Happy news: WebSocket just started working

Happy news: WebSocket just started working

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

I just like to inform you, that I manage to establish first WebSocket
connection between Aida and web browser. Now path to the real-time web
apps on Aida is open!

WebSocket protocol namelly allows a bidirectional communication between
browser and server, it is therefore a Comet as it should be, without
hacks as used until now, like long polling etc.

Aida will open WebSocket immediatelly at the start of new user session
and maintain it during a whole session. This means that any Aida app
will be able to send back to browser messages at any time. Usually to
update some element on the webpage when something change on the server.

This Comet functionality will from now be always present on Aida apps,
no need to do anything extra anymore. On WebSocket capable browsers of
course, which will be soon all (except IE as usual of course, but who
cares!)

More to come.
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Happy news: WebSocket just started working

Janko Mivšek
Some reading about WebSockets:

  Introduction to WebSocket from Opera guys:
  http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/introducing-web-sockets/

  IETF WebSocket protocol RFP:
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-00

Test page to test if your browser supports WebSockets:

  http://testsuites.opera.com/websockets/

Current browser support:

  Firefox 4 beta
  Opera 11 beta