Has anyone made Morphs good for showing compass like visuals?

Has anyone made Morphs good for showing compass like visuals?

timrowledge
I need to display wind speed and direction; one nice option would be a compass-like display for the direction and then perhaps stretch the needle for the speed indicator. Before I start faffing around making one I checked squeaksource, smalltalkhub (can anyone actually find anything there?) and googled around all to no effect.

So, has anyone already done this, or something similar? A faintly related indicator for air pressure that looks like a barometer would be nice too.

tim
Klingon Code Warrior:- 9) "A TRUE Klingon warrior does not comment his code!"

Re: Has anyone made Morphs good for showing compass like visuals?

Edgar De Cleene
Nope, but i like help.
Tell me where i could found picts or photos of things you like draw with Morphic.

> On Mar 10, 2017, at 03:21, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I need to display wind speed and direction; one nice option would be a compass-like display for the direction and then perhaps stretch the needle for the speed indicator. Before I start faffing around making one I checked squeaksource, smalltalkhub (can anyone actually find anything there?) and googled around all to no effect.
>
> So, has anyone already done this, or something similar? A faintly related indicator for air pressure that looks like a barometer would be nice too.
>
> tim
> Klingon Code Warrior:- 9) "A TRUE Klingon warrior does not comment his code!"

Re: Has anyone made Morphs good for showing compass like visuals?

Tansel Ersavas-2
I did similar things a looooong time ago, I am not sure if I can find but I will look this weekend.

Cheers,

Tansel

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Edgar De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nope, but i like help.
Tell me where i could found picts or photos of things you like draw with Morphic.

> On Mar 10, 2017, at 03:21, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I need to display wind speed and direction; one nice option would be a compass-like display for the direction and then perhaps stretch the needle for the speed indicator. Before I start faffing around making one I checked squeaksource, smalltalkhub (can anyone actually find anything there?) and googled around all to no effect.
>
> So, has anyone already done this, or something similar? A faintly related indicator for air pressure that looks like a barometer would be nice too.
>
> tim
> Klingon Code Warrior:- 9) "A TRUE Klingon warrior does not comment his code!"

Re: Has anyone made Morphs good for showing compass like visuals?

timrowledge

> On 09-03-2017, at 11:29 PM, Edgar De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nope, but i like help.
> Tell me where i could found picts or photos of things you like draw with Morphic.

Cool!

As you’ve probably noticed I’m busy making weather station stuff; partly because it’s useful, partly as a driver to learn some new things. Now that I have the hardware sorted out, and MQTT as a way to get information from that hardware, it’s time to display it nicely.

I’ve been banging on PlotMorph to display historical temperature/air pressure/humidity, but most of the time one wants a quick, at a glance visuals for the current conditions. For temperature a thermometer is rather obvious. For air pressure and humidity the traditional round dial will work ok, though other ideas exist. For wind speed and direction I think a compass rose and some magnitude indicator like the length of the needle would work.

I’ve been surprised that I can’t find anything already written for any of this. It may be simply not in a searchable place or perhaps nobody has had a reason to make them. Generic dials and quantity displays seem like an useful thing to have in the system for all sorts of purposes. Why don’t we have a nice pressure gauge to show how much memory pressure the image is under? A speedometer? If we want to make Smalltalk a good toolkit for integrating IoT widgets (which I suspect may be a good thing to do) we’ll need a range of well done and attractive info displays and interaction devices.

As an example of a really beautiful (but very graphically fiddly and somewhat over done) barometer, see http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-37093161787174_2270_30237373
By contrast I think the same company’s wind indicator really sucks - http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-37093161787174_2270_31535735 - using the needle for windspeed and LEDs for direction? Confusing, and a tacky mix of styles. A google image search for ‘barometer graphics’ produces a barrage of pictures ranging from ‘nice’ to ‘holy cow, who came up with that’, as usual. ‘Thermometer graphics' is even worse…

The sort of display I was thinking about for wind data can be seen at http://www.victoriaweather.ca/station.php?id=110 and about half-way down the page there is a couple of wind indicators. They’re ugly but functional.

As always, it’s worth mention the work of Edward Tufte on trying to display data effectively. Pretty is nice but not if it gets in the way.

tim
ASCII to  ASCII, DOS to DOS.

Re: Has anyone made Morphs good for showing compass like visuals?

timrowledge

> On 09-03-2017, at 11:38 PM, Tansel Ersavas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I did similar things a looooong time ago, I am not sure if I can find but I will look this weekend.

Thank you - and nice to see your name on the list again.

tim
"Wibble" said Pooh the stress beginning to show.

Re: Has anyone made Morphs good for showing compass like visuals?

Tom Rushworth-2
Hi All,

On 10/03/2017 11:00, tim Rowledge wrote:
> [snip]
...For wind speed and direction I think a compass rose and some
magnitude indicator like the length of the needle would work.

Why not leave the length of the needle as fixed, and use either:

   (a) the colour, or
   (b) the number of decoration (e.g. arrowheads)
       ASCII graphics won't show much, but here goes -
       -------> gentle breeze
       ------>>
       ----->>>
       ---->>>>
       --->>>>> gale

for speed? FWIW, I think there is a type of wind speed/direction map
that uses a grid of small needles with varying numbers of half
arrowheads to show strength.  I can't dig up an example at the moment
though.

Regards,

Tom Rushworth

Re: Has anyone made Morphs good for showing compass like visuals?

Ken G. Brown
Try <http://windalert.com>
Search for a place on the map, then explore all the widgets. If you see a balloon on the map, click it to reveal options.

Ken G. Brown

On Mar 10, 2017, at 13:09, Tom Rushworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ron Teitelbaum
We have one that is just png images.

pasted1
you just rotate the arrow when you click:

onCompassDownProportional: evt

"Mouse down in the compass rose.  Turn toward the heading indicated by the mouse position.
The further the heading is from our current one, the more we turn."

| hitAngle oldAngle diff factor |

factor := 1.5.  "Divisor of turn to take at each tick.  1 gives immediate full rotation."

hitAngle := 360 - ((32@32) bearingToPoint: (evt position)).
hitAngle < 0 ifTrue: [hitAngle := hitAngle + 360].
oldAngle := compassArrow angle - 90.
oldAngle < 0 ifTrue: [oldAngle := oldAngle + 360.].

diff := (hitAngle - oldAngle).
lastEvent := evt.

(diff abs) < 1 ifTrue: [
^ self
].

"Take the shorter path around the compass..."
diff > 180 ifTrue: [
diff := diff - 360.
] ifFalse: [
diff < -180 ifTrue: [
diff := 360 + diff.
].
].

"unless direct, put a ceiling on the amount of spin in a single increment."
factor > 1 ifTrue: [
diff positive ifTrue: [
diff := diff min: 120.
] ifFalse: [
diff := diff max: -120.
].
].

newAngle := oldAngle + (diff/factor).

self signal: #rotateToNewAngle.

Then just set the rotationAngle on the image.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 3:22 PM Ken G. Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

compassRoseOver.png (4K) Download Attachment
compassRose.png (2K) Download Attachment
compassRoseDown.png (2K) Download Attachment
compassArrow.png (332 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Has anyone made Morphs good for showing compass like visuals?

timrowledge

> On 10-03-2017, at 12:56 PM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We have one that is just png images.

I get it. Very simple.

tim
An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.