use (2) vs. creating new syntax

So far, you are well on the way toward (2,3).

Bill

From: James Foster <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>>
Date: 24 septembre 2010 00:09:39 HAEC

Germán Leiva was accepted in Google Summer of Code 2010 and developed a Namespaces implementation for Pharo Smalltalk. A video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4I7fSVNX2A is based on his presentation at ESUG in Barcelona last week. You can get the code at http://www.squeaksource.com/Environments.html.

James Foster

 Simon

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

Hi guys

there is a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference between
        (1)  namespace at the language level and we do not want that the way german did it.
Give us some times and we will try different solutions and see what come out
        (2) systemDictionary at the infrastructure level.
        We are working on that since Squeak Kernel Cleaning Project
        here we want the tools to be able to use another environment so that we can
                - bootstrap the compiler with itself
                - load different version of code (for Moose) to build report on Pharo 1.2 from pharo 1.1
                - bootstrap the kernel
                - build atomic loading.
We are working on 2 and this is what nick needs.
I will not talk about namespace at the lnaguage level. No time for that.

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

> For example there currently exist a setter in the class side for 'migratting' in a new environment, that just alters the class knowledge about the new namespace and does not erase it's record from the old namespace.
where?

> Is this intented ? What is the underlying design ? Should we add an environment: setter in the subclass message, so that we integrate namespaces with the current Browser ? Should Behavior always return Smalltalk globals, or there should be a setter to be able to migrate a whole hierarchy of classes elsewhere ?

Normally a class should be able to return its environment and it can be different to Smalltalk globals, for example
we want to have to environments so that we can load Opal in one to modify the other Opal compiler that we will running.

Up to now marcus was using the old compiler to compile the new but in the future we only want one compiler and still been able to
change it.

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

SergeStinckwich
2010/10/11 Nick Papoylias <[hidden email]>:
> Hallo to all,
>
> I am starting my Ph.D on 'languages and environments for autonomous
> robotics' -- and pharo will be a huge part of it.

Hi Nick,

Great to see that another guy will work in the domain of embedded
systems&autonomous robots with Smalltalk !

I already talked with Noury or Luc about that. This is really
important to share code as we are a small community, especially code
to interface with existing robotics systems like ROS, OROCOS or
Player/Stage. I will start soon to work on how to integrate Smalltalk
with ROS: http://www.ros.org/wiki/

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For example there currently exist a setter in the class side for 'migratting' in a new environment, that just alters the class knowledge about the new namespace and does not erase it's record from the old namespace.
where?

Class>>environment: (as far as I understand the class changes it's environment, without erasing itself from the old one and adding itself to the new one)

> Is this intented ? What is the underlying design ? Should we add an environment: setter in the subclass message, so that we integrate namespaces with the current Browser ? Should Behavior always return Smalltalk globals, or there should be a setter to be able to migrate a whole hierarchy of classes elsewhere ?

Normally a class should be able to return its environment and it can be different to Smalltalk globals, for example
we want to have to environments so that we can load Opal in one to modify the other Opal compiler that we will running.

Up to now marcus was using the old compiler to compile the new but in the future we only want one compiler and still been able to
change it.

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

Nick Papoylias
I am currently concerned with remote programming (debugger, browser, compiler e.t.c) in Pharo from one image (or environment) to another, so that this infrastructure can be used in the field of autonomous robotics to ease the development cycle.

So we should definitely exchange ideas ! Cause there surely is more than one way to go (plain sockets and API, rST, remote SystemDictionary and environment, to name a few..)

We should keep in touch !

Nick

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/10/11 Nick Papoylias <[hidden email]>:
> Hallo to all,
>
> I am starting my Ph.D on 'languages and environments for autonomous
> robotics' -- and pharo will be a huge part of it.

Hi Nick,

Great to see that another guy will work in the domain of embedded
systems&autonomous robots with Smalltalk !

I already talked with Noury or Luc about that. This is really
important to share code as we are a small community, especially code
to interface with existing robotics systems like ROS, OROCOS or
Player/Stage. I will start soon to work on how to integrate Smalltalk
with ROS: http://www.ros.org/wiki/

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Nick,

I'm certainly no expert on DST, but I will gladly help where I can.  You're starting a PhD program?  Is Stef your advisor?  That would put you in good hands.

Bill

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
2010/10/11 Nick Papoylias <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> Hallo to all,
>
> I am starting my Ph.D on 'languages and environments for autonomous
> robotics' -- and pharo will be a huge part of it.

Hi Nick,

Great to see that another guy will work in the domain of embedded
systems&autonomous robots with Smalltalk !

I already talked with Noury or Luc about that. This is really
important to share code as we are a small community, especially code
to interface with existing robotics systems like ROS, OROCOS or
Player/Stage. I will start soon to work on how to integrate Smalltalk
with ROS: http://www.ros.org/wiki/

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Hallo Pharoers.. namespaces in the system level ?

jgfoster

On Oct 11, 2010, at 8:07 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> there is a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference between
> (1)  namespace at the language level and we do not want that the way german did it.

Stéphane,

Are you suggesting that the approach Germán Leiva demonstrated at ESUG last month is "at the language level"? Could you elaborate?

James

On Oct 11, 2010, at 5:25 PM, Nick Papoylias wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > For example there currently exist a setter in the class side for 'migratting' in a new environment, that just alters the class knowledge about the new namespace and does not erase it's record from the old namespace.
> where?
>
> Class>>environment: (as far as I understand the class changes it's environment, without erasing itself from the old one and adding itself to the new one)

clearly a bug. Cna you open a ticket? if you could write a test it would be excellent.
In fact this method was never build with multiple environment in mind :)

On Oct 11, 2010, at 5:53 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Nick,
>
> I'm certainly no expert on DST, but I will gladly help where I can.  You're starting a PhD program?  Is Stef your advisor?  That would put you in good hands.
noury luc and me :)

Indeed nick you should ahve a look at VisualWorks Distributed Smalltalk. I remember now that in 3 min I could browse your browser from my machine wayback in 2002.

Stef