Headless Seaside on Debian won't start

Mircea Filip Lungu
Hi guys!

I follow the instructions in the Seaside book (Chapter 23.3.4) to
deploy a seaside image on a Debian server. Although it looks like the
image starts up, port 8087 on which the web server should listen,
never becomes open.

I made sure that there is no other server running on that port. Also,
I the changes and the pharo sources files are present so the reason
can't be the warning dialog that announces the fact that they are
missing. I am using the latest version of the Cog VM and Pharo 1.2.2.

What else could be the reason for which the server does not fully start?

Mircea Lungu
Researcher
Software Composition Group
University of Bern
http://lungu.org/mircea

Re: Headless Seaside on Debian won't start

Lukas Renggli
Hi Mircea,

Are all file-permissions set correct? Do you get a PharoDebug.log?

Lukas

On 4 September 2011 17:53, Mircea Filip Lungu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> I follow the instructions in the Seaside book (Chapter 23.3.4) to
> deploy a seaside image on a Debian server. Although it looks like the
> image starts up, port 8087 on which the web server should listen,
> never becomes open.
>
> I made sure that there is no other server running on that port. Also,
> I the changes and the pharo sources files are present so the reason
> can't be the warning dialog that announces the fact that they are
> missing. I am using the latest version of the Cog VM and Pharo 1.2.2.
>
> What else could be the reason for which the server does not fully start?

> Mircea Lungu
> Researcher
> Software Composition Group
> University of Bern
> http://lungu.org/mircea

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Headless Seaside on Debian won't start

Mircea Filip Lungu
Hi Lukas!

I am actually running the script under my own user, and I have RW
access for all the files.
And no, I do not get a PharoDebug.log.

M.

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mircea,
>
> Are all file-permissions set correct? Do you get a PharoDebug.log?
>
> Lukas
>
> On 4 September 2011 17:53, Mircea Filip Lungu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi guys!
>>
>> I follow the instructions in the Seaside book (Chapter 23.3.4) to
>> deploy a seaside image on a Debian server. Although it looks like the
>> image starts up, port 8087 on which the web server should listen,
>> never becomes open.
>>
>> I made sure that there is no other server running on that port. Also,
>> I the changes and the pharo sources files are present so the reason
>> can't be the warning dialog that announces the fact that they are
>> missing. I am using the latest version of the Cog VM and Pharo 1.2.2.
>>
>> What else could be the reason for which the server does not fully start?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> Mircea Lungu
>> Researcher
>> Software Composition Group
>> University of Bern
>> http://lungu.org/mircea

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Mircea Lungu
Researcher
Software Composition Group
University of Bern
http://lungu.org/mircea

Re: Headless Seaside on Debian won't start

Lukas Renggli
Likely you don't have X on the server, but if you do you could forward
the window to your machine and investigate further. Alternatively you
can try with RFB, but that doesn't come up either if there is
something wrong within your image.

Are you using Zn? There seem to be some issues that makes it fail to
come up, maybe try with Kom in that case.

Lukas

On 5 September 2011 09:37, Mircea Filip Lungu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Lukas!
>
> I am actually running the script under my own user, and I have RW
> access for all the files.
> And no, I do not get a PharoDebug.log.
>
> M.
>

> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Mircea,
>>
>> Are all file-permissions set correct? Do you get a PharoDebug.log?
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> On 4 September 2011 17:53, Mircea Filip Lungu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi guys!
>>>
>>> I follow the instructions in the Seaside book (Chapter 23.3.4) to
>>> deploy a seaside image on a Debian server. Although it looks like the
>>> image starts up, port 8087 on which the web server should listen,
>>> never becomes open.
>>>
>>> I made sure that there is no other server running on that port. Also,
>>> I the changes and the pharo sources files are present so the reason
>>> can't be the warning dialog that announces the fact that they are
>>> missing. I am using the latest version of the Cog VM and Pharo 1.2.2.
>>>
>>> What else could be the reason for which the server does not fully start?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mircea Lungu
>>> Researcher
>>> Software Composition Group
>>> University of Bern
>>> http://lungu.org/mircea
>>>

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> Mircea Lungu
> Researcher
> Software Composition Group
> University of Bern
> http://lungu.org/mircea

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Headless Seaside on Debian won't start

Mircea Filip Lungu
Hi Lukas,

I actually have X on the server. However, although I can export other
applications' windows (e.g. xeyes) when I run the cog vm I get:

could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
 - check that .../coglinux/lib/squeak/4.0-2489//vm-display-X11.so exists, or
 - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
 - remove DISPLAY from your environment.

Although in the .../coglinux/lib/squeak/4.0-2489/ there is a file named
vm-display-X11. I tried to just create a symbolic link to that file which would
be named .so but to no avail.

Do you have any idea why?

Thanks,
M.

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Likely you don't have X on the server, but if you do you could forward
> the window to your machine and investigate further. Alternatively you
> can try with RFB, but that doesn't come up either if there is
> something wrong within your image.
>
> Are you using Zn? There seem to be some issues that makes it fail to
> come up, maybe try with Kom in that case.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 5 September 2011 09:37, Mircea Filip Lungu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Lukas!
>>
>> I am actually running the script under my own user, and I have RW
>> access for all the files.
>> And no, I do not get a PharoDebug.log.
>>
>> M.
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Mircea,
>>>
>>> Are all file-permissions set correct? Do you get a PharoDebug.log?
>>>
>>> Lukas

>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> www.lukas-renggli.ch
>>>

>> --
>> Mircea Lungu
>> Researcher
>> Software Composition Group
>> University of Bern
>> http://lungu.org/mircea

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Mircea Lungu
Researcher
Software Composition Group
University of Bern
http://lungu.org/mircea

Re: Headless Seaside on Debian won't start

Nick
Hi Mircea,

Quick thought: Are you running on a 64bit server? If so, you have to ensure you have the 32bit support libraries installed.
There's also some information about getting X to work with Gemtools, most or all of which should be relevant to Pharo:

Nick

Re: Headless Seaside on Debian won't start

Mircea Filip Lungu
Hi Nick, Hi Lukas!

Nick: The installation of the 32-bit compatibility libraries solved the problem
and now I can run and export the Pharo window.

Lukas: I don't get it why, but now the image runs also headless... The only
seeming difference are the newly installed libraries...

Thanks guys for the prompt feedback!

M.