Having a more robust PharoLauncher in low-bandwidth conditions

Having a more robust PharoLauncher in low-bandwidth conditions

SergeStinckwich
Dear all,

in low-bandwidth countries, this is almost impossible to use
PharoLauncher to dl new images from the CI. The problem is not really
the speed (you just have to wait) but the robustness of the system.
Most of the time, you PharoLauncher crash or you have an error like :
"can't find EOCD position" before the end the of the download.

I dunno exactly how PharoLauncher download images, but is it possible
to think about a more robust way to dl images ? To be able to continue
a dl if a network problem occurs (something like wget or curl) ?

Thank you.
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Having a more robust PharoLauncher in low-bandwidth conditions

Peter Uhnak
> something like wget or curl

there's also zeroconf as the alternative, or directly downloading the zip http://files.pharo.org/image/

Also Stef made a flash stick with Pharo, videos, etc. exactly for places like this (with bad or no internet).

But of course PharoLauncher shouldn't crash. Alternatively PharoLauncher as far as I know has a local cache, so maybe if you need just a fresh image and not the latest one you could reuse that?

Peter

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> something like wget or curl
>
> there's also zeroconf as the alternative, or directly downloading the zip
> http://files.pharo.org/image/

I'm not sure I can use images build on the CI with zeroconf.

> Also Stef made a flash stick with Pharo, videos, etc. exactly for places
> like this (with bad or no internet).

Yes, sure. But you want to dl recent images, this does not work :-)

> But of course PharoLauncher shouldn't crash. Alternatively PharoLauncher as
> far as I know has a local cache, so maybe if you need just a fresh image and
> not the latest one you could reuse that?

I will look at PharoLauncher code if I have some time. At the moment,
I'm using wget to dl to my PharoLauncher directory.

Thank you.