Happy Birthday!

Fernando Rodríguez
I just got this 'Tip of the Day':

Dolphin Smalltalk first evaluated 3+4 in February 1995 (and got the
answer 7!)

Well, happy 20th birthday! :-)

Re: Happy Birthday!

Christopher J. Demers
"Fernando" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
>I just got this 'Tip of the Day':
>
> Dolphin Smalltalk first evaluated 3+4 in February 1995 (and got the
> answer 7!)
>
> Well, happy 20th birthday! :-)

You scared me for a moment.  I think you mean 10th birthday. ;)

Chris

Re: Happy Birthday!

Ian Bartholomew-19
> Dolphin Smalltalk first evaluated 3+4 in February 1995 (and got the
> answer 7!)

That comment has slightly more to it than first appears - it relates to a
cartoon in "Smalltalk, Bits of History, Words of Advice" (the Green book)
which goes something like the following (when converted to ASCII)

"Here We Go"

    3+4(evaluate)
    **!*"*£*$*"*S*£&

"Oh, Too bad"

later ...

"Once More"

    3+4(evaluate)
    DeeDD,, G^eep
    Zpp

"Hmmmm"

later ...

"This ought to be better"

    3+4(evaluate)
    Compiler does not understand =>

"Well now"

later ...

    3+4(evaluate)
    Class TextImage

"Oh! I think I know what that is"

later ...

    3+4(evaluate)
    9

"All right!  Hey everybody, Smalltalk works!"

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: Happy Birthday!

Fernando Rodríguez
>> Well, happy 20th birthday! :-)

>You scared me for a moment.  I think you mean 10th birthday. ;)

Hhmm... let me check it out... yeah, I think so. ;-D