Headless application that manages ENVY library

Headless application that manages ENVY library

SergioN

Hi,

I'm developing a headless application which can support to access to the ENVY library and perform on itself actions such as load config maps/ apps.

First of all, Are there someone who tries to do this? Which kind of things I have to note to setup it like a development image behaviour?

Then, If there are no default answers for this. I'll send another email with packaging details that I 've choosen and some specific questions.

Thanks!

Re: Headless application that manages ENVY library

John O'Keefe-3
Sergio -

Please send the details of your headless application requirements to [hidden email]. On the surface, what you want to do is not covered by the licensing agreement for VA Smalltalk, but if we know more about your needs, we will try to work something out.

In the mean time you can experiment in a development image. All the APIs you need are in the LibraryObjects and EmClassDevelopment apps together with their prerequisites. So, for example, to load the newest version of a configuration map named Foo, execute: (EmConfigurationMap editionsFor: 'Foo') first load.

Regards, John

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:16:20 AM UTC-5, Sergio Nascimbene wrote:

Hi,

I'm developing a headless application which can support to access to the ENVY library and perform on itself actions such as load config maps/ apps.

First of all, Are there someone who tries to do this? Which kind of things I have to note to setup it like a development image behaviour?

Then, If there are no default answers for this. I'll send another email with packaging details that I 've choosen and some specific questions.

Thanks!

Re: Headless application that manages ENVY library

SebastianHC

I once built a automatic packaging environemt for a customer.

I didn't use a full headless approach. I used the free Notification Area
from TotallyObjects:
http://www.totallyobjects.com/tofree.htm

It's like "headless". You can tweak the code a little and then you have
a completely hideable GUI
  which can show you the progress of the current task once you click the
icon in the system tray.

I also implemented a dev extension within the VAST DEV-IDE which helped
to configure the package. The information/configuration was exported to
XML and then imported and interpreted by the "pseudo" headless packaging
image.

XML is a good bet here since you can easily add additonal information
needed for packaging or loading additional features.

Sebastian

Am 29.01.2013 06:16, schrieb Sergio Nascimbene:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a headless application which can support to access to
> the ENVY library and perform on itself actions such as load config
> maps/ apps.
>
> First of all, Are there someone who tries to do this? Which kind of
> things I have to note to setup it like a development image behaviour?
>
> Then, If there are no default answers for this. I'll send another
> email with packaging details that I 've choosen and some specific
> questions.
>
> Thanks!

Re: Headless application that manages ENVY library

Thomas Koschate-2
On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:16:20 AM UTC-5, Sergio Nascimbene wrote:
I'm developing a headless application which can support to access to the ENVY library and perform on itself actions such as load config maps/ apps.

As a starting point, have a look at my blog entries at http://omasko.wordpress.com and the accompanying code at http://vastgoodies.com.  I create both development images and packaged images (XD and headful) from a virgin image triggered by Jenkins. It wouldn't be hard to adapt some of the classes to do some other things.

Tom