Hello ESUG!

Antony Blakey-3
Hi All,

I hope it's OK to post 'available for work' notices here. Apologies in advance if I have crossed the line.

I have recently left Cincom, where I designed and developed the UISkinning system that has greatly improved the UI of VisualWorks. I also worked on UILayout, which is not yet used in the product.

Most recently I have been contracted to look at porting VisualWorks to iOS and Android/Blackberry (in short - it's entirely doable).

I have in the past worked in both Pharo and Dolphin.

I am currently looking for employment, and would love to travel. In particular, my family has been wanting to move to Europe for several years now, primarily for cultural reasons, but we are open to virtually anywhere. I am also prepared to move alone for shorter term engagements.

I have a lot of experience outside of Smalltalk, which I have found is of interest to many employers when coupled with my Smalltalk background. For example: I owned a venture-capital-funded web development company with 30 employees, so I have extensive front- and back-end web experience, in addition to considerable functional programming experience in a variety of languages.

As far as local language is concerned, I have rudimentary spoken and written German. I believe I could become functionally fluent after three months of immersion in just about any language - I have a background in linguistics, specifically computational morpho-tactics and second-language acquisition, and I am keen to put my so-far-academic knowledge to the test! In particular I have studied Germanic (German and Dutch), Scandinavian (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, and Icelandic), French, Spanish, Finnish, Indonesian/Malay, Arabic, and Korean, as well as the somewhat less practical Esperanto, Latin and Sanskrit :)

Obviously the work permit is an issue, which limits my opportunities to those companies wanting someone with my particular expertise. I have spoken to a number of non-Smalltalk companies in Berlin who assured me that the visa wasn't an issue for someone with my expertise and seniority. So I am hopeful, although I understand it varies from country to country, regardless of any Schengen considerations.

I want to be useful to an employer, where I can contribute something of value.

I have attached my current CV.

Regards,

Antony Blakey

Antony Blakey Long-Form Resume - May 2016.pdf (164K) Download Attachment

Re: Hello ESUG!

Maarten Mostert

Hi Antony,

> Most recently I have been contracted to look at porting VisualWorks to iOS and
> Android/Blackberry (in short - it's entirely doable).

Now that we have native OSX and Windows Skins and a Web framework (AppeX) that runs circles around Seaside in terms of simplicity, Native IOS and Android Apps is the last major missing brick.

For how much does it sell ?

Regards,

Maarten MOSTERT

28 Av Alphonse Denis

83400 Hyères, France

+33 676411296

http://stakepoint.com/

VW on iOS/Android/Blackberry (was: Re: Hello ESUG!)

Antony Blakey-3
Hey Maarten,

> On 22 May 2016, at 18:08, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi Antony,
>

> > Most recently I have been contracted to look at porting VisualWorks to iOS and
> > Android/Blackberry (in short - it's entirely doable).
> >

> Now that we have native OSX and Windows Skins and a Web framework (AppeX) that runs circles around Seaside in terms of simplicity, Native IOS and Android Apps is the last major missing brick.
>
> For how much does it sell ?

It doesn't. They decided to go a different route for the same business outcome (which I am helping them with). I have blind-cc'd them BTW - they might give me permission to discuss the alternative, which is generally applicable, although not for your app (without very significant effort).

The POC for VW on Android/Blackberry and iOS was interesting. I did enough to know exactly how to do it. As a side effect, you would get mobile AND desktop unified GPU-accellerated drawing, gesture support, async multi-threaded IO (ala NodeJS), and solve the threading/modal issues. The trade-off is that this delivers for iOS/macOS/Windows/Android/Blackberry/Linux x86_64/ARM only, and is explicitly not concerned with compatibility with *very* legacy code (all which is what holds VisualWorks back, as I wrote in 2007 BTW - that is not an ex-employee trade-secret detail). The focus of this project would on apps like yours i.e. modern, desktop/mobile, native-integrated consumer apps.

Approx AUD$100,000 + "Cincom Fee" to get there in 6-9 months, without docs. So if anyone is interested? As a consortium, of any size? Result would be delivered as ST and VM diffs to an agreed Cincom release. The consortium would own the IP. Additional users would pay a license, ongoing proceeds from which would be returned to the consortium members (not to me - I would have been payed to do it).

If you are interested, you might like to investigate/promote such a consortium. I'm not putting effort into promoting this idea, and no longer have access to vw-dev for example. This consortium idea could extend to other features BTW, especially for those who don't have 20-year-old apps running on Solaris/AIX etc.

You should contact me privately for further information.

I'm not in a position to fund it, and in any case my experience is that doing commercial work in Smalltalk where the target is other developers, is not feasible, for reasons I described in detail back in 2007. This problem is not exclusive to Smalltalk/VisualWorks, although for VW it is particularly impossible.

Cheers,

Antony Blakey
Ph: +61 438 840 787

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
  -- Douglas Adams