Has anyone built a source code tool to extract a specific argument from specific message sends?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Has anyone built a source code tool to extract a specific argument from specific message sends?

Richard Sargent
Administrator
I have a lot of methods which send messages similar to the following, but with varying numbers of arguments. I want to be able to automatically extract the symbols used as the argument to the #statusTag: keyword (to be able to keep a #packagerKnownSymbols implementation up to date).

self gbsMessenger
        statusTag: #atOop:putClient:
        with: self
        with: (oop printStringRadix: 16)
        with: obj identityHash.

Any such tool or script would be welcome. Absent such a result, guidance on doing so effectively would also be appreciated.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/7cbd9990-5760-4d3e-85ed-e9c7997872c0%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

gcotelli
You can use the rewrite searcher on the rewrite tools. I have some code doing something similar. If you don't figure it out for the Monday ping me and I can lookup the code for doing it

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/739fb767-4f93-481c-ad07-937132895c1b%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Has anyone built a source code tool to extract a specific argument from specific message sends?

Steven LaFavor
In reply to this post by Richard Sargent
Does the symbol actually represent a Smalltalk message that will be performed or invoked?  If not, you could consider converting them into instances of EsAtom (##notAMessageButSomeSortOfState) so that you don't need to maintain the packagerKnownSymbols method at all.....

*Steve* 

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/61ba95b4-046a-4b86-958e-d950d62fbf5b%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Has anyone built a source code tool to extract a specific argument from specific message sends?

Steven LaFavor

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 9:39:31 AM UTC-5, Steven LaFavor wrote:
Does the symbol actually represent a Smalltalk message that will be performed or invoked?  If not, you could consider converting them into instances of EsAtom (##notAMessageButSomeSortOfState) so that you don't need to maintain the packagerKnownSymbols method at all.....

*Steve* 

Something was bothering me when I wrote this message, and in looking at it again, I now see the string in the message: argument that actually *is* the invocation of the method, so please ignore my response.

*Steve*

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/5bdbf514-daff-4c65-b5f1-883309dff25c%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

gcotelli
In reply to this post by Richard Sargent
Richard, something like this should do the trick:

| searcher symbols|

symbols := Set new.
    searcher := ParseTreeSearcher new.
    searcher
        answer: false;
        matches: 'self gbsMessenger
        statusTag: `@symbol
        with: `@first
        with: `@second
        with: `@third'
        do: [:node :answer | | literalValue |
            literalValue := node  arguments first value.
            literalValue isSymbol
                ifTrue: [symbols add: literalValue].
            false].

SmalllintChecker newWithContext
        rule: (
            TransformationRule new
                rewriteUsing: searcher;
                yourself);
        environment: (
            ClassEnvironment
                onEnvironment: BrowserEnvironment new
                classes: ((System loadedApplications select: [:app | app name beginsWith: #Gb ] )
                inject: OrderedCollection new into: [:classes :app |
                    app withAllSubApplications do: [:subapp |
                classes addAll: subapp defined;yourself ].
            classes]));
        run.
        symbols

On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 9:12:13 PM UTC-3, Richard Sargent wrote:
I have a lot of methods which send messages similar to the following, but with varying numbers of arguments. I want to be able to automatically extract the symbols used as the argument to the #statusTag: keyword (to be able to keep a #packagerKnownSymbols implementation up to date).

self gbsMessenger

Any such tool or script would be welcome. Absent such a result, guidance on doing so effectively would also be appreciated.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/43d7d850-ee3e-4501-a165-803cd38edbc6%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Richard Sargent
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steven LaFavor
Steve,

Your original response was fine. I don't understand your latest response. :-)

Atoms are not an option for me here because I need to maintain source code compatibility with other Smalltalks (as much as possible).

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 12:20:42 PM UTC-7, Steven LaFavor wrote:

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 9:39:31 AM UTC-5, Steven LaFavor wrote:

*Steve* 

Something was bothering me when I wrote this message, and in looking at it again, I now see the string in the message: argument that actually *is* the invocation of the method, so please ignore my response.

*Steve*

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/4b3bfca6-0acc-4dae-a63c-7660bdce2323%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Richard Sargent
Administrator
In reply to this post by gcotelli
On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 5:04:04 AM UTC-7, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
Richard, something like this should do the trick:

Thanks, Gabriel. That will be helpful. Do you know if I can generalize the message pattern to include all variants of #statusTag:message:*? i.e. 0 to n #with: keywords and the most general #withArguments: keywords?

At this point, I am only asking to get a better understanding. I have scripted enumerating the list of selectors and finding the methods that send each. Getting the parse tree of each method is easy (#stsParseTree) and enumerating the nodes to find the appropriate EsKeywordPattern instance and extracting the #statusTag: argument is now relatively easy. (#allNodesDo:, #isKeywordPattern, arguments first, etc.)

| searcher symbols|

symbols := Set new.
    searcher := ParseTreeSearcher new.
    searcher
        answer: false;
        matches: 'self gbsMessenger
        statusTag: `@symbol
        with: `@first
        with: `@second
        with: `@third'
        do: [:node :answer | | literalValue |
            literalValue := node  arguments first value.
            literalValue isSymbol
                ifTrue: [symbols add: literalValue].
            false].

SmalllintChecker newWithContext
        rule: (
            TransformationRule new
                rewriteUsing: searcher;
                yourself);
        environment: (
            ClassEnvironment
                onEnvironment: BrowserEnvironment new
                classes: ((System loadedApplications select: [:app | app name beginsWith: #Gb ] )
                inject: OrderedCollection new into: [:classes :app |
                    app withAllSubApplications do: [:subapp |
                classes addAll: subapp defined;yourself ].
            classes]));
        run.
        symbols

On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 9:12:13 PM UTC-3, Richard Sargent wrote:

self gbsMessenger

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/0c99f3c5-e0b0-453e-b3a0-952456da922b%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Richard Sargent
Administrator
For those who care, the attached file is a script which does what I was seeking. Feel free to adapt it to your own needs.
(Note, a real object-oriented solution would utilize the parse tree visitor pattern defined for the Code Assist tools. This one is quick and dirty.)

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/9ec65f79-3ab1-4d11-aa4e-73bcdeff544f%40googlegroups.com.

ExampleProcessingParseTreeOfSendersOfSpecificSelectors.st (975 bytes) Download Attachment