Has anybody ever ..

Roland Wagener
Hi List

in our equipment integration project at AMD, Dresden (the ones producing
all the Athlons and Opterons etc.) we stepped over a communication
infrastructure called OPC, which translates to 'OLE for Process Control'
(http://www.opcfoundation.org ). There are two, lets say, approaches or
architectures, one is based on COM, the newer one on Web Services.

Now the question is, has anybody written an OPC Client or Server for the
COM-based variant? Was it difficult? Did COM-Connect help, was it
sufficient?

Thanks for any answer!

Roland
--
Roland Wagener * Senior Consultant * [hidden email]
Tel: x49-231-9 75 99-26   Fax: x49-231-9 75 99-20
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

RE: Has anybody ever ..

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
If anyone would know, it'll be Mike Hales, he did quite a bit with OPC
over COM, I believe. He's a frequent visitor to this list, you can
easily get his email direct if he doesn't respond here.

Hope this helps,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Mike Hales
Hey Roland, we use a third party dll purchased from WinTech for both
OPC client and server.  I built an External interface class wrapping
it and some basic Objects modeling servers, groups and items.  Unless
you are really COM savvy, I would not recommend using COM-connect to
build your own OPC client, I would buy a third party SDK that gives
you a C api. That greatly simplifies things.  With ours, I do load the
COM-Automation parcel so I get support for VARIANT structures for free
which is how COM passes the data back and forth.  There are a number
of vendors selling sdk's including a couple which have bridges to
linux as well.

Also of note is the OPCXMLDA package in the Cincom public store which
has the server implementation of the Web Services approach to OPC.
This was Randy Coulman's work from Key which he was kind enough to
publish.

Also note that the OPC foundation is in the process of rolling out the
OPC "Unified Architecture" which will include a Web-Services based, as
well as platform independent binary protocol.  They promise ansi-C
dynamic libraries for multiple platforms.  This will be a while before
it is widely adopted in the industry though.

Your best be is getting a C library and wrapping it, which isn't hard,
the COM-Connect parcels from Cincom can help with 2 big things, GUID's
and VARIANT's which most C libraries assume you can deal with.

Mike

On Nov 7, 2007, at 2:08 PM, Roland Wagener wrote:

> Hi List
>
> in our equipment integration project at AMD, Dresden (the ones
> producing all the Athlons and Opterons etc.) we stepped over a
> communication infrastructure called OPC, which translates to 'OLE
> for Process Control' (http://www.opcfoundation.org ). There are two,
> lets say, approaches or architectures, one is based on COM, the
> newer one on Web Services.
>
> Now the question is, has anybody written an OPC Client or Server for
> the COM-based variant? Was it difficult? Did COM-Connect help, was
> it sufficient?
>
> Thanks for any answer!
>
> Roland
> --
> Roland Wagener * Senior Consultant * [hidden email]
> Tel: x49-231-9 75 99-26   Fax: x49-231-9 75 99-20
> Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

Re: Has anybody ever ..

Roland Wagener
Thank you everybody for your comments, they were very helpful in
deciding which direction to take.

Thanks Mike for the not so obvious tricks.

Roland