Handle Close Event in Image - necessary for 1.0?

Handle Close Event in Image - necessary for 1.0?

Torsten Bergmann
I think I've found something that should be fixed
before releasing 1.0 since it is meanwhile a major problem on Windows.

In "old" Squeak/Pharo you could close the native world window
using the "X" or hit ALT+F4 on Windows and the system
asked you if you really want to close the whole Smalltalk system
 using a native dialog which was provided by the VM.

With the new VM's (4.0.1 and 4.0.2 on Windows, see [1]) the native
"window close event" is now dispatched from the VM into
the image so it could be handled by Smalltalk code.
This is currently not done/handled in Pharo. Only in Squeak so far.

The recent Squeak trunk/release candidate already handles the
event within the image and now provides an in-image dialog
to ask the user to quit.

So: in Pharo now NOTHING happens when you try to close the window
using "X", you can only quit using the world menu - which is IMHO really
a show stopper since you cant close using "X" or ALT+F4 (the key combination to close any windows program).

Two possible options:

A) we should handle the event now in-image similar to Squeak
   by fixing and integration issue 2131 (see [2]), so not only
   for 1.1. but also for 1.0

B) release and distribute Pharo 1.0 with an old VM < 4.0

BTW:
You can get the old behavior on Windows by additionally using SHIFT, so
SHIFT + ALT + F4 allows to close.
But this is not very convinient, doesnt follow what the typical
Windows user expects and one has to know about it...

Bye
T.

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/004142.html
[2] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2131

Re: Handle Close Event in Image - necessary for 1.0?

Stéphane Ducasse
if you want this to be fixed for 1.1
        open a ticket
        provide some tested code

I cannot do everything especially for platform I do not have access to.

Stef

> I think I've found something that should be fixed
> before releasing 1.0 since it is meanwhile a major problem on Windows.
>
> In "old" Squeak/Pharo you could close the native world window
> using the "X" or hit ALT+F4 on Windows and the system
> asked you if you really want to close the whole Smalltalk system
> using a native dialog which was provided by the VM.
>
> With the new VM's (4.0.1 and 4.0.2 on Windows, see [1]) the native
> "window close event" is now dispatched from the VM into
> the image so it could be handled by Smalltalk code.
> This is currently not done/handled in Pharo. Only in Squeak so far.
>
> The recent Squeak trunk/release candidate already handles the
> event within the image and now provides an in-image dialog
> to ask the user to quit.
>
> So: in Pharo now NOTHING happens when you try to close the window
> using "X", you can only quit using the world menu - which is IMHO really
> a show stopper since you cant close using "X" or ALT+F4 (the key combination to close any windows program).

a showstopper is something that breaks and put the system on its knees.
So this problem may be fixed but only for 1.1.

> Two possible options:
>
> A) we should handle the event now in-image similar to Squeak
>   by fixing and integration issue 2131 (see [2]), so not only
>   for 1.1. but also for 1.0
>
> B) release and distribute Pharo 1.0 with an old VM < 4.0
>

> BTW:
> You can get the old behavior on Windows by additionally using SHIFT, so
> SHIFT + ALT + F4 allows to close.
> But this is not very convinient, doesnt follow what the typical
> Windows user expects and one has to know about it...
>
> Bye
> T.
>
> [1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/004142.html
> [2] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2131

Re: Handle Close Event in Image - necessary for 1.0?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks Torsten for reporting. I don't think this is a stopper for 1.0 at all.

We can release an older VM without that problem ?  Even more because the new version 4 doesn't bring anything new for Pharo. isn't it ?
The only problem where ImageSegment...Ok, I rather to have working this thing of closing the windows.

Can you tell us exactly the link of the previous vm that was working ? because we are doing the one-click now and we took the 4.

Then, for 1.1 open a ticket so that someone try to fix the problem with the version 4.

Cheers

Mariano

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Thanks Torsten for reporting. I don't think this is a stopper for 1.0 at
> all.
>
> We can release an older VM without that problem ?  Even more because the new
> version 4 doesn't bring anything new for Pharo. isn't it ?

This should pass, shouldn't it?

[
  FileStream newFileNamed: 'foo.txt' do: [ :file |
  file position: 1.
  self assert: file next isNil.
  self assert: file atEnd ] ]
  ensure: [ FileDirectory default deleteFileNamed: 'foo.txt' ifAbsent: [] ]

Levente