Has anybody got DBX working in Pharo?

Richard Durr-2
I tried but it allways fails, because it cannot load the opendbx
libraries. I already tried the methods stated on their site but to no
luck.
RD

Re: Has anybody got DBX working in Pharo?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Richard, yes, SqueakDBX is working on Pharo. As you noticed, you need the OpenDBX libraries AND the database client libraries.

If you give me more details I will be happy to help you:

- Which OS of the database and which OS for the database client
- Which Pharo VM and image
- How did you install SqueakDBX?
- Which is exactly the error?
- Did you install OpenDBX? compiling or installing the binaries?
- Did you install the database client libraries?

Cheers

Mariano

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Richard Durr <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tried but it allways fails, because it cannot load the opendbx
libraries. I already tried the methods stated on their site but to no
luck.
RD

Re: Has anybody got DBX working in Pharo?

Richard Durr-2
Cool, thanks. :)
Answers asFollows!
>  Which OS of the database and which OS for the database client
Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard, build in Sqlite
- Which Pharo VM and image
Squeak Beta 4.2, Pharo 1.0
- How did you install SqueakDBX?
ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX 1.1
- Which is exactly the error?
all tests fail with unable to find library
- Did you install OpenDBX? compiling or installing the binaries?
configure for sqlite, then make; make install
- Did you install the database client libraries?
I thought it would use the Sqlite Libraries of OS X.

2010/6/8 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Richard, yes, SqueakDBX is working on Pharo. As you noticed, you need the
> OpenDBX libraries AND the database client libraries.
>
> If you give me more details I will be happy to help you:
>
> - Which OS of the database and which OS for the database client
> - Which Pharo VM and image
> - How did you install SqueakDBX?
> - Which is exactly the error?
> - Did you install OpenDBX? compiling or installing the binaries?
> - Did you install the database client libraries?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Richard Durr <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I tried but it allways fails, because it cannot load the opendbx
>> libraries. I already tried the methods stated on their site but to no
>> luck.
>> RD

Re: Has anybody got DBX working in Pharo?

Mariano Martinez Peck
OK....My experience with OpenDBX is mostly with Linux and Windows. In Mac there was other  people using it, but not me.

Please take a look to the title "Problems with Mac OS:"  of the following link:

http://www.squeakdbx.org/Compiling%20and%20installing%20OpenDBX

Also see:

http://www.squeakdbx.org/Sqlite3%20for%20mac
http://smalltalkimpressions.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html
http://dreamsofascorpion.blogspot.com/2008/05/using-opendbx-with-squeak.html

Any progress?

Cheers

Mariano

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Richard Durr <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool, thanks. :)
Answers asFollows!
>  Which OS of the database and which OS for the database client
Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard, build in Sqlite
- Which Pharo VM and image
Squeak Beta 4.2, Pharo 1.0
- How did you install SqueakDBX?
ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX 1.1
- Which is exactly the error?
all tests fail with unable to find library
- Did you install OpenDBX? compiling or installing the binaries?
configure for sqlite, then make; make install
- Did you install the database client libraries?
I thought it would use the Sqlite Libraries of OS X.

2010/6/8 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Richard, yes, SqueakDBX is working on Pharo. As you noticed, you need the
> OpenDBX libraries AND the database client libraries.
>
> If you give me more details I will be happy to help you:
>
> - Which OS of the database and which OS for the database client
> - Which Pharo VM and image
> - How did you install SqueakDBX?
> - Which is exactly the error?
> - Did you install OpenDBX? compiling or installing the binaries?
> - Did you install the database client libraries?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Richard Durr <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I tried but it allways fails, because it cannot load the opendbx
>> libraries. I already tried the methods stated on their site but to no
>> luck.
>> RD

Re: Has anybody got DBX working in Pharo?

Richard Durr-2
I took a look and followed the instructions but still no luck.

Compilling opendbx was no problem. Squeak can just not find / accept
the library :/

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Richard Durr <[hidden email]> wrote:
I took a look and followed the instructions but still no luck.

Compilling opendbx was no problem. Squeak can just not find / accept
the library :/

I have no idea, sorry :)
I cc'ed John and maybe he can help you. Since 6 months I have a Mac but I didn't have time to play with DBX so far.
I plan to do it at some moment.

2010/6/9 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> OK....My experience with OpenDBX is mostly with Linux and Windows. In Mac
> there was other  people using it, but not me.
>
> Please take a look to the title "Problems with Mac OS:"  of the following
> link:
>
> http://www.squeakdbx.org/Compiling%20and%20installing%20OpenDBX
>
> Also see:
>
> http://www.squeakdbx.org/Sqlite3%20for%20mac
> http://smalltalkimpressions.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html
> http://dreamsofascorpion.blogspot.com/2008/05/using-opendbx-with-squeak.html
>

> Any progress?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Richard Durr <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Cool, thanks. :)
>> Answers asFollows!
>> >  Which OS of the database and which OS for the database client
>> Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard, build in Sqlite
>> - Which Pharo VM and image
>> Squeak Beta 4.2, Pharo 1.0
>> - How did you install SqueakDBX?
>> ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX 1.1
>> - Which is exactly the error?
>> all tests fail with unable to find library
>> - Did you install OpenDBX? compiling or installing the binaries?
>> configure for sqlite, then make; make install
>> - Did you install the database client libraries?
>> I thought it would use the Sqlite Libraries of OS X.
>>
>> 2010/6/8 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> > Richard, yes, SqueakDBX is working on Pharo. As you noticed, you need
>> > the
>> > OpenDBX libraries AND the database client libraries.
>> >
>> > If you give me more details I will be happy to help you:
>> >
>> > - Which OS of the database and which OS for the database client
>> > - Which Pharo VM and image
>> > - How did you install SqueakDBX?
>> > - Which is exactly the error?
>> > - Did you install OpenDBX? compiling or installing the binaries?
>> > - Did you install the database client libraries?
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > Mariano
>> >
>> > On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Richard Durr
>> > <[hidden email]>

Re: Has anybody got DBX working in Pharo?

John Toohey
I have OpenDBX running on Pharo 1.0 and Snow Lepoard without problems.

- Double check that you have a symlink to the opendbx libs set in your ../Squeak 4.2.2beta1U.app/Contents folder, like this opendbx -> /usr/local/lib/libopendbx.1.dylib

- Check that opendbx can find your sqllite libs. I am using Postgres without any problems, but it may be that sqllite is installed somewhere that opendbx cannot  find. You should double check the directories you gave when compiling OpenDBX.

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 16:51, Richard Durr <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool, thanks. :)
Answers asFollows!
>  Which OS of the database and which OS for the database client
Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard, build in Sqlite
- Which Pharo VM and image
Squeak Beta 4.2, Pharo 1.0
- How did you install SqueakDBX?
ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX 1.1
- Which is exactly the error?
all tests fail with unable to find library
- Did you install OpenDBX? compiling or installing the binaries?
configure for sqlite, then make; make install
- Did you install the database client libraries?
I thought it would use the Sqlite Libraries of OS X.

2010/6/8 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Richard, yes, SqueakDBX is working on Pharo. As you noticed, you need the
> OpenDBX libraries AND the database client libraries.
>
> If you give me more details I will be happy to help you:
>
> - Which OS of the database and which OS for the database client
> - Which Pharo VM and image
> - How did you install SqueakDBX?
> - Which is exactly the error?
> - Did you install OpenDBX? compiling or installing the binaries?
> - Did you install the database client libraries?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Richard Durr <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I tried but it allways fails, because it cannot load the opendbx
>> libraries. I already tried the methods stated on their site but to no
>> luck.
>> RD

-JT

Re: Has anybody got DBX working in Pharo?

Richard Durr-2
Okay, thank you :)

2010/6/9 John Toohey <[hidden email]>:

> I have OpenDBX running on Pharo 1.0 and Snow Lepoard without problems.
> - Double check that you have a symlink to the opendbx libs set in your
> ../Squeak 4.2.2beta1U.app/Contents folder, like this opendbx ->
> /usr/local/lib/libopendbx.1.dylib
> - Check that opendbx can find your sqllite libs. I am using Postgres without
> any problems, but it may be that sqllite is installed somewhere that opendbx
> cannot  find. You should double check the directories you gave when
> compiling OpenDBX.
>

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 16:51, Richard Durr <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Cool, thanks. :)
>> Answers asFollows!
>> >  Which OS of the database and which OS for the database client
>> Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard, build in Sqlite
>> - Which Pharo VM and image
>> Squeak Beta 4.2, Pharo 1.0
>> - How did you install SqueakDBX?
>> ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX 1.1
>> - Which is exactly the error?
>> all tests fail with unable to find library
>> - Did you install OpenDBX? compiling or installing the binaries?
>> configure for sqlite, then make; make install
>> - Did you install the database client libraries?
>> I thought it would use the Sqlite Libraries of OS X.
>>
>> 2010/6/8 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> > Richard, yes, SqueakDBX is working on Pharo. As you noticed, you need
>> > the
>> > OpenDBX libraries AND the database client libraries.
>> >
>> > If you give me more details I will be happy to help you:
>> >
>> > - Which OS of the database and which OS for the database client
>> > - Which Pharo VM and image
>> > - How did you install SqueakDBX?
>> > - Which is exactly the error?
>> > - Did you install OpenDBX? compiling or installing the binaries?
>> > - Did you install the database client libraries?
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > Mariano
>> >
>> > On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Richard Durr
>> > <[hidden email]>

> -JT

Re: Has anybody got DBX working in Pharo?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks John. I would like to add such information in the squeakdbx website.
Richard, if you solve the problem I would like to know also what was the problem and how you solved it.

Cheers

Mariano