Hello, Im and a litle confused. Can you help me get started please?

Hello, Im and a litle confused. Can you help me get started please?

Photon
This post was updated on .
Hello, Folks. As I wrote in the title, I`m somewhat confused.  I`m new to
programming but I think I understood what OOP is, yessterday before I
discovered Pharo, was I was able to build a simple city model in Visual
Studio (C#), with a city class which was build out of other classes wich
were build out of other classes.
City<-District<-Street<-House<-Room. So I get the idea that we want to
discribe real world systems as network of objects to be able to solve
problems within givin system.

However I have a super hard time to grasp Pharo for some reason. What I
understood so far is that everything is an object even the classes it self,
wich  is super cool by the way. I understand that as I use Pharo I have to
use the libaries aswell since there is no clear cut between language and
package.
I know the browser to a slight degree and I read allready a bit code from
some objects and methods.
But then when i try to call some methods from the classes there I  fail 90%
of the time.

I did not find much learning material online. Only a couple talks on Pharo
and one or two text based tutorials wich were unfortunatly pretty old,
version 1.5 or something like this.
So I really want to dig into this wonderfull subject as the concept seems
fascinating to me. I believe it can be a powerfull tool especially with the
abillity to change things runtime.

I`d be glad to get a little advice on how to start.
Cheers

Re: Hello, Im and a litle confused. Can you help me get started please?

jgfoster
Hi Photon,

A good place to start would be http://pharo.org/ and then look for the link to the Pharo Mooc.

Cheers,

James

On Jan 8, 2018, at 12:54 AM, Photon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello, Folks. As is wrote in the title, I`m somewhat confused.  I`m new to
[...]

Max Leske
Hi, welcome to Pharo!

As for documentation, there are loads of tutorials and screencasts here: http://pharo.org/documentation.

Cheers,
Max

On 8 January 2018 at 09:55:23, Photon ([hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

Ben Coman

On 8 January 2018 at 16:54, Photon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Be aware that there are methods on the "instance-side" of a class
and also on the "class-side" of a class.  One way to think about the class-side
is as an implementation of the Factory Pattern.  Since classes are objects too,
essentially every class in the system has an associated factory-object.
An important class-side factory method is #new. Send this to a class to
get an instance of that class, on which you can invoke instance-side methods.

I did not find much learning material online. Only a couple talks on Pharo
and one or two text based tutorials wich were unfortunatly pretty old,
version 1.5 or something like this.
So I really want to dig into this wonderfull subject as the concept seems
fascinating to me. I believe it can be a powerfull tool especially with the
abillity to change things runtime.

I`d be glad to get a little advice on how to start.

Do the MOOC and the Pharo By Example book.

cheers -ben

Re: Hello, Im and a litle confused. Can you help me get started please?

Stephane Ducasse-3
You can access all the material of the Pharo Mooc at http://mooc.pharo.org
If you can something in C# you should be able to do it in Pharo simply too.

I do not understand your City<-District notation but if it means that
a city has many districts
here is the way we express it in Pharo

Object subclass: #City
    instanceVariableNames: 'districts'

City >> initialize
    super initialize.
    districts := OrderedCollection new.

City >> addDistrict: aDistrict
   districts add: aDistrict

Object subclass: #District
    instanceVariableNames: '...'

You may want to read my latest book on Understanding OOP in Pharo
available at http://books.pharo.org

Good luck

Stef

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:54 AM, Photon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, Folks. As is wrote in the title, I`m somewhat confused.  I`m new to
> programming but I think I understood what OOP is, yessterday before I
> discovered Pharo, was I was able to build a simple city model in Visual
> Studio (C#), with a city class which was build out of other classes wich
> were build out of other classes.
> City<-District<-Street<-House<-Room. So I get the idea that we want to
> discribe real world systems as network of objects to be able to solve
> problems within givin system.
>
> However I have a super hard time to grasp Pharo for some reason. What I
> understood so far is that everything is an object even the classes it self,
> wich  is super cool by the way. I understand that as I use Pharo I have to
> use the libaries aswell since there is no clear cut between language and
> package.
> I know the browser to a slight degree and I read allready a bit code from
> some objects and methods.
> But then when i try to call some methods from the classes there I  fail 90%
> of the time.
>
> I did not find much learning material online. Only a couple talks on Pharo
> and one or two text based tutorials wich were unfortunatly pretty old,
> version 1.5 or something like this.
> So I really want to dig into this wonderfull subject as the concept seems
> fascinating to me. I believe it can be a powerfull tool especially with the
> abillity to change things runtime.
>
> I`d be glad to get a little advice on how to start.
> Cheers
>

> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Hello, Im and a litle confused. Can you help me get started please?

kilon.alios
You got a secret weapon

A nuclear weapon

The ability to ask questions.

Anything you don’t understand ask a question
Anything you think you understand ask a question
Anything you sure you understand ask a question

Then keep asking until you fill the mailing lists with question

People hate asking questions but the love answering them ;)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 at 10:55, Photon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Wow im mindblown. The famous Stephane Ducasse answered me himself :)
I watched a couple talks you gave on Pharo. I followed your dice example
wich helped me alot to understand. By now im much more into it then a few
days ago when I wrote my request. Still I`m new to programming so I cant do
anything usefull yet.

For my example with the city
I meant that each class contained a dynamic list of other classes like city
had a member districts wich was a list of district classes and so on. I`m
not even sure if that is a good thing to do or if a real developer would
realize the city mode in a different way.

Anyways I feel like i know how to proceed now, and have a bit better
understanding of the syntax and this whole object-message concept. Thank you
for your reply mr Ducasse ;)