Having in mind an Amber ecosystem

sebastianconcept
Hi guys,

This might sound redundant but please have in mind doing (very) easy to add/load "plugins" in amber.

I'm coding some javascript sdk social logins apis (facebook, linked in, g+) that might very well be useful for others and would be great to have it published in github.

Publishing the whole thing including amber sounds a bit inelegant

What would you do with a piece of reusable and shareable amber software?

Re: Having in mind an Amber ecosystem

Herby Vojčík
Well, with 0.12, with introduction of AMD and required namespacing of packages, it seems no problem to have isolated modules/libraries and load them in any other project. Including the possibility to have them published isolated (and only using amber as bower dependency, for example).

Of course, to actually be able to do it this way, 0.12 needs to be actually released and uploaded in npm and bower, but it seems to happen every moment.

Herby

Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> This might sound redundant but please have in mind doing (very) easy
> to add/load "plugins" in amber.
>
> I'm coding some javascript sdk social logins apis (facebook, linked
> in, g+) that might very well be useful for others and would be great
> to have it published in github.
>
> Publishing the whole thing including amber sounds a bit inelegant
>
> What would you do with a piece of reusable and shareable amber software?

Re: Having in mind an Amber ecosystem

sebastianconcept
sounds great!

looking forward to it

On Oct 28, 2013, at 6:31 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, with 0.12, with introduction of AMD and required namespacing of packages, it seems no problem to have isolated modules/libraries and load them in any other project. Including the possibility to have them published isolated (and only using amber as bower dependency, for example).
>
> Of course, to actually be able to do it this way, 0.12 needs to be actually released and uploaded in npm and bower, but it seems to happen every moment.
>
> Herby
>
> Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> This might sound redundant but please have in mind doing (very) easy to add/load "plugins" in amber.
>>
>> I'm coding some javascript sdk social logins apis (facebook, linked in, g+) that might very well be useful for others and would be great to have it published in github.
>>
>> Publishing the whole thing including amber sounds a bit inelegant
>>
>> What would you do with a piece of reusable and shareable amber software?

Re: Having in mind an Amber ecosystem

Nicolas Petton
Hi guys,

I would like to release Amber 0.12 one of these days. To do that we need
to update the doc on the website and make sure examples are
up-to-date. I don't have much time these days, so if Herby or Manfred
want to do it, I can write the announcement, or we can just wait a
couple of weeks, I'll be back from Argentina.

Cheers,
Nico

Herby Vojčík writes:

> Well, with 0.12, with introduction of AMD and required namespacing of packages, it seems no problem to have isolated modules/libraries and load them in any other project. Including the possibility to have them published isolated (and only using amber as bower dependency, for example).
>
> Of course, to actually be able to do it this way, 0.12 needs to be actually released and uploaded in npm and bower, but it seems to happen every moment.
>
> Herby
>
> Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> This might sound redundant but please have in mind doing (very) easy
>> to add/load "plugins" in amber.
>>
>> I'm coding some javascript sdk social logins apis (facebook, linked
>> in, g+) that might very well be useful for others and would be great
>> to have it published in github.
>>
>> Publishing the whole thing including amber sounds a bit inelegant
>>
>> What would you do with a piece of reusable and shareable amber software?
>>

>> --

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Having in mind an Amber ecosystem

Hannes Hirzel
Nicolas merged in the updated examples
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples/pull/27.

They contain a working Google charts demoby Tom Rake. It is  a git subproject.
Speaking of eco-system. We could have more of these subprojects.

In terms of releasing 0.12
--------------------------------

There is a need to update
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples/blob/master/README.md
with information from the thread

https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples/pull/27#issuecomment-26316272

Mainly 'bower' has to be mentioned in the README file.

--Hannes

On 10/28/13, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I would like to release Amber 0.12 one of these days. To do that we need
> to update the doc on the website and make sure examples are
> up-to-date. I don't have much time these days, so if Herby or Manfred
> want to do it, I can write the announcement, or we can just wait a
> couple of weeks, I'll be back from Argentina.
>
> Cheers,
> Nico
>
> Herby Vojčík writes:
>
>> Well, with 0.12, with introduction of AMD and required namespacing of
>> packages, it seems no problem to have isolated modules/libraries and load
>> them in any other project. Including the possibility to have them
>> published isolated (and only using amber as bower dependency, for
>> example).
>>
>> Of course, to actually be able to do it this way, 0.12 needs to be
>> actually released and uploaded in npm and bower, but it seems to happen
>> every moment.
>>
>> Herby
>>
>> Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> This might sound redundant but please have in mind doing (very) easy
>>> to add/load "plugins" in amber.
>>>
>>> I'm coding some javascript sdk social logins apis (facebook, linked
>>> in, g+) that might very well be useful for others and would be great
>>> to have it published in github.
>>>
>>> Publishing the whole thing including amber sounds a bit inelegant
>>>
>>> What would you do with a piece of reusable and shareable amber software?
>>>

>>> --

> Nicolas Petton
> http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Having in mind an Amber ecosystem

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi Nico,

I started writing an initial version of the release announcement which you can find in 'master'.
Feel free to bend it as you wish ;-)

I added some stuff to the API-CHANGES.txt file which is most probably incomplete.

Today I checked the amber-examples repository and Web as well as NodeJS examples seem to work well.
Only the NodeJS meta example needs to be updated (see https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples/pull/33).
Afterwards we just need to update the Amber submodule to the release version once the release has happened.

What is then left is to update the webpage and maybe the wiki (which is mostly there).
Is it sufficient for the webpage to issue a pull request to the gh-pages branch?
Meaning, is the gh-page branch the contents of the current webpage at amber-lang.net?

Best,
Manfred

Herby Vojčík writes:

> Well, with 0.12, with introduction of AMD and required namespacing of packages, it seems no problem to have isolated modules/libraries and load them in any other project. Including the possibility to have them published isolated (and only using amber as bower dependency, for example).
>
> Of course, to actually be able to do it this way, 0.12 needs to be actually released and uploaded in npm and bower, but it seems to happen every moment.
>
> Herby
>
> Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> This might sound redundant but please have in mind doing (very) easy
>> to add/load "plugins" in amber.
>>
>> I'm coding some javascript sdk social logins apis (facebook, linked
>> in, g+) that might very well be useful for others and would be great
>> to have it published in github.
>>
>> Publishing the whole thing including amber sounds a bit inelegant
>>
>> What would you do with a piece of reusable and shareable amber software?
>>

>> --

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr