Handling errors - staging/production

12

Re: Handling errors - staging/production

Philippe Marschall
2011/6/2 John Toohey <[hidden email]>:
> I have that with the Seaside class, but am not sure what to do beyond
> that (if anything). Should I send a redirect to an error page or
> handle the exception some other way. On my production servers, I often
> see socket timeout errors etc., and would like to just have these
> emailed/logged to disk, and not have the debugger come up in the
> image.

Do you get them from within Seaside or from within Comanche?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Handling errors - staging/production

John Toohey
It comes from Seaside. I use Comet in my app, so I have to use the
streaming server. Does this mean that I cannot handle errors myself,
but must have SS show the user a stacktrace, or fire the debugger in
the image>

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 01:16, Philippe Marschall
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/6/2 John Toohey <[hidden email]>:
>> I have that with the Seaside class, but am not sure what to do beyond
>> that (if anything). Should I send a redirect to an error page or
>> handle the exception some other way. On my production servers, I often
>> see socket timeout errors etc., and would like to just have these
>> emailed/logged to disk, and not have the debugger come up in the
>> image.
>
> Do you get them from within Seaside or from within Comanche?
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

~JT

Re: Handling errors - staging/production

John Toohey
This I don't understand, as all that has happened is that my app has
thrown an error, and I have just emailed the error report, and now
want to continue. I haven't actually stopped sending what ever was in
progress when the error occurred. Why was the response committed so
quickly?

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 01:15, Philippe Marschall
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/6/2 John Toohey <[hidden email]>:
>> I see the last exception is thrown because I'm using a
>> WAStreamResponse, and its already committed. At this stage I would
>> just like to redirect to an error page, and have the user log back in.
>> Is there any way to exit the chain, and perform a redirect?
>
> You can't. Once the response it committed the bytes are on the client
> (or at least on their way). You can try to send a JavaScript that does
> a redirect but that may not work. If you're uncool with this behavior
> don't use streaming.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

~JT